Buying a treadmill...

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Jpod
Percy Williams

Buying a treadmill...

Postby Jpod » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 am

:help: I've been trying to buy a treadmill and I'm getting more and more frustrated and hopeless... I had to stop running for a while and I'm trying to get back at it.

The other treadmill I've been looking at is from Costco.

http://www.costco.ca/XTERRA%C2%AE-TR755 ... 00322.html

Anyway if someone could give me some insight, or even direct me to a place to get a good treadmill for not too much money, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
Last edited by Jpod on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: Buying a treadmill...

Postby fingerboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 am

The length shouldn't really be an issue. There is a sweet spot from the front to about 3/4 down, usually the back of the machine is a little stiffer (but it's not that hard to stay in place). Though most ppl run at the very front anyways, I try to aim for the middle (do more work and have a better leg and arm drive). Mine has a 2 hp motor and it works fine. I guess the main question is which has the best fit and finish for what you can afford. Tm belts that slip are not worth it to me. Some people can live with it, I can't (this is when you're running and feel a little jerk in the step from the machine).

That being said, both 58-60 in the length seems pretty short, but you do run with your foot striking below you or a bit in front, not behind, so the length doesn't matter too much if you're consistent.

Jpod
Percy Williams

Postby Jpod » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:39 am

thanks, that's good to know! In that case I might consider a TM with ifit, which looks kinda cool for when you're stuck indoors all winter during the -20 months...

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 am

Have you checked Kijiji or the classifieds? You might get a nice deal on a used one someone is currently using as a drying rack...

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am

ifit looks awesome, but i haven't seen any reviews on it. let me know how it goes if you do...(this is one of those ones that have google maps built in and will adjust the elevation automatically?)

im going to try a similar approach with dvds that connect to your footpod and have 10mi routes that will adjust with your speed up to 8mph or so.

ifit looks amazing though. except i think you have to pay a subscription for that gmaps part.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:48 pm

no advice on specific models, but i love my TM for fitting in running with a little one at home. i got really good at hopping on and off the moving belt to put baby's soother back in her mouth!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm

We have an entry level Precor at home and while it lacks allot in functions and features, it is a very well built TM and I suspect it would last longer than I'll be running, LOL.

As much as I hate running on the TM, it really is a great option if you can't get outside (which with a 3 year old I sometimes can't!).

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 am

I have a Sole F-something in my basement. It works great (except for that time I tried to adjust the speed without grounding myself first, and blew out 1/2 of the control panel; fortunately it has an alternate set of speed up/down buttons that still work). Just wish it had negative incline. When it finally bites the dust, I'll probably get a PaceMaster Platinum Pro VR.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Gearing Up”