Men wearing lulu lemons

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Kevin McRae

Men wearing lulu lemons

Postby Kevin McRae » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey guys! This is my first post so I'll make a little introduction first. I'm a 21 year old man from Winnipeg who recently got into competitive running. Over the summer I ran a full and a half marathon and did very well. I plan to race triple the amount next season, however I want to continue to train outside throughout the winter. As some of you may know, Winnipeg get pretty cold so pants are needed. I usually run in sweats on warmer winter days but I hate the loose feeling. I usually run in a tight under armour shirt (short or long sleeve depending on the weather). I've been looking at getting a pair of lulu lemon pants, some tight ones. Now, I'm very comfortable with my body, not to be cocky but I like how my body looks. Is it "socially acceptable" for men to run (20-25K) in tight pants in public? I know some people will give me a hard time (friends included) but should I feel like an idiot for being comfortable?

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: Men wearing lulu lemons

Postby jgore » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Welcome.

If it's comfortable, wear it. You'll see people running in just about anything. It's not a fashion show, so go out and have fun.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 pm

jgore wrote:Welcome.

If it's comfortable, wear it. You'll see people running in just about anything. It's not a fashion show, so go out and have fun.

Kona underpants run 2011
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 pm

it is so a fashion show
(in before the token Doonst jokes)
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:07 pm

I believe these gentlemen have proven my point: wear whatever works for you.

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I run in tights when it is too cold to run in shorts and too warm to run in winter running pants. Load of guys do it. As far as Lululemon clothing, I have a long sleeve running shirt which is pretty thick and quite warm. Not cheap but great quality. I use it for both running and skiing.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

You won't get any grief from other runners. Or women! ;) It's your buddies you'll have to field comments from.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

jgore wrote:I believe these gentlemen have proven my point: wear whatever works for you.

Although, I am usually self-conscious and conservative in what I wear .. :shifty: I do have a nice selection of tights for fall, winter and spring .. and, even in the summer months, if I wear my CW-X compression tights ..

As others have said, whatever is comfortable to you, Go For It ....

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:26 pm

HCcD wrote:

Kona underpants run 2011

if I had of been drinking diet coke right then, it would have def been shooting out my nose! too funny! :lol:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 pm

tights are fine. you may need more warmth than just tights though - or, tights with a wind proof front on it......

welcome to RM!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Irongirl wrote:tights are fine. you may need more warmth than just tights though - or, tights with a wind proof front on it......

welcome to RM!

This. I'll often wear tights as a base layer, looser tights on top, and shorts on top of that on the coldest days. To protect my junk from frostbite.

If your friends are runners, they'll get it. If they're not runners, they won't.

Welcome to RM by the way. I don't live in Winnipeg anymore but spent a few memorable years there bike-commuting all winter, so I know the cold you speak of.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

crash
Tom Longboat

Postby crash » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:42 pm

I always wear my cw-x tights all year round. My 3/4 in the summer and longs during the winter. Same thing , my friends might say things and not get it, but all my runing friends do, what ever works for you, go for it.
2011 vancouver energizer 10k race 56:45.89
june 9 2012 Abbotsford police run 10k 56:47
Dec 1 2012 Abbotsford Santa Shuffle 5k 25:30
June 8 2013 Abbotsford Police Run 10k 1:05.38 ( injured)

For ever and ever
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."
- Bill Bowerman

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:08 am

I wear tights in the winter, but I always wear shorts on top.
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:56 am

I also wear tights in winter. But if I were you I'd look elsewhere than Lulu for winter running tights - I think the running-specific companies offer better clothing. I've got tights from Craft and Sugoi that are excellent.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 am

fit-kitty wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Kona underpants run 2011

if I had of been drinking diet coke right then, it would have def been shooting out my nose! too funny! :lol:

You can blame thie one, courtesy of ceileigh .. :shifty: :P :wink:

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:09 pm

HCcD wrote:
fit-kitty wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Kona underpants run 2011

You can blame thie one, courtesy of ceileigh .. :shifty: :P :wink:

And this is why we heart triathletes.
:x!
Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:I also wear tights in winter. But if I were you I'd look elsewhere than Lulu for winter running tights - I think the running-specific companies offer better clothing. I've got tights from Craft and Sugoi that are excellent.

