Garmin 310xt

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
La
Kevin Sullivan

Garmin 310xt

Postby La » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:14 pm

My new (refurbished) Forerunner 310XT arrived on Thursday. I *think* I finally got it all set up. It's a lot like my old 305, so the learning curve isn't too steep (compared to the TomTom).

My only complaint so far is that the ANT stick is tiny. I don't think they could have made it any smaller if they tried! I'll have to keep it in the little plastic pouch it came in so that I don't lose it.

It was a bit finicky to get it paired up with Garmin connect (and I'm not sure what's the easiest way to transfer the data to Strava - or whichever app I decide to use).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Garmin 310xt

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Too small? I think the ANT stick is too big. I wish I could have one of those small ones that just stays in. The one I have I actually bent a bit but it still works. (ETA I realize now you must have the smaller one. That's the one I want-- I would just leave it n there.)

La wrote:It was a bit finicky to get it paired up with Garmin connect (and I'm not sure what's the easiest way to transfer the data to Strava - or whichever app I decide to use).

You should be using Garmin Express which takes the place of the old Garmin Communicator Plugin (uninstall that if you still have it). Then you just search for your device on Garmin Connect and it extracts the data-- if the ANT stick is plugged in, it does it instantly as soon as your watch is close to the computer-- nothing to launch.

Easiest way for Strava is to link it directly to your Garmin Connect account. Just go to "upload activities" and select "device" and enter your Garmin connect credentials. You do NOT need the communicator plugin because it is getting the data via the web.

You can also link other apps to your Garmin Connect account directly. Some people do this and never actually use the Garmin Connect site.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 pm

I also find the connection to garminconnect finicky. It doesn't always launch automatically for me, I have to manually open it and enable pairing. PITA.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 pm

310 data transfer works much better since Garmin Express appeared. Almost zero problems.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Jwolf wrote:Easiest way for Strava is to link it directly to your Garmin Connect account. Just go to "upload activities" and select "device" and enter your Garmin connect credentials. You do NOT need the communicator plugin because it is getting the data via the web.

So, I'm trying to do this, but Strava says I need to install the communicator plugin. Then when I try to do that, it says that Chrome no longer supports the plug-in and it wants me to run it in Explorer. :?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Ok, I can see that the two accounts are synched (both in Garmin Connect and in Strava), but for some reason Garmin Connect didn't send my workouts to Strava automatically, the way it's implying it should.
Strava Upload and Sync page wrote:Connected with Garmin

Upload an activity to Garmin Connect to trigger automatic syncing.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:29 pm

GC doesn't really send it to Strava- Strava directly interfaces with GC. It's a subtle difference but it's like push vs fetch.

I'm not sure why it said you needed the plugin because you don't- but I'm also not sure what's wrong now.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Gearing Up”