Sturdy Dog Collar?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
pts
Lynn Williams

Sturdy Dog Collar?

Postby pts » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 am

I am in need of a good sturdy dog collar for Hudson. We have found strangely enough that he walks much better on just a collar than on a gentle leader or newtrix leader, but our collar can't take the wear (when he pulls he can almost get it off!!). So, we are looking for just a plain old collar. One that snaps on/off would be nice since we take it off in the house, but I know those are less sturdy.

Oh, for those who are not familiar with my "boy"- he is a 70 lb border collie/German Shep cross, so it really needs to be fairly indestructable. He also loves getting wet, so one that will stand up over time with swimming.

Any reviews?
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Sturdy Dog Collar?

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:06 am

C-Moss has a collar and leash from Canine Equipment.
She's had this collar and leash since she was one (she's now eight 8)

She loves the water too... :D
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

graciousgoat
Bruce Kidd

Postby graciousgoat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:17 am

We use a martingale collar for our beasts and it works well. Also had good results with the senseible harness...
Make my day: sponsor me for my 3day walk for the cure.http://www.the3day.org/goto/sallywalks

THANK YOU!!!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/fundraising/wmNKFGQ/

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:34 am

graciousgoat wrote:We use a martingale collar for our beasts and it works well. Also had good results with the senseible harness...

I too endorse the martingale collar. Actually the one C-Moss has from Canine Equipment is a martingale. For those who wonder what this is...the one C-Moss has is fabric with a "piece" of chain link. It is the sound of the chain that you use to give "correction" ...i.e. it is not a choke or prong collar.

I started using a martingale when it was obvious that a haltie or gentle leader was not the right thing for C-Moss. Using those she became compliant to the point of acting depressed on her walks.

For a dog who does not always have the best manners :shock: she is excellent on leash...I can walk her with a "loose leash" much of the time. I credit the martingale for helping out in this area :D :D
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 am

We just got a big package from Backcountry K-9. Including running leashes and cycling attachments, and backpack. Your number one source for doggy gatorade!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 am

Doonst wrote:We just got a big package from Backcountry K-9. Including running leashes and cycling attachments, and backpack. Your number one source for doggy gatorade!

:D :D
I actually sent some doggie gatorade to my friend Mike for his doggies, Rex and Kona a couple years ago. (as a bit of a joke I must admit...but he said they liked it!) Haven't been able to find any since...so thanks for the link. Mike's wife just started a dog walking/adventure hiking business called Go-Dog-Go (for anyone living in Victoria, B.C. 8) ) so I think I'll send her a little present of these soon :D :D

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
graciousgoat wrote:We use a martingale collar for our beasts and it works well. Also had good results with the senseible harness...

I too endorse the martingale collar. Actually the one C-Moss has from Canine Equipment is a martingale. For those who wonder what this is...the one C-Moss has is fabric with a "piece" of chain link. It is the sound of the chain that you use to give "correction" ...i.e. it is not a choke or prong collar.

I started using a martingale when it was obvious that a haltie or gentle leader was not the right thing for C-Moss. Using those she became compliant to the point of acting depressed on her walks.

For a dog who does not always have the best manners :shock: she is excellent on leash...I can walk her with a "loose leash" much of the time. I credit the martingale for helping out in this area :D :D

I saw that on someone's dog in the Pets thread and wanted to ask what it was. Problem solved. Oliver is not the most well behaved on a leash, at least when I am at the other end of it. :roll: However, he seems to have some reaction to certain types of collars and it wears the fur off his neck. :(

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
Doonst wrote:We just got a big package from Backcountry K-9. Including running leashes and cycling attachments, and backpack. Your number one source for doggy gatorade!

:D :D
I actually sent some doggie gatorade to my friend Mike for his doggies, Rex and Kona a couple years ago. (as a bit of a joke I must admit...but he said they liked it!) Haven't been able to find any since...so thanks for the link. Mike's wife just started a dog walking/adventure hiking business called Go-Dog-Go (for anyone living in Victoria, B.C. 8) ) so I think I'll send her a little present of these soon :D :D

You know, I have often wondered about doggie Gatorade. Oliver sometimes runs 5 days in a week! I am glad that I am not crazy after-all! :wink:

runner67
Percy Williams

Postby runner67 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 am

I got an adjustable collar which is a nice easy snap on (like my running belt) and a good solid leash, both made of nylon at believe it or not Superstore! Cost me less than $20 for both! Just for reference my dog is about 65lbs, he is a Golden Retriever and only about 1 1/2 years old and plenty of pup left in him so he still likes to think he is taking me for a run!!!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:12 am

I have three of the cozy hemp dog collars from http://www.planetdog.com. They are quite durable and are real comfortable on the dog's neck. Stella has already broken her harness (which I didn't buy from Planet Dog), so I'll be ordering a new harness from them for her. I should have ordered the harness from them in the first place.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I'll add to the martingale group. I have 3 shetland sheepdogs. Biggest issue is their necks, full of fur, can be bigger then their head. The result is they can pop off a standard collar. One day my oldest did not want to get in the car (car phobia when younger). He stopped, backed up suddenly, and before I knew it was collar free. He took one look at me, one look at the car, realized he was free and was gone. Forget the training, treats, etc. He almost got hit by a car and I only caught him when he cut through someone's back yard that had deep enough snow to slow him down! No more flat collars for me ... ever! And I was a firm flat collar believer and trainer before that.

