Running jacket (& pants)?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Running jacket (& pants)?

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent running jacket and pants for a reasonable price, that will keep the rain off ya?

I went looking today, but didn't have time to make it downtown to RR. There is nothing left anywhere, ladies stuff is almost non-existent, but especially size L., and men's S gone too.

And what's with every ladies jacket being a shade of baby blue? :roll: :x
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:00 pm

Personally I think the RR running jackets are pretty good. They're more expensive than what you might get lucky and find at Winner's or MEC, but mine has stood up to a lot of wear and tear pretty well.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:09 pm

Yep..I agree with Dave..I think the R.R. jacket is good value.

I got mine in 2002...a brilliant lime green (as jgore will attest to I am not known for my subdued running clothes...I justify this by the fact that I dress so very conservatively for work :shock: )

I am sailing into winter no. 4 of running (wow..I can hardly believe that) and have no reason to replace the first R.R. jacket I bought.

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:12 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I got mine in 2002...a brilliant lime green (as jgore will attest to I am not known for my subdued running clothes...)

Uh, Hula Girl, I don't think you need me to back you up on this one. :wink: :D

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:13 pm

I am with Dave on this one. Running Room jackets are really good and what you get is of good value. For women, they have a very good assortment of colors. There is no point of getting a cheap jacket since if it does not keep the weather out, you will have a miserable time running.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:19 pm

jim...you are so very very mean to me :wink: :wink:

thread highjack :shock:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:25 pm

MEC has good stuff, and generally at a better price than RR.
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:29 pm

Superstore has CCM jackets. They are around $20 I think. Buy 5 of them and you only have to do laundry once a week.

I buy all my running clothes from stores like Superstore, Walmart, and Target. I never pay more than $15 for a long sleeve technical shirt (Walmart). $4.99 for 2 pairs of coolmax socks (Target).

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:41 pm

I love my Saucony jacket that I got a few weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to wear it in the rain yet, but that could be coming on Sunday!
Jane

bigblue1ca
Johnny Miles

Postby bigblue1ca » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:03 pm

MEC sells almost the same jacket as the RR for $15 less. My friend has one and loves it. I went for the step up from that at MEC and got a waterproof/breathable jacket, as I use it for biking and running. Although it still looks very similar to the other ones.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:14 pm

thanks to gjennifer I picked up an Avia jacket at Costco a few weeks ago. It was $35 dollars (I think. Can't remember). Jennifer has two and says they're great. Not as fancy as the expensive ones, but good for those of us on a budget. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:16 pm

klewlis wrote:thanks to gjennifer I picked up an Avia jacket at Costco a few weeks ago. It was $35 dollars (I think. Can't remember). Jennifer has two and says they're great. Not as fancy as the expensive ones, but good for those of us on a budget. :)

Why doesn't the Costco.ca website show clothes? :(
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:17 pm

I"ll put my vote in for the RR jacket. I've had mine since I started running (about 4 years now!) and it's still doing great!! I wear it all the time - to work, to run in et c. (It is blue, but, I chose it to be that colour!)

I can't say enough about it...it breathes, it wicks, it's just great!!

Something interesting about their jackets that I have learned is that it is considered their "loss leader" - as in they don't make any money on them - they sell them at cost - since they are their trademark, that's what gets people into the store. Now, I may be wrong on that, but it was 100% the best $69.99 (before tax) that I have ever spent! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:19 pm

irongirl wrote:I"ll put my vote in for the RR jacket. I've had mine since I started running (about 4 years now!) and it's still doing great!! I wear it all the time - to work, to run in et c. (It is blue, but, I chose it to be that colour!)

I can't say enough about it...it breathes, it wicks, it's just great!!

Something interesting about their jackets that I have learned is that it is considered their "loss leader" - as in they don't make any money on them - they sell them at cost - since they are their trademark, that's what gets people into the store. Now, I may be wrong on that, but it was 100% the best $69.99 (before tax) that I have ever spent! :)

To be honest with you, after looking around today I was expecting the RR jackets to be much more than that. The closest thing I found to what i was looking for was $80 on sale from $120.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:55 pm

EasternTrish wrote:
klewlis wrote:thanks to gjennifer I picked up an Avia jacket at Costco a few weeks ago. It was $35 dollars (I think. Can't remember). Jennifer has two and says they're great. Not as fancy as the expensive ones, but good for those of us on a budget. :)

Why doesn't the Costco.ca website show clothes? :(

Each Costco sells different stuff at different times. I've learned my lesson that with Costco - if you see something you like - buy it right away, otherwise it may not be there next time.

I have one of the RR jackets and I love it.

