Need Help: MP3 vs Ipod

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Need Help: MP3 vs Ipod

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 am

Hi Maniacs,

I'm posting this at Ron's request...he's champing at the bit to get me one of the above for Christmas.

I am very low tech so told him that I think I'd like some tunes but he will need to be in charge of this item...I have no interest in technology...yep he'll even have to download the music.

So he wants to knows:

which gizmo should he buy...I think he was planning to get an Ipod...unless you guys think he should get the other.

Also...what music sites are the best

And: a list of good tunes. Keep in mind that I like upbeat...not into really really hard rock...remember I am a "woman of a certain age" :roll:

Thanks friends
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:27 am

From http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1887046,00.asp

Some suggestions for what size memory your player should have.

MP3 PLAYERS:

Do not buy—256MB Flash-based MP3 players: Some of these players are awfully cute and are often well under $50, but they only hold 50 songs or so (more if you significantly lower the bit rate and sound quality).

Maybe buy—1GB MP3 players: Digital music players like the iPod shuffle are passable for people who like music but buy only about half a dozen CDs a year. Music buffs will quickly grow disenchanted with the itty-bitty storage space and lack of impressive features like displays, audio–recording capability, and FM radios.

Do buy—at least a 4GB MP3 player: The iPod nano is a great starter player for virtually anyone, and it could also happen to satisfy someone who owns more than 100 CDs. Of course, those who are really into music will be looking at 20-, 30- and 60GB models.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:31 am

Don't forget with Ipod you can only use it with iTunes. Also Ipods have hard drives in them so they aren't very good with running. Ipod Nano and Shuffle have flash drives so they are better with running (not likely to fail).

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:32 am

drghfx wrote:Do buy—at least a 4GB MP3 player: The iPod nano is a great starter player for virtually anyone, and it could also happen to satisfy someone who owns more than 100 CDs. Of course, those who are really into music will be looking at 20-, 30- and 60GB models.

Can you get a flash player larger than 1 GB? Because I've been told that you should use only flash players for sports.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:27 am

The Ipods are great for running (the mini and nano don't skip when running), and can hold more than enough music. A big advantage of the Ipods is that you can create customized playlists for a Sunday morning run vs. a 10K race, etc... The problem with Ipods is that when the battery dies after a year, it is a MAJOR hassle to replace it. You can't just buy and pop in a new one yourself.

I would say get a 512Mb memory or higher, so you can't just throw a whole bunch of songs on there and forget about it. If you get one of the really inexpensive 256Mb memory players they may still work great, but you'll have to delete and download songs more frequently as you get sick of what's on there.

Jo-Jo, buying music online and downloading it to your player is remarkably easy. It's all just point-click-drag, and the software tells you exactly where to put everything.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:47 pm

I have a 20GB iPod but only use it on the TM. I don't run outside "wired for sound". The Nano looks really good due to its size and no skip. iTunes is really simple and so is getting music or downloading it to the iPod. Make sure you get earphones that stay in your ears when you run. You may need to buy those separately. The standard iPod ones don't stay in well (at least mine don't). I got some that fit in the ear canal and block out all sound and they stay in well. However, not recommended for running on roads when you can't hear anything else....

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:29 pm

I have Apple Mac computers but I really like iPod. I have a iPod mini and I use it for running or when I travel, but if I had the choise now, I would go for a Nano.

I have nothing against other model, but it is hard to beat Apple in the design and ease of use. I had and still have a Sony MD player and the software and the interface was and still is terrible. The iTune software is the best out there.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 pm

ChrisL wrote: I had and still have a Sony MD player and the software and the interface was and still is terrible.

Oh my god! :shock: I had and have a Sony MD player and the software is TERRIBLE! It's beyond terrible!!!! I broke down and bought a Creative MP3 player and it's way better. It's beyond description how bad the software is on the Sony MD player - it's painful!!! I hated it so much I rarely used it.

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:18 pm

I love my Sony MD player, but that being said I'm big creature of habit and have only made 4 discs. And each time I did it was ridiculously painful.

I'm thinking about a nano.

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Postby mayhem » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:15 am

I have an IPod mini and love it.

I listen to music or books while i run (mostly books).

But if I had to buy one now it would be the Nano! I was thinking of getting him one for Christmas since we are sharing my mini!

BTW it's very easy to use!
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)
"Success is my only motherf*****g option, failure's not" Eminem~Lose Yourself

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:33 am

Samantha wrote:Don't forget with Ipod you can only use it with iTunes.

I have successfully downloaded and listened to mp3's other than itunes on my ipod.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:19 am

Thanks RM Nation.

This was just the info I was looking for...will pass this on to Ron..aka Santa!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:26 am

EasternTrish wrote:

I have successfully downloaded and listened to mp3's other than itunes on my ipod.

Yep, we do too. You can import outside stuff into your iTunes library, then put it on your iPod.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:32 pm

I LOVE my ipod! The only issue I have with it is the battery replacement. However because I have the extended warranty (tell Ron to definitely get this) I don't have to pay. Apple's warranty runs out after a year, and my battery died about a month after this point. As I type, my little pink baby is "in the shop"! It should be back soon though, and it's no problem, but I'm so glad I had the extra coverage. Features of the ipod that you wouldn't get with other players
-cool factor 8)
-multiple playlists
-huge storage
Edited to add: Super fast transfer from the computer to the device. A 20 song playlist MIGHT take 20 seconds! I would guess less though. With our other mp3 player it's a good 20 MINUTES.

The nano does look cool, I have to say...
Last edited by QuickChick on Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:52 pm

drghfx wrote:Do not buy—256MB Flash-based MP3 players: Some of these players are awfully cute and are often well under $50, but they only hold 50 songs or so (more if you significantly lower the bit rate and sound quality).

