Winter gear?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Winter gear?

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:27 pm

Can someone tell me (since I'm new to the whole running gear world). Will the long sleeve coolmax be good for layering in winter? What would you layer with? I want to ensure I can run outdoors as much as possible...

Pants? (not a yes/no question!)
Shoes?
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:37 pm

A lot of people will layer a long sleeve wicking shirt, a short sleeve wicking shirt, and some form of wind-resistant shell over top. Personally, I think the Running Room's running jackets are pretty good for the price and have all-important reflective piping.

Many women wear running tights in the winter. I think you can find different ones rated for different thermal conditions. Other people wear nylon wind-resistant pants (with or without long johns underneath).

You can pretty much just wear your regular shoes in the winter, but stuff them with newspaper after your run to help them dry out.

Personally I find the biggest issue for winter attire is visibility.

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:38 pm

Holly asked a similar question about winter gear:

viewtopic.php?t=233&highlight=
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:39 pm

Last weekend out of necessity I picked up my first running tights--they're Adidas and have orange stripes that match my RM shirt. Super comfy. They will do for awhile and then if I want I can put wind-resistant track pants over top.

As for tops, just layer, layer, layer. If you have a costco handy, go pick up one of their running jackets. Only $35, but of course they don't have all the bells and whistles that the expensive jackets have.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:22 am

Trish, if you search a bit, or are comfy with eBay, you can do this relatively quickly & inexpensively...

I picked up a couple of pair of heavier tights (they have a really thin fleecy lining) on e-bay last year, along with a l/sleeve top with a high neck. Under that a simple l/sleeve tech shirt and a sleeveless or short sleeve if it's particularly cold. The Running Mania l/s tech will be perfect for winter :wink: (shameless plug). I got a couple of wind jackets (Nike & R.E.I.) which are great and a fleece vest at Old Navy for warmer days.

I athen got a couple of pair of double layer cold weather socks, a few pair of those $1.00/pair mini-gloves, a fleece headband & neckwarmer. As for hats, I have a couple of wool blend hats that I wear for skiing, they are fine for running - keep your noggin warm as we loose most of our heat through the top! I had considered getting Yak Traks, but never got around to it & really didn't need them last winter...

Have fun - Winter has turned out to be my favorite time to run- whod'a thunk it!

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

runlikeagirl
Bill Crothers

Postby runlikeagirl » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:19 am

I saw a pair of Nike winter running gloves yesterday. they were grey with reflective pieces.

not sure how well they work. i was just planning to use the dollar store stretchy ones which cost, you guessed it, $1.00.
Angela
----------------
"I just felt like running" - Forrest Gump

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:04 pm

layering is key for winter. good rule of thumb if you step outside and are comfortable you have too much on. a good wicking layer underneath (maybe two pending how far north you are!) and a shell that sheets the precipitation. tights (relaxed fit or spandex) with shorts or long wicking base layer underneath. for men either some windbriefs to protect the johnson or if you don't want to spend that much dough a "#$ck sock" (tube socks fomr walmart work just fine) will suffice :)

wicking toque - or toboggan for the southerners and wicking gloves and your set! if in frigid temps consider a balaclava as well.....

rune

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:31 pm

In Vancouver:
- Shorts and a long sleeve shirt
- A cheap pair of gloves
- Tights if its below 5 celcius
- A jacket if its raining
- If it snows, find a treadmill

Couldn't Resist :twisted:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:55 pm

molund wrote:In Vancouver:
- A cheap pair of gloves

:D

Don't forget a hat! (not a toque!)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:14 am

molund wrote:In Vancouver:
- A cheap pair of gloves

Ya, ya.. if only I'd taken up running when I lived in the Lower Mainland!
Now I have to run in slush for the winter! Well, there's more snow here, but when I think maritimes, i think slush (good ole' Bluenoser)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Return to “Gearing Up”