Garmin 610 - feedback?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Garmin 610 - feedback?

Postby MINITEE » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:48 pm

My well used and beloved 305 is on it's last legs. The GPS started to count backwards about an hour into my run on Sunday :-S!

I've been looking at re-furbished items on GPS City and have seen a couple of 610's.

Wondering if anyone has one and how they like it. I've checked DC Rainmaker and it seems favorable, but just wanted some first hand accounts.

My biggest concern is the swipe/touch screen. Is it stable or is it fussy at all?

Thanks!
T
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Garmin 610 - feedback?

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:13 pm

I had this watch for a short time and then returned it because the band kept breaking- it doesn't have a hinged band which is a known flawed design. I ended up getting a 910xt.

The 620 has replaced the 610 and is a much better design. The 610 is a good watch otherwise. The touch screen works well. But the breaking band was a show-stopper for me. MEC took it back NQA.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Garmin 610 - feedback?

Postby La » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 am

I was given a 610 a few years ago by a fellow RM-er. I had the same problem with the strap coming un-hinged where it connected to the watch, especially when putting it on and taking it off. It was easy to use, but the touch screen could be finicky at times (round face, but the active touch-screen was square, so it felt like some of the edges/corners were cut off and not accessible, if that makes sense - sort of like putting a square picture in a round frame).

I liked that the battery lasted all week when in "watch" mode and it wasn't giant on my wrist, so I could wear it like a regular watch.

It was best for running, so-so for cycling (no auto-pause), but you can't use it in the water.

It ended up dying this past summer when the connectors on the back of the watch ceased making contact with the charger, so I couldn't charge it anymore.

If you loved your 305 and want something with near-identical functionality (and a few extras), go with the 310xt. I got a refurbished model for $139 from GPS City.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 pm

La wrote: It was easy to use, but the touch screen could be finicky at times (round face, but the active touch-screen was square, so it felt like some of the edges/corners were cut off and not accessible, if that makes sense - sort of like putting a square picture in a round frame).

This I don't remember-- I would set it on three active fields, two small (top and bottom) and one large (middle) so that it filled the round screen. In general I had no issue with the touch screen-- just the band. Which was too bad because it was a great watch otherwise.

Then again.... now I would love the 620 instead with its blue-tooth connectivity for data transfer. In general I would go with something with some kind of wireless data transfer, because the problem that La describes with the contacts is an issue with lots of Garmins. The 310xt also uses wireless data transfer via ANT+, which is Garmin's proprietary technology, but I'd prefer bluetooth or wifi (which the newer, pricier Garmins have).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:43 pm

I ended up getting a great deal ($139) for a refurb from GPS City. I did read about the straps, and there is a solution (they're selling a velcro replacement strap now). I'll deal with that if I have to.

I wanted something I could also wear as a "watch".

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Fingers crossed this will work out for me for a couple of years. My 101 (which I got from Trix) is still working! K has it. My 305 lasted 8+ years, I fear that my luck with long-life Garmin's has probably run it's course.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:23 pm

MINITEE wrote:I ended up getting a great deal ($139) for a refurb from GPS City. I did read about the straps, and there is a solution (they're selling a velcro replacement strap now). I'll deal with that if I have to.

That's a good solution-- although keep an eye on it, because I almost lost mine when the band broke. If it looks like it's taking strain, replace it sooner rather than later. If you have a small wrist, it's bound to break eventually, so it may be worth considering replacing it with the velcro band right away.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:25 am

Jwolf wrote:
MINITEE wrote:I ended up getting a great deal ($139) for a refurb from GPS City. I did read about the straps, and there is a solution (they're selling a velcro replacement strap now). I'll deal with that if I have to.

That's a good solution-- although keep an eye on it, because I almost lost mine when the band broke. If it looks like it's taking strain, replace it sooner rather than later. If you have a small wrist, it's bound to break eventually, so it may be worth considering replacing it with the velcro band right away.

With mine, it wasn't the strap that was breaking, it was coming apart where the pin attaches to the watch (i.e., the pin would pop out and the strap would come off as a result).

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 am

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote: It was easy to use, but the touch screen could be finicky at times (round face, but the active touch-screen was square, so it felt like some of the edges/corners were cut off and not accessible, if that makes sense - sort of like putting a square picture in a round frame).

This I don't remember-- I would set it on three active fields, two small (top and bottom) and one large (middle) so that it filled the round screen. In general I had no issue with the touch screen-- just the band. Which was too bad because it was a great watch otherwise.

I found it hard to use the touch screen when scrolling through options/settings, not when just looking at the screen. My issue wasn't about not being able to see things properly, it was about being able to touch the right part of the screen to get it to go into the option I was selecting.

Return to “Gearing Up”