Canadian Running Shoe Prices -- what gives?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Canadian Running Shoe Prices -- what gives?

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 am

HCcD wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:the bricks-and-mortar vs online applies to some items, but not really to shoes. I can walk into a specialty running store in bellingham and still save about 30% on my shoes as opposed to buying here. They're not quite as cheap as holabird, but pretty close.

True dat ... though, how much would it cost you to travel to Bellingham and back ? :wink:

Since I don't go there for shoes, nothing. I go there when I'm already in the area for something else (usually races, but it could also be a general shopping trip). Last time I was passing through there I picked up my Inspires for $100.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 10, 2011 11:10 am

ultraslacker wrote:
HCcD wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:the bricks-and-mortar vs online applies to some items, but not really to shoes. I can walk into a specialty running store in bellingham and still save about 30% on my shoes as opposed to buying here. They're not quite as cheap as holabird, but pretty close.

True dat ... though, how much would it cost you to travel to Bellingham and back ? :wink:

Since I don't go there for shoes, nothing. I go there when I'm already in the area for something else (usually races, but it could also be a general shopping trip). Last time I was passing through there I picked up my Inspires for $100.

You can get the Inspire 6 off the RR Clearance Online for $49.99, if they have your size ...

They are now reduced down to $103.00 at the store that I work at now vs $149.00 at the other retailers ... So, yeah, the Retailers do have the option in lowering their margins, should they feel the desire ... So, I guess it is the Consumer's decision and choice to shop where they get the most bang for their Loonies, eh !!! :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Fast Trax Flunky
Johnny Miles

Postby Fast Trax Flunky » Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am

HCcD wrote:They are now reduced down to $103.00 at the store that I work at now vs $149.00 at the other retailers ... So, yeah, the Retailers do have the option in lowering their margins, should they feel the desire ... So, I guess it is the Consumer's decision and choice to shop where they get the most bang for their Loonies, eh !!! :wink:

Unfortunately, our desire to lower the margins gets overwhelmed our desire to, you know, continue existing as a business. And eat.
"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was, now, what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary."

www.fasttraxskishop.com

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 am

Fast Trax Flunky wrote:
HCcD wrote:They are now reduced down to $103.00 at the store that I work at now vs $149.00 at the other retailers ... So, yeah, the Retailers do have the option in lowering their margins, should they feel the desire ... So, I guess it is the Consumer's decision and choice to shop where they get the most bang for their Loonies, eh !!! :wink:

Unfortunately, our desire to lower the margins gets overwhelmed our desire to, you know, continue existing as a business. And eat.

And, as a result, may leave a lot of p-t staff out on the street ... :? :( which may result in reducing the amount of little shops and keeping the Bigger Player's around, which means less competition and, in the end, lead to even more higher prices for the consumer .... :?

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Mon May 16, 2011 10:49 am

(OP here). Thanks all.

I did look around Ottawa -- Sports 4, Bushtuckah, etc. -- and no men's Kinvaras at less than $129. It's a bit frustrating, as I would prefer to buy here.

Interesting though, I was looking at trail-running shoes, and La Sportiva Wildcats seem to be priced very similarly in Cda and the US. This suggests to me that there might be something to the notion that the price-differentials are driven by manufacturers or distributors (or I wonder if the tariff structure is different somehow for European companies importing to the US and Canada?).

Anyway, I did buy the Kinvaras through Amazon. Ordered Friday, here by Monday. $103. Saved about $43.

E.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 am

Plods wrote:(OP here). Thanks all.

I did look around Ottawa -- Sports 4, Bushtuckah, etc. -- and no men's Kinvaras at less than $129. It's a bit frustrating, as I would prefer to buy here.

Interesting though, I was looking at trail-running shoes, and La Sportiva Wildcats seem to be priced very similarly in Cda and the US. This suggests to me that there might be something to the notion that the price-differentials are driven by manufacturers or distributors (or I wonder if the tariff structure is different somehow for European companies importing to the US and Canada?).

Anyway, I did buy the Kinvaras through Amazon. Ordered Friday, here by Monday. $103. Saved about $43.

E.

I find that weird, 'cause the regular price for the Kinvara's at the Bushtukah is $119.00 and, if you use the current Val-Pack coupon, there is an additional $10.00 discount for regularly priced shoes ... or a 10% Club Discount, if you are a member on a registered club ...

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Mon May 16, 2011 12:58 pm

I saw them at $129. Weird or not.

But I am not really trying to stir up a dispute about how much the shoes cost at Bushtuckah -- more just hoping to get some understanding of why the US and Canadian shoe markets are so different.

E

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Plods wrote:I saw them at $129. Weird or not.

But I am not really trying to stir up a dispute about how much the shoes cost at Bushtuckah -- more just hoping to get some understanding of why the US and Canadian shoe markets are so different.

E

Next time you need shoes, head down to the Kanata location ... :shifty: :wink:

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat May 21, 2011 8:39 pm

HCcD wrote:

E.

I find that weird, 'cause the regular price for the Kinvara's at the Bushtukah is $119.00 and, if you use the current Val-Pack coupon, there is an additional $10.00 discount for regularly priced shoes ... or a 10% Club Discount, if you are a member on a registered club ...

Does it have to be an Ottawa based registered club? Could RM get to be a registered club with Bushtukah?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 22, 2011 5:28 am

ceileigh wrote:
HCcD wrote:

E.

Does it have to be an Ottawa based registered club? Could RM get to be a registered club with Bushtukah?

If enough people mention RM, we could likely get a Club Status .. :shifty: :P Though, in the meantime, anyone could just go to TriRudy.com and register free .. it's a "virtual" Club but, estabished ... If you are looking for the pink kinvara's for women, they have beeen marked down to $95.00/pair ... :wink:

Return to “Gearing Up”