Lululemon - worth the cost?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Lululemon - worth the cost?

Postby Kelodie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:24 am

I love lulu clothes! They really last longer than other brands. I have retired 3 bras that don't provide as much support as they used to, but I lost weight so it may be why. They don't look like they stretched or anything.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Re: Lululemon - worth the cost?

Postby ceileigh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 am

Their stuff is not cheap but it does wear well and lasts. If you are a person who likes to 'out with the old and in with the new' every year then you either don't want lulu or you only want one or two pieces that you keep. If you are a person who likes to find something that is comfortable and you will wear over and over for several years (and not want to throw out ever) then lulu is worth the money!

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:33 am

ceileigh wrote:Their stuff is not cheap but it does wear well and lasts. If you are a person who likes to 'out with the old and in with the new' every year then you either don't want lulu or you only want one or two pieces that you keep. If you are a person who likes to find something that is comfortable and you will wear over and over for several years (and not want to throw out ever) then lulu is worth the money!

Naah, I'm the least trendy person I know. :lol: I'd rather have a long-wearing staple item than something that wears out in a year. Plus, the latter is so wasteful!

The snag-factor does matter though......hate hate hate having to be so delicate around some of my tech fabric stuff. :?
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:46 am

Pinky the Lulu is temporarily moved in Westboro. It's not on the corner of Churchill due to reno/construction. Just don't want you to miss it. It's about a block and a bit east on the opposite side of the road now - same side at Bush.
Good luck with your shopping!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:49 am

Marg wrote:Pinky the Lulu is temporarily moved in Westboro. It's not on the corner of Churchill due to reno/construction. Just don't want you to miss it. It's about a block and a bit east on the opposite side of the road now - same side at Bush.
Good luck with your shopping!

Thanks, Marg! I've never been to the store before, but I do remember driving by it on the way home from MEC one time. The website says 275 Richmond - do you know if that's the correct address right now?

It's ok if you're not sure, I'll just wander up and down the street from Bush, it's not a huge area to stroll around in. :)
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D

PB's:

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 am

Yep, that is the correct address. Just a few steps west of Athlone. Much smaller spot than the other store but you'll have choices for sure.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:53 am

If you walk west from Bushtukah, it's three streets.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:01 am

It's just that one shirt (long sleeve / short sleeve / tank) that had snag issues for me (and from the online comments I was not alone). I love the shirt - it is soft, comfortable, warm for winter running and yet you don't over heat. I loved it so much I got me a second one. That one snagged on a piece of velcro the first time I wore it. That snag caught and ripped the second time I wore it. I still wear the shirt, just under things only as it has a hole in the sleeve and can not be sewed due to the material! Lulu did give me a gift card to help make up for it though - they do stand behind their products. I just learned to not buy that specific material again (and it is a very minor player in the lulu line)

All this talk of lulu has made me want to drive to Ottawa and go shopping :lol: I love westboro! That's where I ran with the torch too! So it will always be one of my favourite places (Plus they really like Hannah in all the stores ... well except MEC that is!)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:21 am

I love the Lulu pieces I have!
Next to Sugoii it's become my favourite brand for running gear.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:59 am

i love LULU bottoms etc, but i find there tanks and sports bras fit small. I usually have to go up a size or 2. I am a full C chest, but the one tata tamer I bought it in a 38D........I am not a 38d! lol

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:08 am

fit-kitty wrote:i love LULU bottoms etc, but i find there tanks and sports bras fit small. I usually have to go up a size or 2. I am a full C chest, but the one tata tamer I bought it in a 38D........I am not a 38d! lol

Good to know! This is why I'm going to make the trek to the store instead of ordering online......especially with bottoms that have liner briefs, the fit is really finicky sometimes. Of course, if there are any in-store clearance/sales that wouldn't hurt either..... :shifty: :pray:

PB's:

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Phew, it was BUSY in Westboro today! :shock:

Well, I'm officially feeling kind of broke now.... :lol: But I did score some goodies!

At Bush I found two Sugoi racerback tops, one with a gathered bust in fuschia, and one with a gorgeous teal print and mesh back with pockets! I know I said I wanted more tees, but when you find Sugoi in your size marked down from $69-75 to $29 each, you can't really say no. :oops:

At Lulu I picked up 3 pairs (Ouch! Spendy!!) of the Run Speed short. I had only really planned to get two pairs, but then I found a pair in my size in the grey mottled print marked down to $34, so I had to get those too. I also got a pair in black with the paisley texture, and one that is black with periwinkle trim. I got like, nothing to match the periwinkle, but they were really pretty and I had to have them. :shifty: Then I got out of there before the temptation to pick up matching tops got too much - at $54+, I can't afford slip ups in that store! :shock:

PB's:

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 pm

PinkLady wrote:
fit-kitty wrote:i love LULU bottoms etc, but i find there tanks and sports bras fit small. I usually have to go up a size or 2. I am a full C chest, but the one tata tamer I bought it in a 38D........I am not a 38d! lol

Good to know! This is why I'm going to make the trek to the store instead of ordering online......especially with bottoms that have liner briefs, the fit is really finicky sometimes. Of course, if there are any in-store clearance/sales that wouldn't hurt either..... :shifty: :pray:

yes, too true, I purchased the speed short in a 4 at end of summer when on sale, and I got them home and hate them, I really could have went with the 6.

