Mizuno Ascends trail shoes

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Mizuno Ascends trail shoes

Postby Doonst » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I recently retired my beloved Mizuno Ascend 3 trail shoes. Nothing fancy, drab even, but they got the job done every time. I believe I ran all but 2 of my 9 trail races this year in them, including very mucky ones at Limberlost and Haliburton. Total distance they did was over 750 Km, a personal highest for me for any shoes. Records show I paid $60 plus shipping from Holabird. They are pictured here with Ascends 1 and 2 on the left, and 2 pairs of current Ascend 4's on the right. I still use the 2's for yard work, but the 3's are ready for the dumpster.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Re: Mizuno Ascends trail shoes

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Love pics of the fleet!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:50 pm

take the dead ones to the nearest nike store... they'll be recycled into such fun things as asphalt and playground rubber. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 pm

I went through 4 or 5 pairs of Mizuno Ascends in the last 2 years. For a tame trail shoe I have to say they served me well, though I had a few blisters off and on. I ran most of my 100 milers in them and a bunch of other trail races and long runs. I found them light and enjoyed them on technical terrain, but I wish the Ascend 3s had a bit better traction. I loved the fact that they drain well.

After raiding the Running Room outlet store and exhausting their stock of Ascend 3s size 9, I bought a pair of Ascend 4s, which have better traction, but they don't agree with the top of my right foot and have caused me some nasty little blisters on the base of my second last toe. I'm wondering how the new Ascend 5s are? Also, I wonder how the other Mizuno trail shoes are. The name escapes me just now... something like abrakadabra or something.

I'm in the market for trail shoes again. :? :( The LaSportivas I bought are beefy, but stiffer than I'm used to and I can't see myself running longer ultras in them, so they will be training shoes. The montrail Mountain Masochists I tried on felt good, I might give them a second try. decisions, decisions...
Ultrarunner again

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:51 am

UltraQueenga wrote: The LaSportivas I bought are beefy, but stiffer than I'm used to

Which mode?. The Wildcats are stiffer than the Ascends but more supportive. My personal fav is the Raptors. Ran the Hali 50 in them and not one issue. They are stiffer in the back but more flexible in the front. Great Long Shoe. Spaff will of course go on and on about the Crosslite ;) . I do find that both the Wildcats and Raptors need a little break in - some runs and they HAVE to get wet. It teaches them what they were made for...
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Strider wrote:
UltraQueenga wrote: The LaSportivas I bought are beefy, but stiffer than I'm used to

Which mode?. The Wildcats are stiffer than the Ascends but more supportive. My personal fav is the Raptors. Ran the Hali 50 in them and not one issue. They are stiffer in the back but more flexible in the front. Great Long Shoe. Spaff will of course go on and on about the Crosslite ;) . I do find that both the Wildcats and Raptors need a little break in - some runs and they HAVE to get wet. It teaches them what they were made for...

I got the Imogene. I like the toe protection on them and they have awesome traction, but I find them a bit clunky. I have tried the other two models and I found they were not agreeing with my feet, didn't like the fit.

Anyway, I will use my Imogene for some training runs, but they are not my 100 miler shoes. :( The hunt continues...
Ultrarunner again

k8
Johnny Miles

Postby k8 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 am

this is so helpful right now as I think I will finally need to get some trail shoes. Are any of these Mizuno ones ok for pronators? I currently have Mizunos and love them, although I can't remember what model they are right at this moment..

AD Corredor
Percy Williams

Postby AD Corredor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Sweet pic's of your old Mizunos.

The Mizuno Ascend 5's are the latest version and are ideal for neutral to moderate overpronators.
Pain now...beer later.

Return to “Gearing Up”