Question on shoes Kayano or Nirvana or Pro grid Hurricane???

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
garth
Bill Crothers

Question on shoes Kayano or Nirvana or Pro grid Hurricane???

Postby garth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:29 am

So I am in the market for new shoes and of course am thinking maybe a change is due. My last few runs have been brutal. getting hip flexor pain and these ones are coming close to a year old

I am looking at 3

Asics Kayano - these are the ones i wear now and to be truthful I like them but have only bought them because i got a good price at Holibird. If I had to pay full Canadian price i think I would still be running in my Asics 2140 because they were a decent shoe and frankly they were just as comfortable.

Mizuno Wave Nirvana 5 - tried this shoe on in the RR the other day and it felt similar to the Asics but it is $20 cheaper. I know that is not the real factor but if they do the same job then i will go for them.

Saucony Pro Grid Hurricane - Tried this one on and although it felt good there was something in the toe box that made it feel loose and even looked wider although the side of my foot was snug in the shoe.

Anyone have any experience with any of these shoes or any comments especially if you have gone from one to another.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:52 am

I run in Kayano, but only because I buy them in the US. I won't pay Can pricing either. Have not tried the others.
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 am

All three are comparable shoes and all are very good.

Wear what is most comfortable for the price you are willing to pay.

runshorts
Johnny Miles

Postby runshorts » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 am

I've run in all three, but my favourite is the Wave Nirvana. Before I found Nirvana the Kayano was my go to shoe; but as a slim-footed runner I get a better fit from the Nirvanas and so now that's my primary trainer. They both offer me similar support, although the feeling when I run is very different. Mizunos are harder underfoot, which I really notice in the winter, and I'm also of the impression that my Mizunos wear out faster - I'm a very lightweight, light stepping runner and I only get about 500K out of the Mizunos. My preference for the Mizuno over the Kayano is based strictly on width - if my foot was wider I might opt for the Kayano. I'm actually considering getting a pair of Kayonos for my long runs, but lately I've been doing distance runs in my LunarGlides. I've got a new pair of Nirvanas on order and I can't wait to get into them!

I find the Hurricane's are the widest of the three, so I wore mine on only on long runs last summer to account for feet swelling. They were great for that purpose, but too clumsy on my feet for any fast running.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 pm

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. If you're happy with the Kayanos you got from Holabird, why not order more from them?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Which version of the Kayanos are you using? If it is version 14 (the lacing is normal) the fit is very different from version 15 (asymmetric lacing that angles toward the big toe: extra structure over the big toe). If you're using version 14, don't count on version 15 feeling the same.

Also, if the 2100-series felt just as good, you could go with that. I think it's the cheapest of the shoes you mentioned and you already know you can use it.

emmacunningham
Johnny Miles

Postby emmacunningham » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Your best bet is to go to a shoestore that carries all three of them and try them all. There's no such thing as "the best shoe", every person matches best with different shoes.
-- http://www.pilatescore.net --

Up Next:
Beaches Jazz Tune-up 5k (Toronto) - July 26, 34 minutes
Oasis Zoo Run 10k (Toronto) - October 17

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:02 pm

emmacunningham wrote:Your best bet is to go to a shoestore that carries all three of them and try them all. There's no such thing as "the best shoe", every person matches best with different shoes.

What she said.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm

jgore wrote:Which version of the Kayanos are you using? If it is version 14 (the lacing is normal) the fit is very different from version 15 (asymmetric lacing that angles toward the big toe: extra structure over the big toe). If you're using version 14, don't count on version 15 feeling the same.

Kayano - seriously, I loved them once but literally every time I went to the store to replace them there would be a new version that would fit differently. The 14 or 15 might be the greatest shoe since sliced bread but by the time I need a new pair they'll be on a new version and won't be right. Not worth getting involved with Kayano.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Mike Runs wrote:
jgore wrote:Which version of the Kayanos are you using? If it is version 14 (the lacing is normal) the fit is very different from version 15 (asymmetric lacing that angles toward the big toe: extra structure over the big toe). If you're using version 14, don't count on version 15 feeling the same.

Kayano - seriously, I loved them once but literally every time I went to the store to replace them there would be a new version that would fit differently. The 14 or 15 might be the greatest shoe since sliced bread but by the time I need a new pair they'll be on a new version and won't be right. Not worth getting involved with Kayano.

My theory is if I wait long enough they might change them back to the once perfect shoe they once were for me! A girl can only dream.

Most expensive shoe on the market but when they worked for me, they really worked for me!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks for the comments folks. I decided to just stay with the Kayano's as my main shoe now. Ordered a pair of 15's from Holibird for $127 US (incl shipping)

I did go into the RR store last week and tried all 3 on and was torn between the Mizunos and the Asics so thought i would "ask the experts" (that's you guys in case you did not know)

I really want to try the Mizuno's so I have decided that I will splurge and use my 20% off and a $10 RR coupon and buy a pair on Tuesday when i go into Thunder Bay. Yikes That will make 4 pair of running shoes on the go with another 3 pair as walking a kicking around shoes.

The wide toe look and feel of the Saucony made it not worth a gamble unless i get them for a dirt cheap price somewhere. (just checked and they are on for $75 at Holibird as a close out special)
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 pm

Mike Runs wrote:

No kidding. They are ExPENsive! But darn good! :)
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

Andes
Johnny Miles

Re: Question on shoes Kayano or Nirvana or Pro grid Hurricane???

Postby Andes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 am

I've tried to use Holabird in the past, but I keep getting a screen telling me that they don't deliver my shoes (Asics) to Canada. Are the rest of you ordering to a U.S. address?

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Andes wrote:I've tried to use Holabird in the past, but I keep getting a screen telling me that they don't deliver my shoes (Asics) to Canada. Are the rest of you ordering to a U.S. address?

Call their toll free number. It's some little rule that they don't sell to Canadian customers "online." If you call them and speak to their customer service, they will send them to you. :wink:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Trail Child Carrie wrote:
Andes wrote:I've tried to use Holabird in the past, but I keep getting a screen telling me that they don't deliver my shoes (Asics) to Canada. Are the rest of you ordering to a U.S. address?

Call their toll free number. It's some little rule that they don't sell to Canadian customers "online." If you call them and speak to their customer service, they will send them to you. :wink:

Awesome - thank you! Just in time for taper shopping :D

Return to “Gearing Up”