Sweaty bands

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
abirdd
Bill Crothers

Re: Sweaty bands

Postby abirdd » Sat May 28, 2011 8:49 am

ceileigh wrote:Even though they do not fit me and the sales rep was pretty rude with me I still say they are really nice and the velvet is a nice material. They are a good product! Many orange patterns to choose from too! (and yes I have the extra one from the RM order ... it got stuck in my purse pocket)

HAHAHA - that's what happens when you smuggle contra"bands" across the border in your purse :lol:

If you're at the M&G tomorrow, I'll pick up the band - otherwise, we'll connect next time you're in town :D

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat May 28, 2011 8:54 am

Unless something strange happens I plan to be at the M&G at least for a bit!

See you then

I have the band with my race stuff so I won't forget it! If I don't make it I can leave it with my brother who lives in Ottawa!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat May 28, 2011 8:54 am

And they should be proud I would consider smuggling SB into Canada ... that shows we like them

actually when I emailed with them they were great - even sent me 2 freebies to try - but once I replied back that it was a no go they were not so receptive!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon May 30, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks Ceileigh, Jesse and Andrea! Got my sweaty band at the MnG yesterday and I love it!!! :D Now I wish I had known before this week-end and I could have bought some at the expo :roll: hahaha
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon May 30, 2011 3:54 pm

I forgot to post back after my run on Saturday and say that they worked! After all the hair bands I have tried, finally something keeps the heavy black bangs back during a run and doesn't slip around. They look easy to make/recreate/individualize for any people that sew.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 pm

By the way running skirts also let me know they did not attend the expo because one of the owners recently had a baby - they didn't have a passport for the baby so decided not to come.

Country_Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Country_Girl » Mon May 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I got one at the expo and am really wishing I'd bought more! I really like it!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon May 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Country_Girl wrote:I got one at the expo and am really wishing I'd bought more! I really like it!

Aack I shall have to make another run to the US for contarband sweaty bands LOL

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 30, 2011 7:30 pm

I haven't tried mine yet. I'm waiting for a TM run to give it a go. (I'm a hat person when outside.)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:26 pm

The jury is still out for me. It doesn't sit flat on my head - the front sits flat but the back sticks up a bit, if that makes any sense. It feels like it could slip when I am wearing it, and that's just sitting around - I haven't tried it on a run yet. Another issue is that there were so many colours to choose from, and so many people crowding around, that I ended up choosing a colour I really liked the look of without considering whether it would go with anything I own! :lol:

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:49 pm

gnu wrote:The jury is still out for me. It doesn't sit flat on my head - the front sits flat but the back sticks up a bit, if that makes any sense. It feels like it could slip when I am wearing it, and that's just sitting around - I haven't tried it on a run yet. Another issue is that there were so many colours to choose from, and so many people crowding around, that I ended up choosing a colour I really liked the look of without considering whether it would go with anything I own! :lol:

Did you get a thick one? The thick ones did the same on my head. The middle ones and the thin ones didn't. I got the middle one because the thin one just made me look stupid because my bangs were sticking up all over the place with it.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Middle, I think? It's an inch wide.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:14 pm

I picked up a middle sized one at the expo. It stays put. It stayed put during the 10K even after I dumped a cup of water on my head at the finish line. I have worn it every run since i got back and no slippage either.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:34 pm

gnu wrote: It doesn't sit flat on my head - the front sits flat but the back sticks up a bit, if that makes any sense.

That's how it sits on my head too! I have the thin one. I still like it though! It doesn't move when I run, although it feels like it might. Over all, I give it an -A :D

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:04 pm

I loved the different prints they had. I tried on the thick one and wasn't keen on it. I bended up buying a Run Girl Run reversible headband. I like it but it is a bit too wide as well. Guess I should have tried the medium width one. I've been meaning to sew one but I haven't touch my machine in months.

Let me know if you put in another order..... I'm growing my hair out again so I will need something to make the in between time somewhat decent.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:16 pm

My friends have a PO Box in Massena NY> They go over pretty much every 2 weeks. So if you want to order and don't mind waiting a bit I can get the PO Box, you can ship to them, and they can bring to me and I can get to you. anything under $20 is no duty anyway so it's not a big deal ...

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:01 pm

jes wrote:
gnu wrote: It doesn't sit flat on my head - the front sits flat but the back sticks up a bit, if that makes any sense.

That's how it sits on my head too! I have the thin one. I still like it though! It doesn't move when I run, although it feels like it might. Over all, I give it an -A :D

It also sits that way on my head. I wore it at tae-box and it didn't bulge. Really awesome! But not as sweat proof as a baseball cap so I'll keep that for running.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Country_Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Country_Girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 pm

If you peer at their website, they have a monthly set of 6 bands for 84.15. The June set is pretty cute. Plus if you google "sweaty bands coupons" you can get a 10% off coupon. Not bad.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Just a "heads-up" - I happened to see these for sale on the RR website today. Don't know what their selection would be like, but just thought folks might want to know.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 pm

gnu wrote:Just a "heads-up" - I happened to see these for sale on the RR website today. Don't know what their selection would be like, but just thought folks might want to know.

:lol:

I laughed out loud on Sunday when our store manager held them up to show them off before the run!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Irongirl wrote:
gnu wrote:Just a "heads-up" - I happened to see these for sale on the RR website today. Don't know what their selection would be like, but just thought folks might want to know.

:lol:

I laughed out loud on Sunday when our store manager held them up to show them off before the run!

Yeah, yeah.

But they're way more expensive at RR...19.99!!!

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Oh, I forgot about a message a friend sent - mommy brain :roll:

Turns out there are plenty of ladies on Etsy who make Sweaty Band knock offs (really... some trim, some velvet and some elastic... not much to knock off!). Pricing is around $8-$10US a band, and most offer USPS First Class shipping to Canada (cheapest method). Best part, Jane are you reading this, almost all the ones I looked at below offered "custom" sizing, and explained how to measure to get the right fit :D

Alright, here we go...
http://www.etsy.com/people/DeshlerDesigns?ref=ls_profile
http://www.etsy.com/people/PrettyOnThePitch?ref=ls_profile
http://www.etsy.com/people/WEbitboutique?ref=ls_profile
http://www.etsy.com/people/HeadsUpBandz?ref=ls_profile
http://www.etsy.com/people/BICbands?ref=ls_profile

Something tells me there are likely plenty more on Etsy and HyenaCart :dance:

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Nice ... I really wish they wouldn't all put the elastic at the back though. I'd love a wider / softer back material as I find the elastic still cuts or the edge of the band cuts even when I custom length mine. There is a lady in town who makes those cute ones for babies out of slip type material. She offered to make me an adult version size one I might take her up on it and see if it would stay put. For me it is a bit of a cheat as the curls help to keep it from slipping!

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Bumping this because I bought my first one and I LOVE IT!!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 pm

The addiction begins :wink:

In case it helps anyone, I bought a slew of bands from "HarePeace" on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/harepeace1?ref=seller_info

The owner (Brooke) was nice enough to size for my head, so I've been able to wear these bands without getting a headache (major :dance: for me). Just wanted to throw it out there, since I know a couple people had sizing issues with Sweaty Bands.

Return to “Gearing Up”