nonlinear periodization

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: nonlinear periodization

Postby QuickChick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:09 am

So Corpus, or Jesse, what's the basic summary? Or I guess the "abstract"? Does he suggest training the same way all year round and sharpening up when appropriate for a race, or does he stand by the traditional base/strength/speed/race/recovery wisdom?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am

I found that book here.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Jo-Jo - Still coaching.. but more for fun, less for profit.

eljef-fe - "if you trained high volume/high intensity, year round, it seems to me like this would inevitably start producing the same results"
This is neither high volume or high intensity... just hitting a different "mix" year round.

Corpus Cani - I try not to read these types of books, but as I understand it.. Tudor Bompa was very much a classic periodization kind of guy?
BTW, you in Melbourne?

The reason why I bring up nonlinear periodization for the non-elite (age group) athlete:
- our training time (and our rest time) is dictated by the demands of work, family, etc..
- we tend to race more sporadically, at a variety of different distances across the year
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

But how exactly do you train this mix of limiters without intensity? Just do short races in place of speedwork?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:04 pm

eljef-fe wrote:But how exactly do you train this mix of limiters without intensity? Just do short races in place of speedwork?

There is intensity-- I think Greg meant you don't do high intensity all the time or that it's not a high-intensity-focussed theory.

This is really no different than how many of us are already training-- for example, two or maybe three harder workouts per week (long run, hills, speedwork, tempo) alternating with easy days or rest.

What's it's NOT is traditional sequential periodization where you focus on one type of training at the expense of all others. For example, an "off-season" of long periods of only aerobic base-building with no faster runs, later followed by periods which focus on strength, speed, or LT. As Greg said, mixing it up throughout the year tends to work better for most non-elites whose have other stuff going on in their lives and also like to race all year round at various distances.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:52 pm

It is also about maintaining all your hard won gains and not letting it all slip away while you build a base for the following season.
Think of it as carrying peak fitness over so that it just becomes your normal basic level of running fitness.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:It is also about maintaining all your hard won gains and not letting it all slip away while you build a base for the following season.
Think of it as carrying peak fitness over so that it just becomes your normal basic level of running fitness.

I've always found that when I start up in a new season of triathlon (albeit I just finished my 3rd full season), or begin training for the season of running, that the improvements I made over the previous season are still there. It's not like I go back to running the 60 minute 10ks of 2003 when I first started out, I can in fact challenge my PBs early into each year. I don't have an explanation other than the rest did me good, and I trained hard at the beginning of the year to get back where I left off.

But that said, my elite friend often says to me "you earn it in the off season", and he's winning more races than I am. I can accept different strokes for different folks. Myself, I am more motivated to work hard when I'm fresh than I am when I'm burnt out. The breaks are what keep me so enthusiastic in triathlon and marathon running, ready to work, and consistently progressing year after year. Other's experiences may vary.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:04 pm

eljef-fe wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:It is also about maintaining all your hard won gains and not letting it all slip away while you build a base for the following season.

I've always found that when I start up in a new season of triathlon (albeit I just finished my 3rd full season), or begin training for the season of running, that the improvements I made over the previous season are still there. It's not like I go back to running the 60 minute 10ks of 2003 when I first started out, I can in fact challenge my PBs early into each year. I don't have an explanation other than the rest did me good, and I trained hard at the beginning of the year to get back where I left off.

But that said, my elite friend often says to me "you earn it in the off season", and he's winning more races than I am. I can accept different strokes for different folks. Myself, I am more motivated to work hard when I'm fresh than I am when I'm burnt out. The breaks are what keep me so enthusiastic in triathlon and marathon running, ready to work, and consistently progressing year after year. Other's experiences may vary.

I can relate to this. It's why I like having an "off month" at the end of a season where I drink wne when I want and run when I want. This usually translates into more wine drinking than running for me. :wink: :wink:
This strategy seems to work for me because I'm not too shabby when it comes to AG Place and Gender Placement in races :D :D
I find this break nice...not only physically but mentally. Mind you...I'm an "old doll" of 56 so you youngsters may just be able to go full speed ahead all year...and kudos to you. I'll just sip my wine quietly while you do this :wink:
Seriously..I'm like Jeff...I like the breaks and find myself "champing at the bit" to get back to training after these breaks :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:01 am

QuickChick wrote:So Corpus, or Jesse, what's the basic summary? Or I guess the "abstract"? Does he suggest training the same way all year round and sharpening up when appropriate for a race, or does he stand by the traditional base/strength/speed/race/recovery wisdom?

A very, very basic summary Quick Chick
Bompa doesn’t give any specific running programs as such - X amount of miles/kms. etc. that is for the coach and athlete to plan taking into account the individuals strengths and weaknesses. He describes the various energy systems the intensities and the types of strength training work – power, max. strength, muscle endurance long, medium and short durations that one should train at in a phase specific periodized program. (Base- Gerneral specific- Specific- Pre-competition and Competition)
Periodization is about peaking for a particular race or series of races and Bompa gives examples of a 12 month programs but also a Bi-cycle,Tri-cycle and a Double-peak.
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:18 am

mytrilife wrote:
Corpus Cani - I try not to read these types of books, but as I understand it.. Tudor Bompa was very much a classic periodization kind of guy?
BTW, you in Melbourne?

Trilife, I can't recomend Bompa highly enough, I respect the fact that you may have your own philosophy on such things but coaches never stop learning. He has another book PERIODIZATION TRAINING FOR SPORTS really the same book except for a few changes (pictures)
Yes I am from Melbourne. Sporting Capital of the World :wink:

mytrilife wrote:
The reason why I bring up nonlinear periodization for the non-elite (age group) athlete:
- our training time (and our rest time) is dictated by the demands of work, family, etc..
- we tend to race more sporadically, at a variety of different distances across the year

Canadian winters huh?
Good post Trilife! has brought up a lot of interesting discussion

Incidentally, I believe Tudor Bompa resides in Canada
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:16 am

Corpus Cani wrote:
QuickChick wrote:So Corpus, or Jesse, what's the basic summary? Or I guess the "abstract"? Does he suggest training the same way all year round and sharpening up when appropriate for a race, or does he stand by the traditional base/strength/speed/race/recovery wisdom?

A very, very basic summary Quick Chick
Bompa doesn’t give any specific running programs as such - X amount of miles/kms. etc. that is for the coach and athlete to plan taking into account the individuals strengths and weaknesses. He describes the various energy systems the intensities and the types of strength training work – power, max. strength, muscle endurance long, medium and short durations that one should train at in a phase specific periodized program. (Base- Gerneral specific- Specific- Pre-competition and Competition)
Periodization is about peaking for a particular race or series of races and Bompa gives examples of a 12 month programs but also a Bi-cycle,Tri-cycle and a Double-peak.

Thanks Corpi. I think I'd like to check this book out.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:22 am

Corpus Cani wrote:Yes I am from Melbourne. Sporting Capital of the World :wink:

Canadian winters huh?
Good post Trilife! has brought up a lot of interesting discussion

Incidentally, I believe Tudor Bompa resides in Canada

Wish I would have had time to spend in Melbourne, I've heard it's awesome.
Only saw it from the motorway when driving from Geelong to Albury.
My 6 months in AUS was almost entirely in Adelaide.

Yeah, Canadian winters require a different approach to training. Lots of treadmill and trainer time.

And yes.. Tudor Bompa is in Toronto. Will pick up his book this week maybe...
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks Corpus. So it doesn't sound like he advocates training a similar way year round, then.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “The Speed Zone”