Nike Lunar Racer 2 and Lunar Elite

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Nike Lunar Racer 2 and Lunar Elite

Postby QuickChick » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 pm

I tried on the new Lunar Racer and the Lunar Elite today while out shopping. I am DROOLING over the racers- they have PINK soles and they look totally bitchin. They are still super light, but they feel like they have a lot more "to" them if that makes sense, especially on the outside of my foot. They are still very much a neutral shoe, I was told, but they don't feel as minimal. Again, though, that doesn't make them heavier. I think I will order a pair from the US, and I'm going to order them in a 9 (my others are an 8.5). That way, I'd be more inclined to wear them in a half marathon. Here are the racers... Image
and the men's racers...

I also tried on the Lunar Elites. They feel pretty similar to my Lunar Trainers, very light. Once I can no longer get my trainers, I'll be OK switching to these, I think. Here are the women's Elites...
Image Pretty, eh? They also come in blue.
Here are the Men's Lunar Elites...
Image Here's what Running Warehouse had to say about them.
The LunarElite+ takes the Dynamic Support asymmetrical design method from the LunarGlide+ but sheds the TPU piece and also has a reduced midsole height. Flywire Technology in the midfoot enhances fit while reducing weight. The result is a lightweight trainer designed to work for mild over-pronation, but is just as good for neutral and supinated gates. The LunarElite+ is based on the heritage of the Zoom Elite even down to the original Nike Waffle outsole design, but improves on the most recent editions of the Elite which lost it’s way in recent editions by putting on too much weight to be classified a lightweight trainer. The LunarElite+ rectifies this problem by shedding weight (now 9.7 oz) and reestablishes itself as true lightweight performance trainer/racer.

There is another new Nike Lunar- the Swift- it looks like a heavier more durable version of the Elite.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Nike Lunar Racer 2 and Lunar Elite

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:12 am

Those look very nice. I really liked my Nike Frees before I got injured last year, but haven't been able to wear them or anything like them since. I would like to try one of these sometime soon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:40 am

I can't get my lunar trainers anymore (they only seem to have size 4-7 and 13+ so basically midgets and clowns). I'll have to try the elite.

Jen, they're nothing like the Frees. I don't know how to explain it, but they're not a barefoot simulator. I ran NYC marathon in the trainer and a number of other races and they're different shoes.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 am

uosnƃɹǝɟ pɹnʇ wrote:Jen, they're nothing like the Frees. I don't know how to explain it, but they're not a barefoot simulator. I ran NYC marathon in the trainer and a number of other races and they're different shoes.

I know-- I have tried them in the store and liked them, but at the time was set on the Frees. The Frees don't work for me at all any more for some reason. I don't think the Frees are anything like a "barefoot simulator" either actually.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:06 am

I miss Gumby!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 pm

What size you peeps are? I still have a NIB Lunar Trainer in Men's 8 (i.e. 41) which I am unlikely to ever wear :? :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I was thinking of ordering the Lunar Glides, but i'm pretty fragile i've noticed, so i'm going for the adidas tempos and saucony progrid guide's.

runshorts
Johnny Miles

Postby runshorts » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:59 pm

A lot of people feel (me included) that the Elites are too high in the ankle. I didn't notice it when I tried them on, but after about 1K of running I could really feel it. I definitely recommend spending time in them before shipping a pair in from the US. I was hoping they could replace my lunar trainers, but maybe the swift will work. The early reviews have been more positive.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:35 pm

I just ordered the Lunar Racers!! Yaaaay!!! My mom is going to bring them back from the US next weekend- not sure when I'll meet up with her, but hopefully SOON! I'm so excited to wear them this season.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

I've been running in the glides for a few weeks now and really like them. The ride is nice, but found they actually needed to be "broken" in, unlike my much cushier vomeros. The Nike store kids said its due to the bottom being a memory foam which shaped to your foot. Also, I have a bit of a tough time getting the midfoot tight without the top digging in, maybe need to lace them differently. Unfortunately, the elites rubbed my pinkie toe too much to risk buying.

Love the colors...

Steve

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:41 pm

QuickChick wrote:I just ordered the Lunar Racers!! Yaaaay!!! My mom is going to bring them back from the US next weekend- not sure when I'll meet up with her, but hopefully SOON! I'm so excited to wear them this season.

hope you have your duct tape ready :lol:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 pm

richie-rich wrote:
QuickChick wrote:I just ordered the Lunar Racers!! Yaaaay!!! My mom is going to bring them back from the US next weekend- not sure when I'll meet up with her, but hopefully SOON! I'm so excited to wear them this season.

hope you have your duct tape ready :lol:

:lol: :lol: Damn right! They make me feel so fast it's worth it. Actually it felt like there might be a bit more cushiness at the heel, so maybe they'll be OK sans duct tape, fingers crossed.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm

It's not my imagination- the Elite DOES have more to it than the lunar trainer. Irun's shoe preview, while it didn't really "review" it, described it as a moderate stability shoe. WTF Nike... is neutral a dirty word? Are there really not that many neutral runners?? Isn't the GLIDE the one that's supposed to give more stability? WHY did they mess with the best shoe I've worn in awhile...
Signed, disgruntled. :lol:

Hopefully the racers don't feel that different from my old ones (except the blister situation could be improved).

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:07 pm

QuickChick wrote:It's not my imagination- the Elite DOES have more to it than the lunar trainer. Irun's shoe preview, while it didn't really "review" it, described it as a moderate stability shoe. WTF Nike... is neutral a dirty word? Are there really not that many neutral runners?? Isn't the GLIDE the one that's supposed to give more stability? WHY did they mess with the best shoe I've worn in awhile...
Signed, disgruntled. :lol:

Hopefully the racers don't feel that different from my old ones (except the blister situation could be improved).

I believe that the entire lunar line, with the flywire midfoot technology is kinda a hybrid cushion neutral shoe that will also provide stability to overpronators ... :think: :think: :think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Gearing Up”