Best shoes for Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee)

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
katmeau

Best shoes for Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee)

Postby katmeau » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:54 am

Are there any shoes that help with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee) or give extra support for this issues. Womens shoes

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Best shoes for Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Kn

Postby La » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 pm

I don't think that's a problem that can be solved with shoes. Usually it's due to over-developed quad muscles that "pull" the patella off track. Usually strengthening exercises work best, and some people find taping or a knee strap* can help in the short term.

*I can never remember whether it's the one worn above the knee or just below that helps this. I *think* above the knee (below the knee helps IT band pain).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 pm

La wrote:I don't think that's a problem that can be solved with shoes. Usually it's due to over-developed quad muscles that "pull" the patella off track. Usually strengthening exercises work best, and some people find taping or a knee strap* can help in the short term.

*I can never remember whether it's the one worn above the knee or just below that helps this. I *think* above the knee (below the knee helps IT band pain).

A training partner of mine is currently wearing a simple strap below the knee for this. I agree that it is not a shoe problem. Hills are not your friend as you wait for this to subside.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 am

La wrote:I don't think that's a problem that can be solved with shoes. Usually it's due to over-developed quad muscles that "pull" the patella off track. Usually strengthening exercises work best, and some people find taping or a knee strap* can help in the short term.

other way - above the knee is for IT.

As for PFPS - orthotics or stability shoes can help if part the reason your patella is off track is doing to pronation (though strengthening will be a longer term fix). I recommend going somewhere good to have your gait addressed. I had really bad PFPS when I used to play rugby, and orthotics really gave me a lot of relief, and later when I first started running, I wore the Brooks Adrenaline, a stability shoe, which also helped.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “Gearing Up”