Headlamp for running at night.

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
jgore
Abby Hoffman

Headlamp for running at night.

Postby jgore » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:13 pm

I have an old camping headlamp that I decided to start using last week when running with my clinic group at night. What a difference.

No, it doesn't help much with seeing what the footing is like, unless the lighting is really poor.

Where it does make a big difference is with drivers coming from side streets. It's normally difficult for them to see us because their headlights aren't pointing at us so the reflective material on jackets isn't much help. I usually ran with a blinking red bicycle light, but that didn't make as much a difference as you'd expect. Since I started wearing the headlamp, no problems with cars at all. Most of the drivers who have the nose of the car stuck out into the cross street back up in plenty of time to let me by. On the way home tonight, both a cab driver and a pair of young guys in a souped-up 4x4 backed up for me and even returned my wave of acknowledgment. Unbelievable.

I'll be taking it on all my nighttime runs from now on.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Good for you Jim. I find it makes a huge difference to have any sort of light, exactly because of that - reflective stuff only works if light is shining directly on it.

One thing I've seen a bit around here is a blinkie attached to a shoe. The extra movement catches people's eye and it is visible from a few angles.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:21 pm

I run with a yellow reflective vest and also have a large red multi light blinker on my shoulder. It looks dorky but it is effective.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:31 pm

When I run outside in the morning before work I use my headlamp. Sadly I don't really feel safe to do that so I'll only do it when I get to take the dog. The funny thing is, I think she chases my headlamp light. :lol:

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:33 pm

I hang a couple of these LED blinkers from MEC off my person when running in the dark. Though adding the headlamp is probably a good idea too considering some of the streets I cross.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:34 pm

I bought this Petzl headlamp last fall & LOVE IT. :D :D

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=606

It's a must when you live where there are no street lamps.

It's light, adjustable, comes with 3 different color lenses & a difuser.

I've worn it for more than running too. Works great when we're feeding the cows in the evenings or when we worked well after dark on our house addition.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:33 am

have one similar to this:http://www.thequickstore.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15&zenid=6a0ad9d5ced500dd69bb1b0df94b8f27 Sorry for the long link!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Funny, not in a good way, I have had the exact opposite results. I find the number 1 item are the RED LED blinking lights, number 2 is Reflective Material and number 3 is the Head Lamp (unless it is blinking, but try running with that, makes me dizzy). As I drive around my neighbourhood, I have looked at other runners to get an idea, and what I have found is the Head Lamp gets washed out in the the ambient light from street lights, and other cars. I run mornings so there really isn't a lot of traffic to worry about, but evenings are a death trap unless you have a number of "blinkies"
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:05 pm

strider wrote:Funny, not in a good way, I have had the exact opposite results. I find the number 1 item are the RED LED blinking lights, number 2 is Reflective Material and number 3 is the Head Lamp (unless it is blinking, but try running with that, makes me dizzy). As I drive around my neighbourhood, I have looked at other runners to get an idea, and what I have found is the Head Lamp gets washed out in the the ambient light from street lights, and other cars. I run mornings so there really isn't a lot of traffic to worry about, but evenings are a death trap unless you have a number of "blinkies"

I can see how a headlamp hets washed out by streetlamps - living out in the country, I don't have that worry :D
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Two or three times a week, I take the dog for a run at night, in the dark, in the woods (Riverlot 56 for those who live by St Albert). I used to use an LED only mini lamp, but am now using the Black Diamond Gemini hybrid lamp which I bought last year to use in the Death Race. Hybrid lamps offer the best of both words. The Gemini has both dual LED’s and a higher power xenon light source. The LEDs last much longer, but the Xenon light puts out way more power when you need it. Using the xenon bulb exclusively the batteries will lasts between 4-5 hours. When using only LED lights, batteries last up to 80 hours. The lamp runs on three AA batteries which fit in a compartment attached to the strap on the back of your head. Running in the woods at night is a blast.

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:12 pm

I like to wear a headlamp while cycling in the dark as well - along with a headlihgt and tiallight on the bike. Having a headlamp allows me to point the LED at the drivers to ensure I have their attention. Those turtle lights are great for being seen.

We will take one along for dog walks in the dark early morning hours too - while drivers see us crossing the street, its good for finding the poo...
Next Up:
Just get through the next year without more setbacks
Proud Supporter of our Troops Overseas

Return to “Gearing Up”