LSD Hydration

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.

How do you carry your water/gatorade for your LSD?

Don't carry any
8%
Carry a water bottle
28%
Use slanted water bottle holder
48%
Use camelback/platypus
16%

Total votes: 25

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

LSD Hydration

Postby RA. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:35 am

After going to my RMT last night, I realized that I need a new way to carry my drinks on my LSDs. I used to carry my water bottle in my hand, but due to my knot in my back, I am not allowed to do that anymore...

Just wondering how you guys & girls carry your liquids, and any comments on the different types. I am thinking of getting a platypus or camelback thing, but I need one that fits a ladies frame... I hate my water bottle holder as it bumps around and just drives me nuts. Do the slanted ones really stop the bouncing?

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:37 am

I did not vote since there is no choice for Fuel Belt.

I find Fuel Belt the most confortable hydration method in long runs.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:38 am

I just started using the Fuel Belt slant bottle holder that includes two fuel belt water bottles, as well ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:39 am

I use a slanted one but had the change the bottle that came stock with it as it kept slipping out and falling on the ground. Once I put a slightly wider bottle in, I have found it to work great.
Only downfall is that on a much longer LSD it just wasn't enough liquid. I have run into fast food joints for a fill up when needed. :-)

I am really curious to hear reports from folks who use that running backpack/platypus. I have one for biking but it is not the right size to try running with it.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 am

ChrisL wrote:I did not vote since there is no choice for Fuel Belt.

didn't think of that one. tried to add it in for the poll, but don't seem to be able to... this may be a popular option...

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:52 am

I use a slanted one from MEC. Great price and it holds the bottle in well. They also have a dual slanted water bottle holder.
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:54 am

Oops - I should add that for REALLY long runs I use a backpack style that I got from Costco for $25. It came with the internal bladder and TWO backpacks, one really small that only holds a cellphone and keys and a larger one with a pouch. They sold out in a hurry. :(
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:55 am

Fuel belt.
Love it!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:03 pm

gjennifer wrote:I use a slanted one from MEC. Great price and it holds the bottle in well. They also have a dual slanted water bottle holder.
i was just there at lunch looking for one of these, none there. but they do have a backpack style one for $33 that i am thinking about.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:44 pm

ChrisL wrote:I did not vote since there is no choice for Fuel Belt.

I use a fuel belt, too.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:51 pm

I use the same $6 CDN Tire Coleman water bottle holder I got when I started walking. I'm just SO used to it I don't want to change to anything else till after my marathon. Since I live out in the country, I just drive my route & stash a couple of extra bottles along the way if I need them.
I saftey pin my gel pkgs to the belt & rip them off one by one as I need them - so far works great. Even has to little zip pockets to hold my keys & extra mp3 batteries. It looks rinky dink - but I love it.

Cheryl
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:52 pm

Camelbak makes the "Charm" which is a woman specific fit. The chest strap is in a "more appropriate" position than the generic ones. The RR sells them and I have one, just haven't run with it yet. Hopefully I will get back on the road soon though and I will be able to post a review.

Colleen :D

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:56 pm

eme wrote:The chest strap is in a "more appropriate" position than the generic ones.
Colleen :D
that is what i was wondering about! i tried one on at MEC today and the strap was around the waist... not sure how that'd work.

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:01 pm

I have a slanted holder, a 2-bottle fanny pack, and a set of handheld bottles (with hand straps). Honestly, I use all 3 depending on the distance and terrain.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:19 pm

I have a MEC slanted WB holder. It has an elastic band that goes around the top of the bottle to keep in place. There is hardly any movement from the bottle. It did take some getting used to wearing the belt though (I find the pressure from the belt makes me have to go pee).
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:14 pm

My choice wasn't on there. I use an upright water bottle holder that I wear in front. It is from MEC and cost $12. Works great. For longer runs when I'll need more gels, I bought one of those clip on flask holders.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Okay guys, can we talk? I think an important consideration is being forgotten...

Those camelbaks are dorky. There. I said it.

When I see somebody running with one I have to wonder why they're in such a rush to get from math class to history class.

The slanted bottle holders are pretty good, although I find the RR ones loosen up over time and won't hold the bottle tightly anymore.

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:38 pm

This is hydration/camel pack I use:

The weight is really well distributed. Have used it for two marathons now and is totally invaluable on all my LSD's. Holds 1.5L I think.

I used to use the waist pack with the slanted bottle in the back but after 2 years, I just can't stand the pressure on my stomach anymore (plus it just doesn't hold enough liquid)

SB
Last edited by Gummivore on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:39 pm

Some one mentioned their water bottle falling/bouncing out. If you put 1 or 2 elastic bands around your bottle that will probably stop the problem.

I admit, I have been eyeing the fuel belt. I run with a bottle in hand lately. I know several great "water stations" around the city too. Let me now if you are interested...
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:40 pm

dgrant wrote:Those camelbaks are dorky. There. I said it.

I totally agree. :twisted:
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:54 pm

molund wrote:set of handheld bottles (with hand straps).

I've been looking at these to be used with my bottle holder for looonnnggg runs, how do you like them?

I use a slant bottle holder, also has a gel flask built in too, and a big pouch for goodies. I wear it up front, looks slightly dorky, but rides nice and has easier access. I flip it around to the back when it come time for the Glam shots.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:58 pm

Slanted MEC holder with a 750ml bottle instead of the 500ml that it came with. It holds enough for a half marathon distance for me.

Scott

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:01 pm

Are the fuel belts the ones with all the tiny flasks around them? Those look kinda small, do they actually provide enough hydration? I thought you dilute your gels in them only. Please enlighten me!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:07 pm

Do you "carry" less water on you when your actually racing - in other words using water stations to hydrate?? Is this more of a training tool to use on LSD"s?

I can't imagine running somewhere hot & humid like Honolulu with a camel back on. But I've never tried one so who knows.

Cheryl
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Robbie-T wrote:
molund wrote:set of handheld bottles (with hand straps).

I've been looking at these to be used with my bottle holder for looonnnggg runs, how do you like them?

They take a little getting used to. The weight isn't really the issue. Its the swooshing of liquid in your hands that feels weird at first. Now that I am used to the feeling, I like these better than either of my waist belts.

They are really great on technical trail runs where you need to watch your footing.

I might stop using them over the winter though. In the winter time, they might cause your hands to get cold a lot faster, and I don't like wearing gloves.

Return to “Gearing Up”