GPS Watches: Timex T5B501 vs. Garmin 205?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Syscrush
Tom Longboat

GPS Watches: Timex T5B501 vs. Garmin 205?

Postby Syscrush » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 am

Hey again gang. I fell off the running wagon (how's THAT for a mixed metaphor) this winter, but I'm getting back into it now with the intention of setting PB's in the Sporting Life 10k in the spring, and the Waterfront half marathon in the fall. Last year was all about just finishing in one piece, this year I want to set some more specific targets and train towards them.

As such, I've decided that I'd like a watch that will give me current & average pace information, and I've come across the Timex T5B501 and Garmin Forerunner 205 as both being in about the same price range.

Anyone with experience with both or either who'd like to share? Any info or advice would be much appreciated!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Re: GPS Watches: Timex T5B501 vs. Garmin 205?

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55 am

I can't say enough about my Garmin 205.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:59 am

If it is GPS Technology you want .. I'd personally stick with the Garmin ....

This Timex uses the Navman sensor for their GPS function, which is a separate piece that you have to wear ... and, if it is like the old Timex Bodylink system, you wear in on your arms ...

Depends on where you look, the Garmin 305 is not that much more expensive than the 205, plus you get a HR function and ability to upgrade it to the Bike Sports Kit and a Foot Pod, in the event that you are not able to use GPS, like running indoors on a treadmill ... :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

I have the Garmin 305 (exactly the same as the 205 but with the HRM) and I LOVE it. I've been using it for about a year, and I love everything about it (but especially the HRM ;) , which I use without the GPS function when I run on the treadmill). I can't compare to the Timex system, though.

Garmin is really the leader in this field, but reliablity is somewhat of an issue-- I should say that I've had to replace the unit twice (under warranty, at MEC). I'd strongly suggest buying it at either MEC or Costco (both with excellent return/exchange policies). MEC resets the 1-year warranty if you have to replace it, so even though I got mine in November 2008, it's still under warranty (since I had to replace it in June last year). I know some people have no trouble for years; others have had issues within the first two years.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm

+1 for the Garmin 305.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55 pm

La wrote:+1 for the Garmin 305.

+2. I had a 205 for 2 years, then gave that to my DH and got a 305 at costco just a few weeks ago. Never had a problem with the 205 - still works like a charm. Costco is much cheaper than anywhere else, and if you have/know someone with a membership, you can order it online if it's inconvenient to get to a store.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Syscrush
Tom Longboat

Postby Syscrush » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks all. I'm not seeing a lot of love for the Timex - to me the idea of a wrist-only vs. the separate GPS receiver has pros and cons both ways. With the Timex the thing on your wrist is lighter and better-looking, with the Garmin you have less stuff to screw around with.

I don't really feel the need for a HRM when running - I can feel what's going on there well enough to know when I've got something in reserve vs. when I should back off a bit. Still, for just a $25 difference (at MEC), it might be nice to have the option of using it.

I'll give this all some thought and do a bit more research.

Thanks again.
If I can't have a body built for running, let me have one built by running.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:39 pm

I've tried both, though right now I have neither. Loved the Garmin, hated the Timex because it was 3 pieces. That could just be me, though, because I can't stand having a strap around my upper arm.

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 pm

I have no need for a HR monitor either, but for 179 bucks (think it's less now) at Costco, it's worth the price. I just use the HR monitor so that after a run I can say HUH, that's interesting... just track it for fun. But if later you want to use the HR monitor for a purpose, you already have it.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Lazagna wrote:I have no need for a HR monitor either, but for 179 bucks (think it's less now) at Costco, it's worth the price. I just use the HR monitor so that after a run I can say HUH, that's interesting... just track it for fun. But if later you want to use the HR monitor for a purpose, you already have it.

Mine was 169 (I think it's 179 online, but includes the shipping). If you have the 305, you can use it as a 205 ie no HRM, just as a GPS. With the 205, you can't just buy the HRM strap and add it in. I'm using the HRM like this right now - mostly for interest, and not changing anything based on it. Since I used to do some research on HR variability, it's fun for a geek like me :D .

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Syscrush wrote:Thanks all. I'm not seeing a lot of love for the Timex - to me the idea of a wrist-only vs. the separate GPS receiver has pros and cons both ways. With the Timex the thing on your wrist is lighter and better-looking, with the Garmin you have less stuff to screw around with.

The other issue is that the Garmin 205/305 can't be worn as a regular watch (besides being too big, it's a battery hog; unlike the 405 it's not made to be switched into "watch only" mode. I'm not sure about the Timex, but it seems you could wear it as a regular watch, since the GPS is in a separate unit. I also don't think it's that there is no love for it-- just no one here has used it.

I do prefer the all-in-one approach, for sure. I used to have a Polar footpod for speed/distance, and much prefer having everything in the same watch. I like having the HR functionality, and used it for a while just "out of interest" but I will admit that the numbers are much more useful now that I've been tested for my HR zones. If you don't have that, running by feel is really just as good. But it could be a good option to be able to add on later if you want (i.e., get the 305 now so you have it).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Syscrush
Tom Longboat

Postby Syscrush » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

So, I went to MEC and picked up a Garmin 205. I was really hemming and hawing about the 205 vs. 305 (the price diff is down to $20 now) but they made it easy by having the 205 in stock and the 305 not due for a couple of weeks.