Actually, Lululemon has put quite a bit of thought and R & D into their running gear. A couple of years ago I was considering working with them as a Run Ambassador. Part of that involved some long sessions of trying out/reviewing and giving feedback on their runners gear, from a runners perspective. They are no longer strictly Dance & Yoga wear. Running gear probably accounts for half (if not more) of their product/sales any more.

I have many pieces of Lululemon running gear that I have been wearing with great comfort, warmth(when required) and coolness (when required) for 3-4 years.

I also have a lot of Saucony, Nike and Sugoi gear as well, and it matches the quality, but maybe not the style...
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 pm

MINITEE wrote:Actually, Lululemon has put quite a bit of thought and R & D into their running gear. A couple of years ago I was considering working with them as a Run Ambassador. Part of that involved some long sessions of trying out/reviewing and giving feedback on their runners gear, from a runners perspective. They are no longer strictly Dance & Yoga wear. Running gear probably accounts for half (if not more) of their product/sales any more.
I'd accept that for their women's gear, but last time I was in the local store the men's selection was very limited and I frankly didn't care for any of it. It's also very pricey.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Wear whatever's comfortable, but if you're going to be outside through some of the worst of winter, you'll benefit from a loose layer on the outside to keep the cold further away from your inner layer(s). I've managed nylon track pants over top of shorts down to a -50 wind chill and it's easy to have a layer of tights or long underwear inside that. Tights on their own would probably get uncomfortably cold by -20.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Men wearing lulu lemons

Postby mcshame » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 am

5 years ago I posted my concerns about tights, now I don't wear anything else in the winter and even short tights in the summer, I find I have less chaffing with tights. On the really cold days I use long underwear with tights ontop

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 am

It's like when you're a kid and your mom makes you wear a hat to school on cold days... and you don't want to because it's not cool. Avoiding frostbite and hypothermia is more important than looking cool. :)

With that said, Sugoi makes the best winter running gear, hands down. They have base layers and outer layers... not cheap, but definitely awesome! You could also go for an icebreaker (merino wool) base layer with a looser layer over top, for the REALLY cold days!

also, welcome to RM!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:30 am

ian wrote:Wear whatever's comfortable, but if you're going to be outside through some of the worst of winter, you'll benefit from a loose layer on the outside to keep the cold further away from your inner layer(s). I've managed nylon track pants over top of shorts down to a -50 wind chill and it's easy to have a layer of tights or long underwear inside that. Tights on their own would probably get uncomfortably cold by -20.
I don't use a loose layer. My Craft tights are comfy by themselves from -5 to maybe -15, the Sugoi ones are lighter so I wear them for 5 to -5 roughly. If it's colder than -15 or windy I will add a pair of lightweight wicking underwear. If it's really cold I'll swap that out for heavy weight underwear. I always wear wicking boxer briefs, so in colder weather it's 3 layers over the important bits.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:31 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:
ian wrote:Wear whatever's comfortable, but if you're going to be outside through some of the worst of winter, you'll benefit from a loose layer on the outside to keep the cold further away from your inner layer(s). I've managed nylon track pants over top of shorts down to a -50 wind chill and it's easy to have a layer of tights or long underwear inside that. Tights on their own would probably get uncomfortably cold by -20.
I don't use a loose layer. My Craft tights are comfy by themselves from -5 to maybe -15, the Sugoi ones are lighter so I wear them for 5 to -5 roughly. If it's colder than -15 or windy I will add a pair of lightweight wicking underwear. If it's really cold I'll swap that out for heavy weight underwear. I always wear wicking boxer briefs, so in colder weather it's 3 layers over the important bits.

your knees? ;)

OP - I bet you could take another 10 minutes off your time if you got rid of the basketball shorts in the summer, as well! (or, maybe you're trying to be like dgrant!)

(sportstats make it too easy to stalk people!)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

I suggested the same thing for moisture reasons - the layer closest to the skin gets damp, the outer layer stays dry.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Men look HAWT in Lulu.

That's all I have to say. :D
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Return to “Gearing Up”