Bike Racks?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
MikeM
Bill Crothers

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby MikeM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Bumping up this old thread since I'm looking into getting a rack for our Mazda 5. We don't have a hitch yet, but will probably get one installed since I don't want a roof rack and the angle of the Mazda's back wouldn't allow for a trunk rack.

I'm thinking of getting a 4-bike rack so that the kids bikes can go on there (1 for now, 2 eventually) but do kids' bikes even fit on these racks?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Bike Racks?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes they do- sometimes you need to be a bit creative with bungee cords.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:08 pm

I have a Thule 4 bike rack and really like it. On my Civic I can only put 2 bikes on there based on the tongue of the hitch but with your Mazda 5, you should be fine with bikes for 2 adults and 2 kids. Double check that though.

I highly recommend Auto Racks. Their prices are competitive and they install the rack for you in a flash.
Carm

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks Jen and Carm.

carm wrote:I have a Thule 4 bike rack and really like it. On my Civic I can only put 2 bikes on there based on the tongue of the hitch but with your Mazda 5, you should be fine with bikes for 2 adults and 2 kids. Double check that though.

I highly recommend Auto Racks. Their prices are competitive and they install the rack for you in a flash.

When I emailed about getting a hitch installed, they initially said that it would only support 2 bikes. However, when I asked about it he said that the tongue weight is 200lbs. From googling, ours are probably around 32-35lbs (maybe a little more since they're an older model), and DD#1 bike and the baby seat attached to DW's bike are obviously a lot less.

Thanks for the Auto Racks recommendation.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 pm

This thread IS timely. I am looking at racks that fit on spare tires (I have a Jeep Wrangler Sport. His name is Ernie Mangoes). I am a bit leery about the ones that just connect through the tire, they get mixed reviews... Anyone have an opinion?
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:52 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:This thread IS timely. I am looking at racks that fit on spare tires (I have a Jeep Wrangler Sport. His name is Ernie Mangoes). I am a bit leery about the ones that just connect through the tire, they get mixed reviews... Anyone have an opinion?

I had a YJ for 13 years and had one of these. It was perfect. There's a plate behind the tire that holds the rack. And the bikes swing with the tailgate. Perfect. I'll see if I can find a link.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:54 pm

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:55 pm

turd ferguson wrote:http://www.a1-autoracks.com/sportrack-spare-tire-mounted-bike-racks-a30813stl-240.jpg

Thanks!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Return to “Gearing Up”