da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:07 pm

NB 856
I'm on my third pair. :)

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:44 pm

Mizuno Wave Nirvana -- just wearing out my second pair. I love them because they have a wide toe. I like to have wiggling room in there (until my feet swell anyway).

I also have about six old pairs of Mizuno Mavericks here -- I think that is what they were - or maybe Legends? Can't remember and can't find the name on them. I have various colours -- two orange, two different shades of blue.....

I used to wear NB until I switched to Mizuno, must be about three or four years ago based on how many pairs of shoes I have kicking around here :wink:
Jane

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:07 pm

runjanerun wrote:I also have about six old pairs of Mizuno Mavericks here -- I think that is what they were - or maybe Legends? Can't remember and can't find the name on them. I have various colours -- two orange, two different shades of blue.....

The Legends are/were motion control shoes, Mavs are performance trainers. If you're in Inspires now, they're probably the Mavs.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:14 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Running in NB 856 right now, not in love with them, I'll try another Stability shoe next time (Brooks maybe next time), I have way flat feet so I need something to support my arches (or lack of arches) properly.

Anyone in the same boat that has fell in love with their Stabiltiy shoe?

I just had to move up from the Mizuno Inspires due to my ankle instability. They are nice shoes. I tried on the Nike Air Structure (soft & cushy but still stable), Brooks Adrenaline (comfy but wide base at the forefoot) and the Mizuno Alchemy. I like the feel of Mizunos and these felt just great on my flat feet and over-collapsing ankles.

I have had 4 pairs of the Structures, 1 of the Adrenaline and 1 of the Alchemy previously so I know they are all goos hsoes and work with my flat feet. If you want a performance trainer (can be used as a marathon racer) I love the Mizuno Maverick.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:14 pm

ultrarune wrote:no Montrail on this list :(

rune

I guess that's one vote for Montrail!!!!

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:21 pm

Used Saucony Grid Omni for 3 years but went out on a limb and tried the NB 766.

They seem to be a reasonable shoe but in fact do not feel a lot different than the SGOs.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6 - the men's model. I have narrow heels but the balls of my feet and forward are wider than most. These shoes feel great and I can only describe it as getting some of the energy that I'm putting out back when my foot hits the ground.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:22 am

nick wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:Running in NB 856 right now, not in love with them, I'll try another Stability shoe next time (Brooks maybe next time), I have way flat feet so I need something to support my arches (or lack of arches) properly.

Anyone in the same boat that has fell in love with their Stabiltiy shoe?

I just had to move up from the Mizuno Inspires due to my ankle instability. They are nice shoes. I tried on the Nike Air Structure (soft & cushy but still stable), Brooks Adrenaline (comfy but wide base at the forefoot) and the Mizuno Alchemy. I like the feel of Mizunos and these felt just great on my flat feet and over-collapsing ankles.

I have had 4 pairs of the Structures, 1 of the Adrenaline and 1 of the Alchemy previously so I know they are all goos hsoes and work with my flat feet. If you want a performance trainer (can be used as a marathon racer) I love the Mizuno Maverick.

Thanks for your comments Nick.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

cedwards2
Tom Longboat

Postby cedwards2 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:11 am

nick wrote:
klewlis wrote:My first "real" running shoes were Mizuno Inspires. I still love the feeling of them but they give me bad blisters so I only wear them for trail runs now.

The Inspires were my last shoes (3 pairs) before the wobbly ankles forced me into Mizuno Alchemy. Carol runs in the Inspire too. I race in Mizuno Mavericks.

Ohh, we've had this discussion before, haven't we :wink:

Still in Mizuno Mavericks (4 pairs this year) for training and most longer racing. Mizuno Precision for shorter racing (like you Nick, I'm getting older and the feet aren't tolerating minimal support anymore) Adidas Response Comp flats for anything 10 Km and shorter (but that just puts me in a world of pain afterwards)

Maverick will be replaced by Elixir this year. Still haven't seen it though.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:15 am

I wear Asics Gel Empires. This is the third kind I have had in eight years. First I had Sauconys, then Nikes for a long time then this last pair I switched to the Asics.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:51 am

I used to be a New Balance girl.
Then they changed their shoes and I was introduced to Asics.

I love my gel Kayanos!

pHiLLiPs12
Tom Longboat

Postby pHiLLiPs12 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:31 am

My first "real" running shoes were Asics GT-2100's, now with about 500km on them.
Seconds shoes are Mizuno Wave Nirvana's, 125km so far, used these for the waterfront half.
Next shoes wont be untill the spring depending on how much I can get out of these two over the winter

doug
Pain is weakness leaving your body

Legacy 5K Run Markham 30Apr06 0:25:05.5
Angus Glen 10K 6Nov05 0:52:06.2
Angus Glen Half 5N0v06 1:56:46.9

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:20 pm

nick wrote:
runjanerun wrote:I also have about six old pairs of Mizuno Mavericks here -- I think that is what they were - or maybe Legends? Can't remember and can't find the name on them. I have various colours -- two orange, two different shades of blue.....

The Legends are/were motion control shoes, Mavs are performance trainers. If you're in Inspires now, they're probably the Mavs.

Actually, I am not in Inspires now. I am wearing Wave Nirvanas.

Oh, and I wear Saucony trail shoes. I have no idea what model though - all I can say is they are light gray and light blue.
Jane

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:33 pm

I was always a NB guy. Until August. I'm wearing Brooks now. I really do like them a lot.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm

Saucony for me. I have a couple of pair of Grid Omnis and a pair of nice PINK Grid Tangents... I'm amazed at the number of people who come up & comment on my beautiful pink shoes :lol:

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ckct
Johnny Miles

Postby ckct » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm

Asics Gel 1100. Two pairs to train for marathon. Love those puppies.

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:35 pm

My Gel Keyano's are the best. I had a pair of NBs collapse on me.. :cry:
Thousands of kms and the keyanos have never given me a blister or black toes ... :)

(**knocking furiously on wood)
:D:D:D:D

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:06 pm

themonk wrote:Thousands of kms...

:!: :!: :!:

You need a new pair, brother! Shoes just don't last that long!!!

LG
Carpe Viam! ("Seize the Road!")

Maniac #132!!!

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:12 pm

Didn't actually "vote", since, over the years, I have worn at least one pair of every brand listed...

I am definitely not "brand loyal" and will wear whatever seems to be the best value in a protective shoe that addresses my personal mechanical needs.

Lately, though, I have worn Brooks Beasts for a couple of years, and am now trying Saucony Grid Stabil 5s for the first time (because they were cheaper than the Brooks).

I read the reviews in Runner's World and Running Times for the highest-rated Motion Control shoe, and choose from the top models.

LG

Maniac #132!!!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:30 pm

OK....in summary.

Asics are by far the #1 shoe brand with 37%
New Balance, Mizuno & Saucony come next with 16, 14 & 12%
Nike, Brooks & Adidas come in next with 8, 6 & 4%
Montrail comes in with 1 loyal follower
Reebok comes in dead last with a big fat zero

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:49 pm

nick wrote:OK....in summary.

Asics are by far the #1 shoe brand with 37%
New Balance, Mizuno & Saucony come next with 16, 14 & 12%
Nike, Brooks & Adidas come in next with 8, 6 & 4%
Montrail comes in with 1 loyal follower
Reebok comes in dead last with a big fat zero

Disclaimer: And these results are "statistically insignificant" due to a population of 62, right Angela? :lol: (Have you covered that yet?)

Maniac #132!!!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:27 pm

I have been wearing Saucony for about five years now, but I tried on the new Pearl Izumi stability shoe (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and it may be my next purchase. It hugs your foot and has lots of toe room. I just have to make sure it has enough support for me to run in, as I have nice wide, flat feet!

Colleen :D

dmchardie
Bruce Kidd

Postby dmchardie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:15 am

Umm ... a recent inventory of my running shoes: Asics GT 2060, 2070, 2080, 2080, 2100.
I'd say its Asics for me.
However, I did run my first marathon in Saucony Grid Stabil and I trained on a NB shoe one winter.
Running Blog: http://danmchardierunning.blogspot.com/

Miramichi 10K: 38:42 (PB)
Grande-Digue 15K: 1:02:08 (PB)
Legs for Literacy Half-Marathon: 1:31:32 (PB)
2005 Royal Victoria Marathon: 3:19:00 (PB)

tanjo
Johnny Miles

Postby tanjo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:42 pm

I am a Saucony girl. I am alternating between 3D Grid Hurricane 7s and 6s. When I bought the second pair of Saucony's I tried a couple of other brands, and just didn't feel as good in them. Love the wide toebox.

Return to “Gearing Up”