What is your favorite running book?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ROW
Bill Crothers

What is your favorite running book?

Postby ROW » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 pm

I am currently reading two running books, Bart Yasso's new book, i've been reading a good 30 minutes of it a day, about 3 quarters done it. In one day, I read 190 pages of Once A Runner. It is so amazing, its poetry. I am waiting till school starts up again to finish it. I am hoping to get Lore of Running (948 page book about running) and Running with the Buffaloes.

What are your favorite running books?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: What is your favorite running book?

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Two books that helped me when training for my first marathon...in getting "my mental on" and that I still read bits of pieces of over and over again:

Running Within: A Guide to Mastering the Body-Mind-Spirit Connection for Ultimate Training and Racing, by Jerry Lynch and Warren Scott

Your Performing Edge: The Complete Mind-Body Guide For Excellence In Sports, Health And Life, by Joann Dahlkoetter
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Once a Runner IS the only book you need to read about running on so many different levels. Not a training manual, but fuels your running soul....which is far more important.

I re-read my tattered copy each year.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm

ROW wrote:I am hoping to get Lore of Running (948 page book about running) ...

I hope you like science. The first 3rd of the book is nothing but science. It's a very good book, but a lot of people get turned off by that part.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:46 pm

jgore wrote:
ROW wrote:I am hoping to get Lore of Running (948 page book about running) ...

I hope you like science. The first 3rd of the book is nothing but science. It's a very good book, but a lot of people get turned off by that part.

Its my favourite running book. I treat it like an encyclopedia, reading topics I'm interested in rather than front-to-back.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I finally read Born To Run recently. Man, that is a GREAT book. A real page turner.

I was under the false impression that it was some kind of barefoot running manifesto, but it's not that at all. It's not even entirely about running.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm

I also love "Once A Runner" and I find "Lore of Running" really useful, but I also use it as an encyclopedia and look up specific topics. I loved "Chi Running" and read it cover to cover. We've discussed it many a time on here... a very easy read and you can take what you will from it. Whether of not you buy into the new agey stuff, it has lots of great running tips.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 pm

dgrant wrote:I finally read Born To Run recently. Man, that is a GREAT book. A real page turner.

I was under the false impression that it was some kind of barefoot running manifesto, but it's not that at all. It's not even entirely about running.

My uncle's friend offered to lend me his copy after we spent hours discussing running at a family-ish dinner, and it arrived in the mail today. I'm looking forward to reading it.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I read "Again to Carthage" after "Once a Runner"- it's the sequel. It was pretty boring for the first half, but once it starts to be about running, it's better. Worth getting from the library, not worth buying. Basically Cassidy makes a comeback and trains for a marathon (the Niagara Falls marathon actually! It's kind of neat to hear him describe the course).
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 pm

I loved Once a Runner and had no idea there was a sequel, so I will have to give that a try. Have just started Running with the Buffaloes. I also have On the Run in the audio version and have been listening to it on long runs; I'm enjoying it so far. Other books I enjoyed and go back to frequently are Marathon by Hal Higdon and an old book called The Competitive Runner's Handbook which has a lot of great content.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 pm

50/50 is a great little book. It is about Dean Karnazes who attempts to run 50 marathon on 50 consecutive days in fifty states of America. It has some useful tips, but it just makes you want to get out and run for the love of it, just run don't worry about the other stuff, just damn run...
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:07 pm

dgrant wrote:I finally read Born To Run recently. Man, that is a GREAT book. A real page turner.

Got the book on CD from the library early this week. 3 discs in and it's been great. Almost more a travel book so far, which I love.

Had the Lore of Running checked out last week. Definitely looks like one that's worth buying as a reference.

Just added Once a Runner to my list based on the recommendations here.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 pm

MikeM wrote:

Got the book on CD from the library early this week. 3 discs in and it's been great. Almost more a travel book so far, which I love.

Yes, exactly. I'd very much recommend it to my non-running friends and family too. It's about so much more than running (and I actually like that the author himself isn't much of a runner... but man is he a gifted writer.)

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:39 pm

I mainly like the books written by elites that describe how they approached the sport.
No Bugles No Drums (Peter Snell)
Running Free (Sebastian Coe)
Brendan Foster also wrote a great book (self titled) describing his transformation from doughy little English kid to world class runner.
Marathoning by Bill Rodgers is another good one.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 am

I would say consevtatively, over the years I have collected over 80 books (biographies) mainly on runners, but I include boxers, horse trainers, jockeys, swimmers and cyclists. There are so many great and inspirational books out there.

I’m going out on a limb here because I love all my books but, pinning it down to two

The Legend of Lovelock. Norm Harris:
The story of Jack Lovelock winner of the 1,500m. at the 1936 Berlin Games

Why Die. The extraordinary Percy Cerruty Maker of Champions. Graeme Sim:
Speaking from personal experience, a complex and amazing man.

Pat Menzies, I loved No Bugles No Drums. Try and get a copy now; as rare as hens teeth
Brendan Foster is another one of my many all time heroes. How did I miss out on that book?
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 am

Its not a book but a short story in a book with this name: The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner. I ordered my copy thru Amazon.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Running books I've enjoyed:

Once a Runner by John L. Parker Jr. - excellent read
Again to Carthage by John L. Parker Jr - should be read after reading Once a Runner - less about running, especially the first half, but still a good read.

The Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb - the quest to break the 4 minute mile barrier.

Tribute by Jeremy Schaap - the story of Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics - I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would.

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm

spirit flower wrote:Its not a book but a short story in a book with this name: The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner. I ordered my copy thru Amazon.

I concur wholey with this choice.
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

hoodoo
Tom Longboat

Postby hoodoo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Years ago I remember reading a couple of books by George Sheehan. He was an excellent writer....thinker. I also remember reading another book by a NUN who ran marathons. I can't remember what it was called, but it was pretty good as well. I guess I better google and find it again.
Run for my Dad June 2013
Run for your lungs august
Melissa's 10K
Winterstart

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 am

I'll be meeting Dick Beardly and Bart Yasso on my running cruise... looking for both of their books! I should have ordered them on Amazon a few weeks ago. The delivery date they are giving me on-line is the day I leave. If anyone has a copy of Dual in the Sun they are willing to give me, I'll take it!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Return to “Gearing Up”