Shoe Advice Needed!

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Little Nikke
Percy Williams

Shoe Advice Needed!

Postby Little Nikke » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:22 pm

Hi all - I'm a lurker who started running about 3 months ago and my shoes are probably going to wear out any day now (they're about 5 years old, but I barely touched them before 3 months ago). I registered just to ask this question, but will probably be back!

The problem is I have very small feet (size 5 to 5.5) and finding shoes that fit is a nightmare. Am I stuck with kids runners? or do you know of brands that run small - and where I could find them. (I'll be in Winnipeg in December - so far I've been SOL here in Boulder - particularly funny since it seems this is the running capital of the world!)

Advise! Please!
-------
It's a silly time to learn to swim when you start to drown.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm

hi Nikke!

I am not a shoe expert so I will let someone else answer your question.

But I wanted to welcome you to the site! Posting is way more fun than lurking, isn't it? :)

holly
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Shoe Advice Needed!

Postby dgrant » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:32 pm

Little Nikke wrote:Boulder - particularly funny since it seems this is the running capital of the world!

I've heard that about Boulder too. Sounds like a nice spot. Glad you checked in.

You probably already know this, but Nikes are reknowned for being narrow.

Shoes are so important - and you don't want them too big, or you'll have blister problems. New Balance always markets themselves as having the most size / width options, and their adult sizes start at size 5.

Could one of the local running specialty shops special order small sizes for you? Definitely don't settle for poorly-fitting footwear.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:52 pm

Hi Nikke,

I have small feet too (although not as small as you). I wear 6-6.5 in regular (ie non-running) shoes, but the last pair of running shoes I bought are a size 7!! They're Saucony - have you tried this brand. Anyway, my point was that maybe you could try on some size 6's and it'd just depend on the brand/style.

Good luck

Jesse
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Little Nikke
Percy Williams

Postby Little Nikke » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:03 pm

I've heard that about Boulder too. Sounds like a nice spot.

It's gorgeous, with perfect weather and miles of bike/running paths. It's also extremely intimidating with Olympic-calibre athletes running around everywhere (it's a major spot for professionals who want to altitude train)! I mostly end up running at the indoor track on campus - the 98 lbs co-eds aren't nearly as scary.
-------

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Hi...welcome to our group!

First...if your shoes are five years old...even though you have only been wearing them for running the past three months...they are probably already Dead!! Sorry...maybe not what you wanted to hear...no I do not work for a shoe company.

I have a smallish foot...6.5 but narrow...I have just switched to New Balance cuz they carry narrow widths.

If indeed Boulder is the running capital of the world...take ye to a running store...have them assess what you need...and go from there.

And...oh yes...come back here often...for fun and motivation...and gee...even some good info!!

Joanne

p.s. How did you find us???
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Little Nikke
Percy Williams

Postby Little Nikke » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:00 pm

Ack! don't tell me they're shot already! They're comfy and my feet don't hurt - never a blister or sore knee. I wanted to put off buying new shoes untill December to take advantage of the currency exchange. My feet are actually quite wide, but short, so I end up with kids shoes which seem to fit pretty well - I'm just not sure of the quality. Now that I'm sure that I'll stick with the running thing, I think it's time to invest in good shoes.

re: how I found you... My friend Nat (Agent Provocateur) is a poster here and pointed me to it (after having stopped laughing when she heard I started running - I used to show such disdain for excersise)
-------

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi there and welcome !

What ever shoes you buy, make sure they are for your running form. I mean we all hit the ground differently. Some run inside ( underpronator), some outside ( overpronator or supinator) and some are neutral. Look at an old pair of shoes and see how the heel is used...is it used more on the inside or the outside....anyhow...hard to explain but when you buy new shoes, be aware of that and ask for specific shoes specificaly for the way you walk or run.

Did I say that right??

:wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:06 pm

December is not too far away...so yep...wait for that lovely dollar exchange benefit...

