Trail shoes on the road?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?

How much do you use your trail shoes on the road?

Only for the run to and from the trail
50%
I pull them out for a spec of dirt so use them all the time
No votes
Trail shoes for trail, road shoes for road and I don't mix it up
33%
What is a road?
17%

Total votes: 12

BJH
Lynn Williams

Trail shoes on the road?

Postby BJH » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:47 am

Doonst wrote:
BJH wrote:must buy new shoes part way through the tour.

Paradise Lake, Albion Hills, Run for the Toad; you'll be wearing those new Montrails most of September!

So my Asics are scheduled to be replaced part way through the Fall Tour. Not a big deal. But I was wondering ... how much do you guys use your trail shoes on the road?
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:51 am

I really think it depends on the trail shoes you choose. Some trail shoes are more "forgiving".

I personally criss-cross from trail to road to trail a lot so I tend to wear my trail shoes in the city. I'll wear road shoes when I run on the TM or during speed sessions and the likes. I even wear my trail shoes in the winter - better grip!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 am

So the corollary to this would be: if I'm braving a couple of trail races this fall (just for fun), should I be investing in a pair of trail shoes in, say, the next couple of weeks? Or should I risk running in my roadies?

BG (Quaking with Trepidation)
BG

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 am

BaldGuy wrote:So the corollary to this would be: if I'm braving a couple of trail races this fall (just for fun), should I be investing in a pair of trail shoes in, say, the next couple of weeks? Or should I risk running in my roadies?

BG (Quaking with Trepidation)

Look for the picture of dirty road running shoes in the rotation. Those were my brand new shoes after Sulphur Springs. ;)

I think it depends on the course. Sulphur Springs was okay to do in road runners. Rattlesnake Point was tricky to do in road runners.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:18 am

I got trail shoes last winter... for the better footing only. I do find mine to "sturdy" for running on bare pavement though. I figure that's what happened to my shin back in January.

It looks like they will be getting put to use this fall though! 8) :shock:

I have the Saucony Grid Trail (or something like that :wink: ) I got them at the RR & that was all they had.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:39 am

It all depends on the rigidity of the trail shoe. Some have a more solid rock plate that runs the whole length of the shoe, others are just a beefed up road shoe.

I have the Adidas Response Trail that tend to fall in the middle of the spectrum. I will actually run on the grass boulevard rather than the road on my way to the trailhead.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:40 pm

I find my trail shoes don't have enough cushioning to be running on the asphalt, so I don't use them on the roads. If we have to run along a road, as we do sometimes when we are changing from one part of the trail to another, I will run on the gravel. Otherwise, my knees don't like it.
Jane

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:13 pm

Don't really have an opinion, I just wear road shoes but I had thought that trail shoes have a bit softer sole and would wear out quicker with pavement use.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:43 pm

I find mine are harder, actually, than my road shoes. There isn't as much give in them as my road shoes.
Jane

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re:

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:13 am

Trail shoes can be great on the road if you are out ahead of the snow plows.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Re: Trail shoes on the road?

Postby erinmcd » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:24 am

I generally run to my local trails- 1 of them is 3km by road, the other is 6km by road, so I have a couple of prs of trail shoes that I will wear for those runs, but at least 1 other pair that I wear only on trails.

Altra Lone Peak- only on trails- I don't want to wear down the knobbies too much by wearing them on the road.
Altra Superior- I use these for going back and forth- they aren't very knobby, and they feel pretty good on the road, but give a bit more grip on the trails than my road shoes do.
Salomon X Scream- these are from their City Trail Line- they feel like road shoes, but have a bit more grip so they're good for mixed use.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”