Vibrams Five Finger Shoes To Add Cushioning

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Vibrams Five Finger Shoes To Add Cushioning

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 am

Oh, the irony ... as more and more of the mainstream running shoe manufacturers have been going minimalist these past few years, Vibrams FF have may be going in the opposite direction ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

Vibram FiveFingers to add cushioning to 2 of its ‘barefoot’ running shoe models

In an interesting twist to the barefoot-style running shoe category, market leader Vibram FiveFingers is adding a cushioned midsole to two of its 2014 models. The Vibram Bikila EVO will offer runners a softer footstrike as an 8.5mm foam midsole cushions the blow. The shoe will still maintain a zero drop. Another Vibram model called the Vybrid is expected to be released in Spring 2014 and will feature even more cushioning than the new Bikila EVO.

Vibram Bikila EVO
It may seem paradoxical, or even hypocritical, for barefoot running advocates to alter the shoe’s natural ride with extra cushioning, but the company is likely aiming to satisfy a demand that been there for years. Some runners who love the Bikilas, which are known for their trademark separated toes, have complained about foot pain from the lack of cushioning and have even resorted to “modding” the shoes by adding their own padding.
http://runningmagazine.ca/sections/news/vibram-to-add-cushioning-to-2-of-its-barefoot-fivefingers-running-shoe-models/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Vibrams Five Finger Shoes To Add Cushioning

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:40 am

I saw a runners world preview of next season's shoes, and lots of companies seem to be putting out models with more cushioning, but more flexibility and / or lower heel-toe drop. They certainly look funny!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I saw a runners world preview of next season's shoes, and lots of companies seem to be putting out models with more cushioning, but more flexibility and / or lower heel-toe drop. They certainly look funny!

I was in the Bush a week or so ago, and noticed that they had a version of VFF on the wall, with a "4mm drop" indicated on the wall/description tag ... If so, it contradicts what the above posting suggested that the VFF will remain at "Zero Drop" .... :what: :what:

eta: Unless, it was the model with "arch support" that I was looking at ?? Hmm ... :think: :think: :think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:17 am

I am loving my Hoka's, but also run in my VFF KSO's. They all have their purpose.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Strider wrote:I am loving my Hoka's, but also run in my VFF KSO's. They all have their purpose.

I believe I heard (or possibly said) at one time that the purpose of VFF's was to feed hungry Hoka's.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Strider wrote:I am loving my Hoka's, but also run in my VFF KSO's. They all have their purpose.

Agree- I have a variety of shoes, all with different amounts of cushion. I wear what works for the occasion.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:08 am

The market dictates the product.

I sort of saw this coming the day I first put my KSO's on in 2009.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I have around 150km on my 5 Finger Classics. I think I only have around 50km on my 5 Finger KSO. I used the Classics all last summer when I was home on Prince Edward Island. They were perfect for my 10km to 16km runs along the beaches. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Gearing Up”