I bought one of these a year ago (Creative MuVo) and I still LOVE it. The sound quality is great. I'm very picky when it comes to music. I swap out play lists on my computer, which is really easy to do. I'd get a bigger one if I were to get one today (creative has the same unit but with 1MB storage), but I find that 4 hours of music time is fine. The only thing I didn't like were the headphones it came with, so I got new ones with neoprene earbuds (most people complain about the iPod headphones, too).

And it uses one teensy AAA battery. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about a fancy battery replacement (a la iPod). I use NiMH rechargeables, but you can use plain old non-alkaline and they work well.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:36 pm

EasternTrish wrote:

Really! I thought you could ONLY use it on iTunes!!! :shock:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:38 pm

dgrant wrote:
EasternTrish wrote:

Yep, we do too. You can import outside stuff into your iTunes library, then put it on your iPod.

Oh ok - you are still using iTunes just not dowloading from iTunes exclusively. Are these MP3's ripped off a CD or downloaded from another site??

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:38 pm

Samantha wrote:
EasternTrish wrote:

Really! I thought you could ONLY use it on iTunes!!! :shock:

Yes, iTunes runs any mp3 - I've downloaded hundreds of them from Limewire to run on my 'puter and on my iPod.
Next up:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 pm

Jwolf wrote:
drghfx wrote:Do not buy—256MB Flash-based MP3 players: Some of these players are awfully cute and are often well under $50, but they only hold 50 songs or so (more if you significantly lower the bit rate and sound quality).

I bought one of these a year ago (Creative MuVo) and I still LOVE it. The sound quality is great. I'm very picky when it comes to music. I swap out play lists on my computer, which is really easy to do. I'd get a bigger one if I were to get one today (creative has the same unit but with 1MB storage), but I find that 4 hours of music time is fine. The only thing I didn't like were the headphones it came with, so I got new ones with neoprene earbuds (most people complain about the iPod headphones, too).

And it uses one teensy AAA battery. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about a fancy battery replacement (a la iPod). I use NiMH rechargeables, but you can use plain old non-alkaline and they work well.

I have the 1 GB one and I really like it. It's probably larger than I need but I didn't want to be constantly swapping lists. But I have to say it's super, super, super easy to upload music too. And it has a good run time on the AAA battery.

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:05 pm

Samantha wrote:Oh ok - you are still using iTunes just not dowloading from iTunes exclusively. Are these MP3's ripped off a CD or downloaded from another site??

BOTH! :D
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:00 pm

DO NOT GET A SONY

Sony does some weird things to music to try to prevent copying. They actually introduced a root kit that exposed your computer to a virus if you played certain Sony CDs in your computer. I posted a warning on it a few weeks back, Here it is
Quote:
If you have purchased or received a Sony CD from the following list of titles
http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html DO NOT PLAY IT in your computer.

It contains code that installs in the root of your computer and opens you up to several viruses.

The original intent of the software install was to prevent the copying of music but things have gone from bad to worse for Sony.
Story here http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-638 ... ag=nl.e501

If you have played any of these CDs Sony will be releasing a patch to uninstall. Also Microsoft has indicated that they will be adding an uninstall to it's anti spyware application.

Since that I would NEVER buy or use a sony product including any CDs that hook up to my computer. (Have I told you that I no longer trust Sony)

My bet would be getting an ipod for running and I would get the nano or the shuffle. I have reservations about using the larger hard drive players for running.

Nano - you can select songs, make up play lists, store photos and other files on it. The 2 gig is around 249 and the 4 gig around 299.
Dollars for gigabyte the 4 gig is your best deal.

Shuffle - size is a bonus very small but you have to take songs in random order. Price is better at 100-169
Both will use ITunes and i would imagine the sound quality in both is similar.
Lots on the market trying to compete with IPOD but few come close to the quality and "neatness" and cool factor of the apple product.

As far as battery replacement goes there are now kits and instructions that allow you to replace your own battery in a IPOD. It voids your warranty to do it but generally your warranty is run out by the time the battery goes stale. The extended warranty is actually a decent purchase when getting an IPOD.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:11 pm

garth wrote:Shuffle - size is a bonus very small but you have to take songs in random order. Price is better at 100-169

I have a shuffle, you can actually set it to play the files in order. (random would not be good since I got it in order to listen to audiobooks! :shock:
Last edited by CeilidhOnTheRun on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:45 pm

I hate, hate, hate my Sony MD player. I'm glad to hear that others find the software terrible - I though I was just incompetent! I've only made a few disks and just keep rotating them through. I'm looking at getting a Nano in the not too distant future. This discussion is proving quite helpful :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:52 pm

I also had a Sony MD player, and I did not find the software complicated, but I found it very fustrating. To copy a song to the MiniDisc, you also have to copy it to too hard drive, and sometimes, it would just not allow you to use a song for no apparent reason. The playlist was a mess, then it would hang the computer for no reason.

I really like my iPod Mini, but I think that the Nano is the best device for running because of the software.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:58 am

I have the MUVO for running. 256M is about right for a 2 hour run, I just pick the songs I want to hear on that run and I'm good to go. The next run, new songs. I can stick it in a pocket and ignore the controls (since I just picked the songs I don't need to forward it)

I have an IPOD mini for riding the train and in the office. I can go weeks without hearing the same song twice, which is sweet. I can also load it up with songs that I would never want to hear while running (Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits).

At Indigo the other day I saw a cool set of ipod headphones, with a remote control built into the wire. It seems that the ipod would make a better running accessory if you could bury it in a pocket and change songs, volume, etc. via the remote.

my two cents
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Gearing Up”