Be safe...be seen - What my community is doing about it

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Be safe...be seen - What my community is doing about it

Postby mcshame » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:21 pm

In St-Lazare, PQ (West of the Island of Montreal) we've had some terrible car accidents involving kids, drunks, etc....

Look at what my city is doing about it.

http://ville.saint-lazare.qc.ca/documen ... antsEN.pdf

Batteries were included for the red flashing tail light :!:

Cost: $7 for the Vest, $1 each for the flashing/reflective arm bands

They will be on me this day forward for my 05:00 runs in the morning.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Re: Be safe...be seen - What my community is doing about it

Postby Tori » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:23 pm

That is a great initiative!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Nice!!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Wow! That is excellent. It's nice to see.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Wouldn't it be more effective to arrest the drunk drivers than make people dress up like flashing traffic pylons?

If our mayor said "this is our solution to drunk driving" I'd be mighty pissed.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:Wouldn't it be more effective to arrest the drunk drivers than make people dress up like flashing traffic pylons?

Actually, they are very active here since a girl was paralyzed being hit by kids racing (no alcohol). There are signs everywhere saying "slow down for Patricia". Another lady in a wheel chair killed walking her dog by a drunk driver. I agree, the penalties should be higher, and the government should do more.

However, I am very pleased with this initiative of the community doing what they can to help people be seen. It is made for running and I'm sure would cost me alot more. There are no street lights in my area or sidewalks and with snow and snow hills, this stuff could be the difference in being seen. I also wear a head light from MEC.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:Wouldn't it be more effective to arrest the drunk drivers than make people dress up like flashing traffic pylons?

It is an attempt to stop accidents regardless of the cause. Even a drunk is less likely to hit you if he can see you.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm

jgore wrote:

It is an attempt to stop accidents regardless of the cause. Even a drunk is less likely to hit you if he can see you.

I think attempts to stop accidents are good but something about this just irks me.

One building I worked in had a problem with thefts from vehicles. A bunch of the companies told the building manager to do something about it. So they put up signs warning people about thefts from vehicles. While technically correct, not really what we were looking for.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

It's great that the city is helping as much as it can!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:
jgore wrote:

I think attempts to stop accidents are good but something about this just irks me.

One building I worked in had a problem with thefts from vehicles. A bunch of the companies told the building manager to do something about it. So they put up signs warning people about thefts from vehicles. While technically correct, not really what we were looking for.

Even if they were to tackle all the known causes of accidents they couldn't be solved overnight. Even one, like drunk driving, is not easy to solve. (I agree that stiffer penalties are in order, but that still would not get rid of all the drunk drivers.) In the meantime, I'd rather do something to avoid becoming a statistic. That's how I take it. No, it's not going to solve all the problems, but it may prevent some injuries and deaths.

You seem to be looking at this as though it's the only solution rather than as a small part of a solution. From Lorne's response, it obviously is not the only thing being done. I don't think your example fits this situation because the building superintendent evidently had no intention of doing anything else.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey...can I order a Vest...that's a great price.
I don't mind pretending I live in St. Lazare. :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so down on this, but a big part of me is tired of feelgood solutions that don't solve anything, or make things worse, or do the wrong thing, maybe because my city is more guilty of it than most.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:29 pm

What really got me moving on this were the snowplows zipping around at ohh-dark-30.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:36 pm

mcshame wrote:What really got me moving on this were the snowplows zipping around at ohh-dark-30.

They ARE scary. Those guys don't stop for anything, so you better get the hell out of the way. I wound up jumping into a ditch to avoid one on a run outside of Kingston because there was traffic on the other side of the road.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:46 pm

jgore wrote:
mcshame wrote:What really got me moving on this were the snowplows zipping around at ohh-dark-30.

They ARE scary. Those guys don't stop for anything, so you better get the hell out of the way. I wound up jumping into a ditch to avoid one on a run outside of Kingston because there was traffic on the other side of the road.