As for Agent's chuckling at you...well...you'll show her Girl :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:55 pm

Or try Roadrunner Sports on-line: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp

Welcome to the cult! :D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

JulyButterfly
Bruce Kidd

Re: Shoe Advice Needed!

Postby JulyButterfly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:36 pm

Little Nikke wrote:I registered just to ask this question, but will probably be back!

I hope so! Welcome to Running Mania!! :)

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Welcome!

gypsymom
Tom Longboat

Postby gypsymom » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:15 pm

Little Nikke wrote:I wanted to put off buying new shoes untill December to take advantage of the currency exchange.

Hopefully by December our dollars won't be on par with each other. The gap is quickly closing! ;)

Welcome to our little cyberhome, Nikke. :D
"All great fitness starts with a single gallumph."
~ dgrant

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:37 pm

Welcome.

Most manufacturers do make shoes down to size 5. Retailers, on the other hand, tend to stock those shoes they can sell in volume. Because of this, people with very small or very large feet tend to lose out. Those that do stock small/large sizes often only order a small number of each, preferring to use their shelf space for large numbers of the most common sizes. If you do find adult shoes you like, it may be worth contacting the company that makes them to find out what stores in your area stock your size.

Another approach would be to spend a few minutes calling local stores to see if they have any in your size before you even head out the door. Don't accept a "yes" without someone checking; they should be willing to do a quick scan of the stock room. I know it's a pain, but it could save you a wasted trip.

Definitely go to a specialty running store to get fitted properly. You can pick up shoes anywhere, but it's best to find out which type of shoes you need - cushioning, stability, motion-control. Some people can seemingly run in anything; most of us have problems if we don't get the correct class of shoe.

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:43 pm

check out the fleet feet and they can recommend some good ones. i believe there is one in boulder and one in downtown denver too.....

rune

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:59 pm

And hey, if you keep up the running, your feet may get bigger!

(I so have to go shoe shopping :D )
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

MsMartini
Bruce Kidd

Postby MsMartini » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Hey a Geology Student eh and in Boulder? How far is Littleton or Centennial Colorado from you?

I worked with company in that industry and area. Their name starts with "M".

Look for sales on new shoes. New Balance is better for a wider foot.

Good luck!

MM
2005: CBCF Team Leader over 4K raised!!, TIM 5K - Angus Glen 10K

Upcoming Events:
Santa Shuffle 5K Newmarket - Dec 3rd, 2005
Chilly 1/2 Marathon - March 5th, 2006

Little Nikke
Percy Williams

Postby Little Nikke » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice - and the welcome! I'm actually going to head to Fleet Feet tonight and get a fitting - they don't have any in my size of course - but I can at least get an idea of what I need to look for (and won't feel guilty about taking their time and not buying anything...)
-------

jdr
Percy Williams

smaller shoe sizes

Postby jdr » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:49 am

Hey Nikke, welcome too. I have worked for both Running Room and Enduro Sport in Toronto, and both stores would have trouble fitting under size 6. But I do know New Balance makes good kids sizes that offer more than a little support for smaller feet.

Another problem you may have: you possibly don't weigh enough to activate the shoes. Most supporting shoes for running try to correct foot movement, but a lighter person, most often women, don't exert enough force on the shoe to benefit.

And be sure to have your feet looked at by someone trained to recommend appropriate support systems in shoes!

Little Nikke
Percy Williams

Postby Little Nikke » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:47 pm

heh. Well, apparently I have size 4.5 EE feet (well, one's a 4, the other is just barely over) with a high, very firm arch (no change between sitting and standing). They're ordering a Brooks shoe in a 5D and I'll see how that goes - I'm not holding my breath! Looks like I'll probably go the kids shoe route again. The good news is it'll probably be cheaper, and I'll be able to find a pair in Winnipeg at Christmas (Hello, Canadian Footwear!) .
-------

Return to “Gearing Up”