Garmin 110 problem

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
alexk
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Garmin 110 problem

Postby alexk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

My year-old Garmin seems to have died today (unexpectedly) & I don't know why or what to do (if there's anything I can do). It was purchased at the RR on Feb. 14, 2012 - so my 60 days are long gone. It's also just past Garmin's 1 year warranty. Am I out of luck?

The problem seems to be that it's frozen. When I try to recharge it, it freezes again. It was working fine on Friday. Has anyone ever had this happen? It hasn't even had a ton of use. I don't use it for every run and I didn't use it almost all last summer. Suggestions?

I'm really bummed - what a waste of $200. I do have all the original packaging and the sales receipt...
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Garmin 110 problem

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 pm

I assume you've tried the hard reset?

Call Garmin and see what they say.

And next time buy at MEC.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

alexk
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby alexk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Jen, I have no techy skills. What's the hard reset?
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jump145
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby Jump145 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 pm

No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

User avatar
ngcaper
Tom Longboat
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am
Location: NCR

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby ngcaper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 am

Jwolf wrote:I assume you've tried the hard reset?

Call Garmin and see what they say.

And next time buy at MEC.


Hey Jwolf, I seen you say buy at MEC before. I'm also sure it's for a good reason but I don't know why. Do they have a generous return policy or something else good? That always sways my purchasing dollar.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 am

I had a different issue with my 110 in December - and I'd gotten it for Christmas the year before, so with the purchase date, it was *just* out of warranty. I called Garmin directly, and they were willing to do the repair under warranty for me, since the time was so close. Worth a call!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Garmin 110 problem

Postby Jwolf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 am

ngcaper wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I assume you've tried the hard reset?

Call Garmin and see what they say.

And next time buy at MEC.


Hey Jwolf, I seen you say buy at MEC before. I'm also sure it's for a good reason but I don't know why. Do they have a generous return policy or something else good? That always sways my purchasing dollar.

Yes they do. It's simple to exchange it a the store if there is a problem. They have honoured their policy beyond the manufacturers warranty, too.

I find that Running Room has the worst policies on this unfortunately.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46890
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Jwolf wrote:I find that Running Room has the worst policies on this unfortunately.


and this is a surprise? :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

alexk
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby alexk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Just spent almost an hour on the phone w/ Garmin & my baby is fixed. The issue was that I had never cleared the history (don't upload my runs but now I know how). The same thing happened with my 201 but that was after 5 years and many marathons. This one has yet to run a marathon! I guess they don't make them like they used to :).

Nonetheless, I was VERY pleased w/ Garmin's customer service. We had to try to clear the history several ways b/f finding a way that worked. And they were willing to honour the wararanty even though it was beyond a year.

Lesson learned: buy the pricey stuff from MEC (and clear my history)!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Garmin 110 problem

Postby Jwolf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Glad Garmin was able to help you over the phone Allie. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm

alexk wrote:Just spent almost an hour on the phone w/ Garmin & my baby is fixed. The issue was that I had never cleared the history (don't upload my runs but now I know how). The same thing happened with my 201 but that was after 5 years and many marathons. This one has yet to run a marathon! I guess they don't make them like they used to :).

Nonetheless, I was VERY pleased w/ Garmin's customer service. We had to try to clear the history several ways b/f finding a way that worked. And they were willing to honour the wararanty even though it was beyond a year.

Lesson learned: buy the pricey stuff from MEC (and clear my history)!


yay! glad it worked!

I was very impressed with Garmin customer service -I didn't have a receipt or anything, and they tracked my purchase using the serial number to get a sense of when it would have been shipped from the factory.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

alexk
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby alexk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 pm

An update on my Garmin saga. Not long after I thought I'd fixed my Garmin, it started going wonky. It would die for no reason and became unreliable. My warranty was up in Feb but Garmin still had it replaced. All it took was a call and they sent an email verifying the extended warranty. I sent the Garmin, along w/ the email and a copy of my sale's receipt, to a company in Quebec 2 weeks ago and received my new watch today :). I did have to pay for shipping ($15) but was ok w/ that.

I was really pleased w/ Garmin's service, realising they didn't have to replace the watch as the warranty was up. I'm happy they stood by their product!

Just wanted to pass along this good -customer-service story!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Garmin 110 problem

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:55 pm

alexk wrote:An update on my Garmin saga. Not long after I thought I'd fixed my Garmin, it started going wonky. It would die for no reason and became unreliable. My warranty was up in Feb but Garmin still had it replaced. All it took was a call and they sent an email verifying the extended warranty. I sent the Garmin, along w/ the email and a copy of my sale's receipt, to a company in Quebec 2 weeks ago and received my new watch today :). I did have to pay for shipping ($15) but was ok w/ that.

I was really pleased w/ Garmin's service, realising they didn't have to replace the watch as the warranty was up. I'm happy they stood by their product!

Just wanted to pass along this good -customer-service story!


awesome! that sounds a lot like my experience. i was very happy!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon


Return to “Gearing Up”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests