Torn Meniscus ????

The grisly details and tales of the road back

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Torn Meniscus ????

Postby runcherylrun » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:50 am

Has anyone had to deal with this or know much about it???

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 am

More information:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/torn-meniscus/DS00932

I had this a few years ago after an injury playing drunken ball hockey with friends. Someone picked me up and twisted me around, and my body moved and my knee didn't. So this loud "pop" sound comes out of my right knee and I had pain and really felt I couldn't use it anymore. I had to get a knee brace, crutches and was on [url] anti-inflammatories for awhile. I went to physio and everything was better in 4 weeks. I had dumped the crutches after one day, the brace I only wore at work for a week, and I felt the RICE and the anti-inflammatories helped the most. I didn't need surgery.

I probably am prone to this injury, being a nurse, because we often are doing this twisting action without our feet moving, just as part of the job, moving patients, doing treatments on patients, on our feet 12 hours a day, etc.

Every once in awhile, if I turn and my knee stays still, I can feel discomfort in that knee still, but I just try to be careful. I haven't felt any discomfort there while running, I think because it's not a twisting motion for my knee, but I don't often run on trails, or where there would be a twisting, unstable footing, that would make my knee uncomfortable.

A nurse I work with had the surgery for this, arthroscopic surgery, and regrets it because she feels she has more problems with her knee now than before the surgery. My dad has had the surgery a couple of times now, and he says the same thing - that the surgery has made his knee feel worse and worse. He was a hockey player back in the 60s and 70s and the last knee injury knocked him out of professional hockey. He now wants to look at a knee replacement surgery.

I hope this helps. I have only had a small injury and recovered well with RICE and physio, but have seen the whole spectrum in others. [/url]
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Re: Torn Meniscus ????

Postby MINITEE » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:00 pm

runcherylrun wrote:Has anyone had to deal with this or know much about it???

:( :cry:

Oh Cheryl.. I am crossing everything hoping that you are asking this for someone else.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:38 pm

MINI-T wrote:

:( :cry:

Oh Cheryl.. I am crossing everything hoping that you are asking this for someone else.

Me too :oops:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

clocker
Bill Crothers

oh no!

Postby clocker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:43 pm

On one hand I hope this won't come to be the diagnosis. On the other I'm sure it would be good to know what the problem is exactly. You've got some good fight in you girl, so you'll get through this. I too have everything crossed in your favour.
Wish I knew something to help.
Ian

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Re: oh no!

Postby runcherylrun » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:43 pm

clocker wrote:On one hand I hope this won't come to be the diagnosis. On the other I'm sure it would be good to know what the problem is exactly. You've got some good fight in you girl, so you'll get through this. I too have everything crossed in your favour.
Wish I knew something to help.
Ian

:D :D You know me so well :wink:

But the knees been getting worse instead of better.

It's nigh on impossible to get into seeing someone right away - earliest is next week.

Thanks to the internet I've been doing a little more research so I'm not such a dummy when I see the DR. They throw around alot of big medical terms & I'm lost :oops: .

From what I've gathered, all the sypmtoms, signs, etc point towards a meniscus tear. Pain on the inside of the knee, swelling, knee locking up, popping/cracking noises, instability. - yep that's it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had it diagnosed & if so, what treatments they've had - surgergy ??

I also realize my age will play a big factor in treatment & recovery:

Your age and activity level will also determine whether surgery is a good option for you. In a young person, surgery to repair a tear may be the first choice because it has a greater chance of healing and restoring a more normal function to the knee. It is generally believed that there is a poorer potential for healing in older patients, but successful repair of tears in people older than age 50 has been reported.

However I'm aweful at overthinking/worrying before knowing the facts

I'm definately going to nail the Dr. down for a more specific diagnosis.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 pm

I know a runner who was over 65 when he had surgery to repair his. He took a year off running, and is back at wnning age group awards... Demand the surgery.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:14 pm

trixiee wrote:I know a runner who was over 65 when he had surgery to repair his. He took a year off running, and is back at wnning age group awards... Demand the surgery.

Thanks - that's sort of what
i was hoping to hear :wink:

bunsontherun
Bill Crothers

Postby bunsontherun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am

Cheryl, I have had arthroscopic surgery on both knees for tears in the meniscus. One tear was on the outside portion of my right knee and the other was for the inside of my left knee. The operations were conducted by two different doctors. The right knee was operated on in 2002 and after a short recovery period I was out running regularly and have had no issues with it. The left knee which was operated on in May 2008 however has been more difficult. I suppose being older for the second operation may be age related. Despite the surgery, I still had a lot of pain from constant inflammation of it in fact, I had another MRI about three weeks ago, and it showed that it is inflammed, that I have fluid on the knee, and of course, mild to moderate arthritis in it. My GP gave me a prescription for an oral anti-inflammatory called Diclofenac. I also have a cream made from the same drug for topical application.

Under Dr's instructions my running has been basically non-existant for the past year (other than the odd run for instance with Marg in Ottawa last fall) , however, I feel that the anti-inflammatory is making a bit of a difference. I was on the treadmill Sat and Sun and it felt great. My concern is whether I will need to keep renewing my prescription on a regular basis to continue running. Also concerning me are the stomach problems from anti-inflammatories being described by others in another thread in this forum.

Anyway Cheryl, all that above just to say for me, despite the setbacks with the left knee, the surgery was worth it and I would do it again if necessary.

Good luck on the decision that you make.
Professional Hugger.

Next Up: Other races!!!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:10 pm

One of my former training partners, had hers torn a few years back ... took a while to get an MRI, but she kept on running throughout, though with a lot of pain ... once it was finally determined, she got her surgery pretty quick .... she qualified for Boston with a torn miniscus in the Fall, had her surgery in March, following spring and ran Boston 6-7 weeks later ... :shock: :shock:

She has since requalified for Boston several times and completed her first IMUSA over the past two years, since ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

kimbyd
Tom Longboat

Postby kimbyd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Cheryl I know you've already had lots of responses to this.

I had a bucket handle tear in my meniscus. It would cause my knee to lock in a bent position if i moved in a certain way, or stubbed my toe etc. They tried to repair it with orthoscopic (sp?) surgery since the tear was so close to the blood flow. I ended up having my entire ACL replaced.

On the plus side that is now my strong knee! I only have to avoid plant a twist type movements, like soccer, basketball, alpine skiing etc. Running, swimming and cross country skiing are still on the table.

I never was a runner before the surgery. That started after, as part of my recovery.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”