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:22 pm

bigblue1ca wrote:MEC sells almost the same jacket as the RR for $15 less.

That's right. Two years ago, when I looked, it was exactly the same as the classic RR jacket, save for the logos, and the MEC jacket was $77, or virtually the same price. It's $65 now, so it looks like they've dropped the price.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442587481&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692343&bmUID=1129864243811

irongirl wrote:Something interesting about their (RR) jackets that I have learned is that it is considered their "loss leader" - as in they don't make any money on them - they sell them at cost - since they are their trademark, that's what gets people into the store. Now, I may be wrong on that, but it was 100% the best $69.99 (before tax) that I have ever spent! :)

I've always assumed this was the case, since it is about the only item at the RR that is priced reasonably, though it's been $79.99 for years...

And what does it say if their "loss leader" can be underpriced by 18.75% by a competitor?!

http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=752

LG
Carpe Viam! ("Seize the Road!")

Maniac #132!!!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:33 pm

irongirl wrote:Something interesting about their jackets that I have learned is that it is considered their "loss leader" - as in they don't make any money on them - they sell them at cost - since they are their trademark, that's what gets people into the store.

I haven't heard about this one, at least it was never mentioned in my staff briefings. I can tell you that the mark up is more than you think, otherwise they would be loosing money to staff discounts on those jackets (and you know that no company would loose money to their employees).

It is still a very good all round jacket (same with the MEC ones, there can't be that many suppliers for running/bike jackets so they could be even made by the same manufacturer!).

As far as jackets go, the more you want the jacket to do (wick, vent, wind/waterproof), the more it will cost you.

Colleen :D

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:42 pm

eme wrote:I haven't heard about this one, at least it was never mentioned in my staff briefings. I can tell you that the mark up is more than you think, otherwise they would be loosing money to staff discounts on those jackets (and you know that no company would loose money to their employees).

Well, it is great advertising, and that's what a loss-leader is all about. I mean, those jackets are omni-present...

eme wrote:It is still a very good all round jacket (same with the MEC ones, there can't be that many suppliers for running/bike jackets so they could be even made by the same manufacturer!).

I can virtually guarantee they are.

eme wrote:As far as jackets go, the more you want the jacket to do (wick, vent, wind/waterproof), the more it will cost you.

No doubt about that. The one, easy, improvement to the "classic" jacket would be to include a horizontal flap vent on the back; would cost very little, yet dramatically improve the performance...

LG
Carpe Viam! ("Seize the Road!")

Maniac #132!!!

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:49 pm

Funny -- I'm only just reading this thread now, but today was 'jacket-shopping' day in my world. After looking at the all-black-and-grey-Adidas-blandwear at SportChek today, I wound up going back to RR for the ubiquitous brightly-coloured jacket ... I bought the two-tone yellow and black that makes me think "Star Trek: The Next Generation" at $79.99 + applicable taxes. Give me bright colors and reflective stuff any day.

(I dreaded opening this thread, thinking I would be reading two pages of posts saying 'don't buy the RR jacket, whatever you do!' -- glad it went the opposite way!)
BG

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:57 am

Well,
if I get in before the 31st, my 10% off RR coupon from the RftC will make it worthwhile then!
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

runlikeagirl
Bill Crothers

Postby runlikeagirl » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:16 pm

EasternTrish wrote:Well,
if I get in before the 31st, my 10% off RR coupon from the RftC will make it worthwhile then!

Just today I used the 20% coupon I got at the Toronto Marathon on a new pair of shoes. I did my research and they were cheapest at RR w/ this coupon, of course.
Angela
----------------
"I just felt like running" - Forrest Gump

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:44 pm

lbgradwell wrote:The one, easy, improvement to the "classic" jacket would be to include a horizontal flap vent on the back; would cost very little, yet dramatically improve the performance...LG

I agree! The only problem is that it would increase the cost...

Colleen :D

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:58 pm

OK, this one isn't exactly inexpensive BUT... I was totally drooling over it the other day at Endurosport. It's super nice. The sleeves zip off and it feels really soft. It's the Sugoi "Forum" jacket and it's, um, $194. Got a birthday coming up? :)

"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:04 pm

lbgradwell wrote:
bigblue1ca wrote:MEC sells almost the same jacket as the RR for $15 less.

That's right. Two years ago, when I looked, it was exactly the same as the classic RR jacket, save for the logos, and the MEC jacket was $77, or virtually the same price. It's $65 now, so it looks like they've dropped the price.

I have the MEC jacket (purchased before I had ever set foot in a Running Room). The only difference I noticed was that the MEC jacket has a little thumb loop for holding the sleeve down while cycling. The RR jacket doesn't have that.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Return to “Gearing Up”