Amphipod

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Andes
Johnny Miles

Amphipod

Postby Andes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:23 pm

So, I need to purchase a water belt, and I like what I've heard about amphipod (and what I've read on old threads on this site). For those that have an amphipod belt, any tips on which version to get (e.g., 2 vs 3 vs 4 bottles)? I will be using it for long runs of about half marathon distance, but could end up stretching the runs longer eventually. Also, any tips on sizing for women? I am right on the edge between the small and medium size, and am not sure which way to go to make sure the belt is not uncomfortable and doesn't move around. Thanks for any input!

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Re: Amphipod

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Andes wrote:So, I need to purchase a water belt, and I like what I've heard about amphipod (and what I've read on old threads on this site). For those that have an amphipod belt, any tips on which version to get (e.g., 2 vs 3 vs 4 bottles)? I will be using it for long runs of about half marathon distance, but could end up stretching the runs longer eventually. Also, any tips on sizing for women? I am right on the edge between the small and medium size, and am not sure which way to go to make sure the belt is not uncomfortable and doesn't move around. Thanks for any input!

I have one and like it very much. I bought the four bottle version. You can remove the bottle brackets and only use as many as you want, so I figured I might as well get as many bottles as I think I might need. I honestly can't remember what size I bought... bought looking at the website it looks like it only comes in one size and the belt is adjustable.

http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html

I have the Runlite 4

I had a bit of trouble in the winter with one of my bottles falling out of the bracket because I think the plastic was just too cold and not soft enough to snap into the bracket. But other than that I love it. Zero bounce. Comfortable.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:35 pm

My review is verbatim. I would only add that I also bought the rapid access pouches and they are extremely handy.

I have 8 and 10oz bottles and I prefer the 10s. I have had two occasions where I didn't properly snap my bottles and once I actually lost it permanently. If you aren't listening to music, better chance you'll hear it drop to the ground. :shifty: :D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Marg wrote:I have 8 and 10oz bottles and I prefer the 10s. I have had two occasions where I didn't properly snap my bottles and once I actually lost it permanently. If you aren't listening to music, better chance you'll hear it drop to the ground. :shifty: :D

This has been my only complaint, I think I've lost three. :oops: In fact I need to place an order for more.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:50 pm

I love mine too! No bounce. I've never lost a bottle, just the lid (my son threw it in the garbage :roll: ). I have the Runlite 4 and sometimes wish I had another bottle. So, if I was buying again, I'd buy a few 10oz bottles too so that I'd have more flexibility.

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear so many of you are happy with it. I will be sure to order extra bottles. Does anyone recommend an online dealer, or did you order by calling the company direct (assuming they haven't started taking Canadian orders online yet)?

fe.sweetpea - I went back to the website and thought I was crazy at first, but when I go to the amphipod online shopping site and click "Add to basket" it gives me the following choices:
Size: Size 1 - Fits 23"-29" waist
Size 2 - Fits 30"-35" waist
Size 3 - Fits 35"-42" waist
Fully Adjustable - Fits 26"-48" waist
I guess I will go with the "fully adjustable" - I just assumed that the sized versions had a better fit somehow.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Ditto on the pros/cons listed. I have the 2 bottle system as I got it when I was running 10K or so only. I've been meaning to upgrade to 10 oz bottles and get 2 extra bottles/clips so I will then have a 4 bottle system.

Also have the single bottle belt with the larger bottle (16 oz I think) that I adore.

Yeah.. I have about 5 hydration systems between Amphipod, a Camelback & hand held bottles. :lol: :oops:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “Gearing Up”