My BIL was hit by one a couple of years ago. He was crossing in a cross walk, with the light. The plow mad a right hand turn without looking.

It was a week after a woman stopped on the highway shoulder was killed by a plow.

They are very, very scary.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Nothing worse than drunk snow plow operators.

And I'm not being facetious! That did happen around our area...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so down on this, but a big part of me is tired of feelgood solutions that don't solve anything, or make things worse, or do the wrong thing, maybe because my city is more guilty of it than most.

Why do you think this doesn't solve anything?

I think it's great. It doesn't mean they aren't doing anything else. I think that it's important that pedestrians/runners take an active part in helping prevent accidents (since a pedestrian is much more likely to be seriously injured than a driver), and this is a great step. I assume cyclists can take advantage, too.

I'm not sure where the downside is.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so down on this, but a big part of me is tired of feelgood solutions that don't solve anything, or make things worse, or do the wrong thing, maybe because my city is more guilty of it than most.

Why do you think this doesn't solve anything?

I think it's great. It doesn't mean they aren't doing anything else. I think that it's important that pedestrians/runners take an active part in helping prevent accidents (since a pedestrian is much more likely to be seriously injured than a driver), and this is a great step. I assume cyclists can take advantage, too.

I'm not sure where the downside is.

The downside is if they consider this to be the solution and don't address the underlying problem. When I made my first comment it read like they considered this to be the solution, which its not.

Like I said above, our municipal gov't like many specializes in highly visible, bandaid solutions rather than actually fixing problems.

Issuing blinky lights to pedestrians isn't the answer to drunk driving any more than putting up a sign that says "Caution - Snow on Road" is the answer to a snowstorm. The sign is fine if you're also intending to plow the road.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm

I wouldn't be on the roads in the dark without my reflective vest. Sounds like a good initiative, as long as it is part of a bigger plan. I don't wear a red blinky even though I did get one at the relay in Vermont last year.

I do like the idea of signs "No Snow Allowed Here"...wonder if it would work?
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Point made. I wanted to show what my community is doing to improve visibility for runners and cyclist. And the real point (I was hoping to make) is that fellow RMers make sure they are well lit and visible in the winter and in the dark. Perhaps next time I'll just let Dave do the public safety message, it seems to go smoother :roll:

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 am

I just go down roads that aren't to busy or stick to the side walk when I run in the dark. It depends what I wear, if it has reflective stuff on it good, and if it doesn't it doesn't make much of a big deal to me. I know whats around me, if I see a car, I get out its way. Fine with me.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:11 am

One of my co-workers (who is not a runner) asked me the other day, "Why do runners always dress all in black at night? I can't see them when I'm backing out of my driveway."

I had to concede that yes, we don't always dress in the most visible way possible (and I am guilty of that, too). Reflective clothing only works if there are lights shining directly on it.

Now, I just have to get my butt over to MEC to get some blinkie lights for running... :shifty:

Lorne, I think the idea is great. Thanks for posting.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:30 am

I wore it this morning. It was a little big, but it didn't move too much. The blinky bike light on the back did bounce, so it's doing to be removed. The reflective material lit up very bright and I noticed a big differance with the approaching cars, they moved over much earlier. Except for one moron that clearly wasn't paying attention, he moved over at the last moment :? . Always got to run defensively. I didn't use the arm bands as I was plenty reflective

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 am

Kudos to St Lazare for this initiative. I can't imagine this is costing the city more than 10 grand, which is like one extra cop for 10 or 15 extra shifts. Seems like a cost effective move in the right direction, especially if it's part of a bigger program.

Always nice to see a municipal government supporting the idea of getting people out and about on foot, and looking out for the safety of those who are out and about on foot. Can't take that for granted these days... many cities couldn't care less.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 am

jgore wrote:

"La macchina va dove vanno gli occhi." The car goes where the eyes go.

Return to “Gearing Up”