The martingale is not a choke collar which I like, but will not pop off either. It is a great training collar. My six month old walks just fine with hers and I walk all 3 together on them. It is wonderful for self correcting for dogs that pull too (walk dog on umbilical style lead, when it goes ahead of you, you turn without any notice and run - bolt - vamoose - the opposite direction ... dogs learn fast to watch you and stay beside or just behind you!)

Places to get them include:

www.bradpattison.com (nice sturdy collars and the six legs to fitness ones have a matching hands free lead that is great for running but online orders only)

www.rcpets.com (links to stores that sell their products)

Many places make these you just have to be sure that the chain part is good enough quality not to break and that the collar overall is not too heavy or too light for your dog.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 pm

I just use the nylon snap-on ones from any pet store. Sammy gets a new collar every year anyway (the old ones get stinky after lots of swimming and hiking and playing in mud!) so it's not a big deal.

However, we have a "wearing" collar and a "walking" collar. The "wearing" collar (the plain nylon one) stays on him all the time (except at bedtime) and has his tags on it. Then the "walking" collar is sort of like the martingale but it's the barkbusters version. It just stays attached to the leash at all times, and slips on and off his head. It does give me the extra control when I need it. We've had it three years and it hasn't broken or anything, though one time the clasp came undone (it's a buckle type, so get something more secure).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:33 pm

http://www.ruffwear.com After looking for gear for Ursa (now 90+ lbs at 10 months) this stuff has held up wonderfully.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Gear Boy wrote:http://www.ruffwear.com After looking for gear for Ursa (now 90+ lbs at 10 months) this stuff has held up wonderfully.

:shock: OMG, Ursa is getting big!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Gear Boy wrote:http://www.ruffwear.com After looking for gear for Ursa (now 90+ lbs at 10 months) this stuff has held up wonderfully.

I mentioned this site to Doonst SO and she pointed out that most of the stuff that we got from Backcountry K9 is Ruff Wear brand. But usually cheaper, and with alternatives.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

doonst SO
Percy Williams

Postby doonst SO » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 pm

For running, I use a harness and roamer leash, a leash that has an elastic core that extends to 4.5 extra feet and stretches out to about 11 feet, see http://www.backcountryK9.com. It clips around my waist and Tuzo pulls me making me run faster. You need to be careful when out on the street, if your dog doesn't run straight ahead. It has a short part that doesn't extend when you are crossing the street etc.

And for proper walking, I use a slip lead leash, made out of climbers rope, http://www.pathcom.com/~crasher/ , crashtest toys, they make good tug toys and other leashes/collar combinations. A slip lead leash is similar to a 'choke chain + leash'. I am a fan of the choke collar for proper healing walking. If Hudson wants to wander around and sniff I don't recommend the choke collar.

If Hudson is always pulling then stop walking. Wait. Make him come back to 'heal' position before you start again. Sometimes it takes along time to get to the park because Tuzo is so excited. Pull ahead, back to heal. Pull ahead, back to heal. He walks so much better on the way back home.
Last edited by doonst SO on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:52 pm

doonst SO wrote:If Hudson is always pulling then stop walking. Wait. Make him come back to 'heal' position before you start again. Sometimes it takes along time to get to the park because Tuzo is so excited. Pull ahead, back to heal. Pull ahead, back to heal. He walks so much better on the way back home.

I think this is excellent advice. It's how I got my little "Beastie...C-Moss" :wink: to behave on leash :D

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
doonst SO wrote:If Hudson is always pulling then stop walking. Wait. Make him come back to 'heal' position before you start again. Sometimes it takes along time to get to the park because Tuzo is so excited. Pull ahead, back to heal. Pull ahead, back to heal. He walks so much better on the way back home.

I think this is excellent advice. It's how I got my little "Beastie...C-Moss" :wink: to behave on leash :D

I do something a little different... if Sammy keeps pulling (after gentle reminders not to pull) then I just do a 180 and walk the opposite direction, and if necessary go back and forth until he falls naturally into heel position, then continue on.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 pm

I do similar to ultraslacker - turn 180 without any notice - but when i turn I will sprint in the opposite direction and then suddenly stop. I also do 'urban agility' which is winding between obstacles. So I'll be walking along and suddenly take a nothing to circle around a fire hydrant or weave between telephone poles. Lots of fun and keeps my pups attention on me!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 pm

ceileigh wrote:I do similar to ultraslacker - turn 180 without any notice - but when i turn I will sprint in the opposite direction and then suddenly stop. I also do 'urban agility' which is winding between obstacles. So I'll be walking along and suddenly take a nothing to circle around a fire hydrant or weave between telephone poles. Lots of fun and keeps my pups attention on me!

we did a lot of random weaving and circling in the early days, when he was learning how to walk nicely. He HATED it because he has control issues, lol. (When I first got him, he FOUGHT me on every single walk. It was really frustrating!) Now he walks well *most* of the time, though he still pulls if we are in unfamiliar territory or if he's worked up about something.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:38 am

ultraslacker wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

I do something a little different... if Sammy keeps pulling (after gentle reminders not to pull) then I just do a 180 and walk the opposite direction, and if necessary go back and forth until he falls naturally into heel position, then continue on.

I also do this sometimes...if I remember correctly a dog trainer gave me this tip.

Return to “Gearing Up”