Recent injury need new shoes please help

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Seetracygo

Recent injury need new shoes please help

Postby Seetracygo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:15 am

Hello

I started running in mid September and was running 5km every other day until the end of October when I had to go to the hospital for a sudden severe pain on the top of my foot starting from the second toe all the way up the whole top of my foot. I was in so much pain I could not walk or even touch the foot.

The Doctor didn't really tell me what was wrong in emerg, he just did an X-ray gave me a injection of pain killers and anti-inflammatory, told me it wasn't broken and sent me home.

I stopped running to give it time to heal and I decided I probably need proper running shoes as I was just running in cheap Nike that I have had forever. I went to a Running store and the shop owner recommended me Brooks Glycerin 11, however at $179 before taxes those shoes are out of my price range. I have a narrow foot and a long second toe, my knees bend slightly inwards when I run, I am 5' 6" and 135lbs. Can anyone recommend me a good shoe that will support my foot properly so I do not get injured again for a reasonable price.

Thank you runner friends! :help:

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Re: Recent injury need new shoes please help

Postby Darth Tater » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:24 am

I'd suggest going to a couple other running stores and have them also evaluate your feet. If they recommend shoes out of your price range, let them know what you can afford - they may be able to suggest an alternative in your range. Get a few shoe alternatives and suggestions, and then do your research. See if you can find them cheaper somewhere else, or online.

Running shoes, generally, are not cheap.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:24 am

Check out the Clearance section of online stores such as Running Room or Running Free. You may find last year's version of Brooks Glycerin shoes for cheaper. However, note that some shoe manufacturers make major changes between versions, so that last year's version may feel quite different on your feet.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Good luck with your shoe shopping and continued running.

Two observations:
1. I wouldn't say what you're describing is a common running injury, and I definitely wouldn't count on a shoe (any shoe) solving that for you. You'll hear anecdotes though about people suffering painful inflammation in the feet (so many bones/ligaments/tendons/muscles in there!) that eventually solve themselves with time and anti-inflammatories. Hopefully that's the case for you. Maybe you just need to switch to running a bit less often for a while... sometimes your muscular/skeletal system needs to catch up to what your cardiovascular system can already accomplish.

2. Running shoes are less expensive through online US retailers... sometimes as much as 50% less. The catch is that most brands don't allow these retailers to ship to Canadian addresses. However if you live near the border it can often be worth having the retailer ship to a UPS store (or similar) for you to drive down and pick them up. Check out http://www.runningwarehouse.com and http://www.holabirdsports.com. Obviously you don't want to buy your first pair this way, but once you know your preferred shoe you can save a lot of money.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Not sure what to say about your specific injury...it could just be from running in old, broken-down shoes that probably weren't "running" shoes. It could just have been from tying them up too tight. So, I'd focus more on getting the right shoes for you as the active runner that you now are and moving forward from there. Again, not sure what "running store" you went to. The closest ones to you would probably be in Peterborough (??) where they have a Runner's Life and a Running Room. The Brooks Glycerin is a neutral and pretty cushioned shoe and there are plenty of that type of shoe around. You need to find one that feels great on your feet. However, with your knees rolling inward as you run, you may need a shoe with a bit more support to keep your legs lined up straight. For this analysis, you need to find a good salesperson who knows their stuff and can help you pick a shoe that matches both your running style and your wallet.
As Dave said above...once you know the shoe that works for you, there are cheaper places to buy it. For example, the Running Room online store has the previous version of the Glycerin on sale for $120.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:42 am

* whisper whisper* stress fracture.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am

Is your foot still bothering you or is it ok now?

If it's still bothering you I would get a second opinion (and/or physio).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Seetracygo

Postby Seetracygo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone these are great suggestions! I'm going to check a few other places and ask more questions when I am in the store so I know the right type of shoes for my foot and I can search the best price. I am itching to get running again!

Bruce Kidd

Postby newbie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 am

I run in the glycerin 11 and have also used the 10's and there is not that much of a difference. I just bought a pair of 10's from Gander mountain (they are a outdoor store in the US) for $49.00. My original 10's were $199.00.
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 pm

newbie wrote:I run in the glycerin 11 and have also used the 10's and there is not that much of a difference. I just bought a pair of 10's from Gander mountain (they are a outdoor store in the US) for $49.00. My original 10's were $199.00.

Good to know about the Glycerin 11's. I currently alternate between the 9's & 10's and I retired my 8's earlier this year. Both my 9 & 10's were purchased thru eBay for under $65 each all-in. I purchased my 8’s on the clearance table at the Running Room. I had a bid on a pair of 11’s that closed on Monday thru eBay for $61 $US plus shipping. So deals can be found online.

The Nike Vomero’s are a similar shoe as the Glycerin’s. I found that when you go into those types of shoes, the price goes up. I suggest doing your research, knowing what size fits you best and look for them online.

First & foremost, I would get that foot checked (get a second option) if it is still bothering you. Secondly, try to get a proper fitting with hopefully a gait analysis. It almost sounds like you may need stability shoes.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “Gearing Up”