Chest Warmer / The WarmFront

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Chest Warmer / The WarmFront

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:11 am

Well, after struggling through half of winter, I made the executive decision to add a new piece of gear to all the junk I presently own. A chest warmer! http://www.thewarmfront.com/home.html
I have been in contact with the good fellow & I'll post a report on how it works (on the bike & the run) as soon as I receive it :D
I never have a problem with my back because the backpack adds the extra layer of warmth as well as crash protection :roll:
Last edited by Sir Crashalot on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27 am

Come On, all the Guys on the Tour use Newspaper :)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:36 am

ha! I love how the website changes when you go to the women's version!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 am

I used a plastic garbage bag in one cyclocross race, chest stayed warm against the wind :D but overheated rather quickly :roll:
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 am

Save your money. Just take a old sweatshirt and cut off the sides and back. :lol:
Live to Run; Run to Live.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 am

Here goes! Certainly not the coldest day on the planet to test out the WarmFront but I put it on this morning for the commute.

From http://weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/q ... ric_e.html
Observed at: Montréal-Trudeau Int'l Airport 7:00 AM EST Monday 4 February 2008
Condition: Cloudy
Temperature: -4.6°C
Pressure / Tendency: 102.9 kPa / rising
Visibility: 24 km
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: -8.1°C

Since this was the first time, I was pretty much all dressed & realized that I did not put the bib on yet. So, I clipped it on around my neck but over my sweatshirt vs under it. It worked out quite well as I thought it would be a bit bulky over the sweatshirt. I will be sure to try it under the sweatshirt tonight on the way home. There was an immediate difference felt when I initially got moving as that would be the time I would feel any cold on my chest. I would say the cold air leaks through the zipper even with the stormflap there (I wear a NorthFace non-insulated shell). It was like wearing an extra layer without the extra layer on my back & arms...certainly more freedom of movement.
That is all for now, I will update when it gets colder around here as -4c is nothing. Road conditions were so so, partially snow cleared in some areas & somewhat lousy in others which translates to lots of body english to get the bike going where I want it to go... sort of... Montreal had a major snowfall on Friday night/Saturday am. Luckily, it was over the weekend & the snow clearing crews had the chance to do their thing.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Observed at: Montréal-Trudeau Int'l Airport 10:00 AM EST Thursday 7 February 2008
Condition: Light Snow
Temperature: -10.3°C
Pressure / Tendency: 100.9 kPa / rising
Visibility: 2 km
Humidity: 75%
Windchill: -20

Today was a good test day! I made it a point to dress as if it was around -5 / 0c to stay a bit colder than usual. Once out the door, it was very obvious that the chest area was quite warm (pretty near perfect comfortable temperature) than the arms (did not want to wear a long sleeve base layer under the sweatshirt).
Heading into the wind proved even a better test, & to make matters worse, it was very slow going on the commute to work. The slush & road crud from last night froze over so it was icy & bumpy the whole way. Lots of body english required while riding the tall gears to prevent wheel spin.

invisible
Percy Williams

Postby invisible » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:47 pm

Just try doing 20 push ups before going out the door. I've never encountered weather cold enough to require extra insulation for the chest area. I have a wind pro vest, but it would be too hot to wear it under a jacket. I wear it instead of a jacket.
90 percent of the game is not giving up.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:58 pm

invisible wrote:Just try doing 20 push ups before going out the door. I've never encountered weather cold enough to require extra insulation for the chest area. I have a wind pro vest, but it would be too hot to wear it under a jacket. I wear it instead of a jacket.

You're a better person than me!
Don't think I would last long on the bike with just a vest :lol: :lol: :lol:

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:45 pm

invisible wrote:Just try doing 20 push ups before going out the door. I've never encountered weather cold enough to require extra insulation for the chest area. I have a wind pro vest, but it would be too hot to wear it under a jacket. I wear it instead of a jacket.

hmmm - i would never get out the door if i had to do 20 pushups first. :wink:
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

invisible
Percy Williams

Postby invisible » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:

You're a better person than me!
Don't think I would last long on the bike with just a vest :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you were talking about Winter cycling. It's been years since I've done that, so I really don't recall what I used to wear. I can see the logic of it though.

invisible
Percy Williams

Postby invisible » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 pm

seuss wrote:

hmmm - i would never get out the door if i had to do 20 pushups first. :wink:

Try it. You'll like it. :) I picked it up from Mary Akor's 'tips from the top' in Runners World. I've been doing it ever since, without a miss.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 am

invisible wrote:I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you were talking about Winter cycling. It's been years since I've done that, so I really don't recall what I used to wear. I can see the logic of it though.

I really thought you were a real tough one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep! One of the few who are a danger to motorists :lol: :lol: :lol:

invisible
Percy Williams

Postby invisible » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:16 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:
invisible wrote:I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you were talking about Winter cycling. It's been years since I've done that, so I really don't recall what I used to wear. I can see the logic of it though.

I really thought you were a real tough one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I am. :) I run (without snow shoes) through snow covered forests.

Sir Crashalot wrote:Yep! One of the few who are a danger to motorists :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did that in the 70's and 80's in the same city that you do it. I'd do it again, without hesitation, if I lived in the city.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:06 am

Return to “Gearing Up”