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm

fit-kitty wrote:
PinkLady wrote:

yes, too true, I purchased the speed short in a 4 at end of summer when on sale, and I got them home and hate them, I really could have went with the 6.

I ended up with the speed short in size 4.....I tried on size 2 as well, and they fit fine in the hips/waist/rise/bum, but were waaaay too short. :oops: I plan on doing bootcamp and other classes where I might have to bend over, and I was SO not comfortable bending over in the 2's! :shock: So I ended up with 4. I'm going to only wash and wear the pair I got on sale, since they're not returnable, and if I like them after a workout I'll wash the other two pairs. If not I can return the other two and not be out too much $$.

PB's:

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 pm

LOL

well, from the army pics--you have great legs (quads) so shows those suckers off!! :wink:

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:14 pm

I have a bunch of pieces from there: capris, running shorts, sports bras, head bands and a few tanks.

Nothing has pilled on me yet, and I wear them regularly, but I follow the washing instructions.

My only items that I don't love are the non-slip headbands. I find they stretch and get out of shape quite easily. (this may or may not be related to my giant melon). I am not terribly crazy about my running socks from there, but that's just a matter of preference.

Keep your eye on their website, they post sale items occasionally.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Women look great in Lulu gear!
A man perspective... for what it's worth...
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:Women look great in Lulu gear!

Ya think? In the Army half at one point 2 women in front of me had on matching lulu capris and tops. Both were very different shapes. Both wore their lulu very differently. One had on white underpants (full old lady style briefs) under her capris. Not that I was staring or anything ... but the capris were stretched so tight you could see the undies underneath them. I don't think that young lady looked at herself too closely before her run and honestly the matching outfit idea was one they should have left behind, lulu or not! :roll:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 pm

ceileigh wrote:

Ya think? In the Army half at one point 2 women in front of me had on matching lulu capris and tops. Both were very different shapes. Both wore their lulu very differently. One had on white underpants (full old lady style briefs) under her capris. Not that I was staring or anything ... but the capris were stretched so tight you could see the undies underneath them. I don't think that young lady looked at herself too closely before her run and honestly the matching outfit idea was one they should have left behind, lulu or not! :roll:

Tight fitting bottoms should always be worn commando.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:49 pm

ceileigh wrote:

Eeek! VPL is the debil!

Which is why I will take the shorty shorts and mini running skirts over compression shorts anyday.....

PB's:

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

I have one pair of compression shorts. I wear them for running in the rain when shorts / skirts get too wet! Otherwise I agree! Actually I had a hard time not giggling when I was behind them. I passed pretty soon because giggling and running is not a great combination ... at least not in a race when you are only in the first few km!

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm

ceileigh wrote:I have one pair of compression shorts. I wear them for running in the rain when shorts / skirts get too wet! Otherwise I agree! Actually I had a hard time not giggling when I was behind them. I passed pretty soon because giggling and running is not a great combination ... at least not in a race when you are only in the first few km!

I've never had a problem with my running skirts in the rain, but they fit really tightly in the waist and have compression shorts/briefs underneath, and they're light. I do like compression shorts for yoga when I don't want to flash the world when I'm upside down....but there ain't NO way I will wear compression shorts in daytime, especially not where my picture might be taken! :shock:

PB's:

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 pm

La wrote:
ceileigh wrote:

Tight fitting bottoms should always be worn commando.

And I will add a couple of points.

-just because you can fit into some lulu because of the stretchiness of the fabric doesn't mean that your bootie looks good.
- careful when picking out the color of your bottom pieces. Grey and light colors go dark when they get sweaty. And they aren't all flattering. Especially *where* you get sweaty....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 am

PinkLady wrote:
ceileigh wrote:I have one pair of compression shorts. I wear them for running in the rain when shorts / skirts get too wet! Otherwise I agree! Actually I had a hard time not giggling when I was behind them. I passed pretty soon because giggling and running is not a great combination ... at least not in a race when you are only in the first few km!

I've never had a problem with my running skirts in the rain, but they fit really tightly in the waist and have compression shorts/briefs underneath, and they're light. I do like compression shorts for yoga when I don't want to flash the world when I'm upside down....but there ain't NO way I will wear compression shorts in daytime, especially not where my picture might be taken! :shock:

I would have agreed right up to Ottawa Race Weekend this past year. It rained ... a lot ... especially since I am slow and was out there in the rain longer then faster runners. A few times I was wringing water out of my shorts as they were soaked, stuck to me, and riding up my legs. So I decided to have one pair of compression shorts for running in rain like that. That way there is less material to get wet! :roll:

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:07 am

ceileigh wrote:I would have agreed right up to Ottawa Race Weekend this past year. It rained ... a lot ... especially since I am slow and was out there in the rain longer then faster runners. A few times I was wringing water out of my shorts as they were soaked, stuck to me, and riding up my legs. So I decided to have one pair of compression shorts for running in rain like that. That way there is less material to get wet! :roll:

That's a good point....I also think the weight of the material matters. And running skirts seem to fair better in the heavy rain too, I think because they don't go in between the legs and water can't gather and weigh down the material....if the skirt gets really wet, the water just drips off the edge, so they can't 'puddle' in the crotch area like shorts can.

I didn't run my planned half at ORW this year because of my recovering sfx, but I did run that Sunday and got caught in the same rainstorm, and was wearing one of my lighter running skirts with attached briefs. They fared just fine, but my shirt got pretty soggy.

PB's:

Return to “Gearing Up”