I'll start experimenting with it next week and post some impressions here soon.

Thanks to all for the advice & pointers.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Syscrush wrote:So, I went to MEC and picked up a Garmin 205. I was really hemming and hawing about the 205 vs. 305 (the price diff is down to $20 now) but they made it easy by having the 205 in stock and the 305 not due for a couple of weeks.

Wow- for $20 I really would suggest getting the HRM (but I guess if you never ever ever ever ;) want to train that way, it wouldn't make a difference-- except maybe if you want to sell it).

Either way, I hope you enjoy it. :)

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:51 am

Jwolf wrote:
Syscrush wrote:So, I went to MEC and picked up a Garmin 205. I was really hemming and hawing about the 205 vs. 305 (the price diff is down to $20 now) but they made it easy by having the 205 in stock and the 305 not due for a couple of weeks.

Wow- for $20 I really would suggest getting the HRM (but I guess if you never ever ever ever ;) want to train that way, it wouldn't make a difference-- except maybe if you want to sell it).

I believe the highlighted words are the deal-breakers, not the $20.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 am

jgore wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I believe the highlighted words are the deal-breakers, not the $20.

I realize that, but for a couple weeks, if you never had one to begin with, it would still be worth it (I think).

Syscrush
Tom Longboat

Postby Syscrush » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 pm

I didn't really want/need the HRM, the $20 diff had me thinking maybe I should just get the 305, but the ability to walk out with the 205 tipped the balance back.

Syscrush
Tom Longboat

Postby Syscrush » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

So, having used it a couple of times I give the 205 a tentative but qualified thumbs-up.

2) Many screens that can be set up as you choose.
3) Support for separate biking & running profiles.
4) Apparently accurate pace/speed & distance info in realtime.
5) Pace & distance alerts.

Dislikes:
1) Couldn't figure out how to use the backlight - gotta check the manual, I guess.
2) That is a big clunky thing to have on the wrist while running.
3) The "finding satellites" progress bar on power-up is a tease. 3 times it went to 100% and then back to ~70%. Oh well, maybe I should do some stretches in the parking lot before I take off.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Syscrush wrote:S
Dislikes:
1) Couldn't figure out how to use the backlight - gotta check the manual, I guess.

Hold down the "on/off" button for half length.

Also, under "general setting, display", you can modify how it works. "This page allows you to set the timer on the backlight between 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, or always on. Also allows you to adjust the contrast on the screen to adapt to the lighting in your area or the time of day."
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:20 pm

3) The "finding satellites" progress bar on power-up is a tease. 3 times it went to 100% and then back to ~70%. Oh well, maybe I should do some stretches in the parking lot before I take off.

I put my watch on the dashboard of my car when drive to the gym. It has to work harder to secure a signal because we're moving, but who cares, it finally has one when I get there and I don't have to stand around waiting. A fresh start waiting is just like waiting for the kettle to boil--takes forever if you are watching it. At home it goes on the window sill will get dressed. Ready when I am.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm

I usually walk a few blocks before starting my run, so the garmin picks up the signal by the time I get to my start point. :)

I haven't tried the Timex and know nothing about it. Like you, I have the 205 and I love it... rather dependent on it, in fact!

Before this, though, I went through two 201s which both crapped out just after the warranty expired. I managed to get the second one to limp along for another year (but it was sketchy) and then it finally died for good. I wasn't happy to have lost TWO garmins in three years... but what can you do? (what I did was go and buy a 205... hopefully it lasts longer!)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:55 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I usually walk a few blocks before starting my run, so the garmin picks up the signal by the time I get to my start point. :)
I find it actually takes longer to do this-- I leave it in one place before I start.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I usually walk a few blocks before starting my run, so the garmin picks up the signal by the time I get to my start point. :)
I find it actually takes longer to do this-- I leave it in one place before I start.

I'm walking the distance anyway... and it always finds it while I do, so I don't see the point of adding time standing around.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:24 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I'm walking the distance anyway... and it always finds it while I do, so I don't see the point of adding time standing around.

I guess it depends on where I am-- sometimes I can walk for a long time (more than my walking warmup) before it locks on to satellites. Then I have to start running and just not look at the distance for the first lap. It only takes a few minutes, usually while I'm putting my shoes on and getting ready, to lock on when it's still.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Its faster finding a signal if it's fully charged and if you're in the same place you turned it off (apparently, they quickly "check" for satallite signal from where you last were before doing a full search for a signal). The first time I used mine it took ages, but now I walk out my front door and it gets a signal in ~30 seconds.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Hammie wrote:Its faster finding a signal if it's fully charged and if you're in the same place you turned it off (apparently, they quickly "check" for satallite signal from where you last were before doing a full search for a signal). The first time I used mine it took ages, but now I walk out my front door and it gets a signal in ~30 seconds.

Maybe that's it. I hardly ever start a run from the same place two days in a row, so it's always searching. Sometimes I'm home, sometimes at the gym, often alternating through the week, and sometimes downtown. When I do run back-to-back days from home, it probably is quicker.

Return to “Gearing Up”