Longer Battery Life

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Longer Battery Life

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:07 am

I am appealing to the long-distance athletes using timing devices -- I currently have the Garmin Forerunner 305, and am looking for something with longer battery life (12+hours) -- is there anything like this available, that will still provide pace, total distance, total time, and meet the battery life criteria....?

Thanks
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Longer Battery Life

Postby HCcD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 am

Either the 310xt or the 910xt will work .. up to 18-20+ hours, if I recall ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 am

These are considered refurbished, whatever that means ... could have been a product that was purchased, opened and returned or one that required repair, etc., but still comes with the 1 year manufacturer warranty .... $249.99 at the RR ... http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?cPath=171_640_435&language_id=1&products_id=4610

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:16 am

yep, the 310xt and 910xt are the only Garmins that will last that long-- popular in the ultra crowd. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks Andy -- will check it out -- is that the one you have? If so, are you happy with it....?
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Thanks Andy -- will check it out -- is that the one you have? If so, are you happy with it....?

It was great until the screen got crushed by the safe last year in GoofyLand ... been looking to replace it, but too cheap, so just been using my old 305 for the time being ...

The HR alone is worth $50.00 retail ... so, $249.99 is a good price, imo ...

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:25 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Thanks Andy -- will check it out -- is that the one you have? If so, are you happy with it....?

I have the 310xt and it has been serving me well for the past three/four years.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Great price for the 310xt and I loved mine (MrsStrider now owns it), but the battery doesn't go much beyond the 12hr. I upgraded to the 910xt and am loving it. It's only downfall is the current pace is still a little wonky, but I never care too much for that as I usually am more focused on Time / Distance / Avg Pace. Garmin is working on it. It is expensive, but it rocks. If you have the $$ - 910xt, if not 310xt - or go completely off the grid and look at some of the Suuto products.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 am

Strider wrote:Great price for the 310xt and I loved mine (MrsStrider now owns it), but the battery doesn't go much beyond the 12hr. I upgraded to the 910xt and am loving it. It's only downfall is the current pace is still a little wonky, but I never care too much for that as I usually am more focused on Time / Distance / Avg Pace. Garmin is working on it. It is expensive, but it rocks. If you have the $$ - 910xt, if not 310xt - or go completely off the grid and look at some of the Suuto products.

Can't recommend the new Suunto Ambit enough. Long battery life at 1 sec setting of 15+hrs, plus also gets 50+hrs at reduced setting. Very quick GPS lock. The thing that I like the best about it is that it keeps evolving with already a couple of new software updates since I got it....the watch just keeps improving with greater features. Definitely expensive, but it's the best running watch/GPS/Altimeter/HMR on the market!
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 am

spaff wrote:
Strider wrote:Great price for the 310xt and I loved mine (MrsStrider now owns it), but the battery doesn't go much beyond the 12hr. I upgraded to the 910xt and am loving it. It's only downfall is the current pace is still a little wonky, but I never care too much for that as I usually am more focused on Time / Distance / Avg Pace. Garmin is working on it. It is expensive, but it rocks. If you have the $$ - 910xt, if not 310xt - or go completely off the grid and look at some of the Suuto products.

Can't recommend the new Suunto Ambit enough. Long battery life at 1 sec setting of 15+hrs, plus also gets 50+hrs at reduced setting. Very quick GPS lock. The thing that I like the best about it is that it keeps evolving with already a couple of new software updates since I got it....the watch just keeps improving with greater features. Definitely expensive, but it's the best running watch/GPS/Altimeter/HMR on the market!

do they not have a non-HRM version? I don't see one... it looks like a great watch but I like being able to save money by opting out of the HRM!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
spaff wrote:

do they not have a non-HRM version? I don't see one... it looks like a great watch but I like being able to save money by opting out of the HRM!

Yes, they do have a non-HRM option. I was able to pair my old Suunto HRM strap with the Ambit, so that is what I got too.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 pm

oh ok, I'm just not seeing it then.

(I don't need a new one yet anyway, but I like to know what my options are! lol)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:22 pm

spaff wrote:

In the corral in Montreal yesterday morning, I got a wicked overview of the stunning Suunto Ambi.
Me: "What is that watch?!"
Him: "Ah, the Suunto Ambit".
Ended up chatting about it for at least 20 minutes. I was floored how nice this watch looks on the wrist, not huge or clunky. The stainless bezel rocked, and the features were pretty sweet. I can see why the Ultra crowd is drawn to it over the Garmin models. If it helps, the guy I spoke with purchased off Amazon.com for $429US in the "Refurbished" section. This price included the HRM. Only catch, he had to ship to a US address. Truly a drool worthy watch...
Last edited by abirdd on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 am

So where in Canada can you buy one of these Ambit's without a HR monitor? MEC has them with the HR strap. Not that I want one or anything like that - no! no! no!
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 am

Actually, just had a client tell me recently that you can get them in Canada at La Cordee in Quebec. http://www.lacordee.com/eng/search/adva ... rds=suunto

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 am

Perfect stocking stuffer - who wants to drop a hint to my DH??
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 am

This is a great discussion. Not that I'm anywhere near to entering ultra-land, but Suunto makes my scuba diving watch if that says anything. They're bullet-proof and reliable.
Carm

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:44 pm

spaff wrote:Actually, just had a client tell me recently that you can get them in Canada at La Cordee in Quebec. http://www.lacordee.com/eng/search/adva ... rds=suunto

Any first time purchaser at La Cordee should use coupon code "Natur3" - it takes $15 off $100 or more. Better than nothing if you're buying a $479 watch 8)

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:56 am

Selling my 910xt if anyone is interested.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am

Strider wrote:Selling my 910xt if anyone is interested.

Too bad you didn't post this before I bought my 310, because I would have been a taker..... although now I want the Suunto as well..... (OR I have to "speed up" to keep everything under 20 hours!! :shock: :evil: ) !! :D
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Longer Battery Life

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 am

DC Rainmaker review of the Suunto. At the very end he notes it is down on features compared to the competition so if you don't need the XL battery life & altimeter another watch may be a better choice. This may change with future firnware updates.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm

and then there is the Garmin fenix - http://sites.garmin.com/fenix/#begin

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:DC Rainmaker review of the Suunto. At the very end he notes it is down on features compared to the competition so if you don't need the XL battery life & altimeter another watch may be a better choice. This may change with future firnware updates.

With 2 substantial firmware updates already since it's release, and another one coming before year end, it's pretty safe to see Suunto's commitment to keeping improving what is already the best running watch I have ever worn. Other companies have yet to match Suunto in this regards, in addition to their exceptional customer service.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 am

Sold. Now I just have to wait till Christmas.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Strider wrote:

Sold. Now I just have to wait till Christmas.

Yah!! You decide between the new fenix or the Ambit?

Return to “Gearing Up”