Shin splints - rest or train through?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Andes
Johnny Miles

Shin splints - rest or train through?

Postby Andes » Wed May 20, 2009 11:45 am

So, I ran the Mississauga Half a week and a half ago and felt good during the race but have had shin splints since. :cry: My shins were a bit achy leading up to the race, but at the time it was pretty mild. Since then, the pain has been a lot sharper, particularly on stairs. I've been taking it easy since then - easy runs only; extra rest days - but it has not gotten better.

My question is - would taking a few extra rest days help, or should I just keep running and count on stretching & ice to make it better eventually? I can still run, but am not sure if doing so will make the situation worse (I've done that before with a different injury so don't want to repeat that mistake!). I am not training for anything in particular at the moment, so while I'm eager to get ramped up again I could take some time off if I thought that it would help me heal. Any advice would be appreciated!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed May 20, 2009 11:52 am

Take the rest.

Since you are not training for anything specifically, take the time to heal up, do some cross training that does not bother your shins and be ready to train for your next race.

Ignoring injuries does not usually work out very well.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed May 20, 2009 12:14 pm

eme wrote:Take the rest.

Since you are not training for anything specifically, take the time to heal up, do some cross training that does not bother your shins and be ready to train for your next race.

+1
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Marg wrote:

+1

+1 too.

But while taking the rest/recovery time try and figure out what caused it so it doesn't happen again. Shoes? Strength? Form? Treadmill to Road?
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Wed May 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I guess I knew rest was the smart approach but needed a little convincing.

Strider: I am not sure what is the root cause, but believe it cropped up when I started speedwork. I was training with the RR and I don't think we phased in the speedwork gradually enough for my body's liking - it was fun, but more impact than I'm used to. I also have bad feet, so while I think I am wearing the right shoes, my flat feet probably contribute to the issue.

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Strider wrote:
Marg wrote:

+1

+1 too.

But while taking the rest/recovery time try and figure out what caused it so it doesn't happen again. Shoes? Strength? Form? Treadmill to Road?

+3

i went through this in Feb and 2 weeks of no running did the trick for me, with no recurrences so far. If the lower mileage is not helping you then no running might be in order.

ananas
Johnny Miles

Postby ananas » Wed May 20, 2009 6:44 pm

In terms of shoes, even if you are in the right shoe, if it has started to wear out you may end up with shin splints because the shock absorbing ability of the materials starts to die, even if the upper is in great shape.

500-800km is the life of a shoe usually.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Wed May 20, 2009 7:40 pm

ananas wrote:In terms of shoes, even if you are in the right shoe, if it has started to wear out you may end up with shin splints because the shock absorbing ability of the materials starts to die, even if the upper is in great shape.

500-800km is the life of a shoe usually.

Also, as I am prone to shin splints, I find I have to replace shoes more often.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 20, 2009 10:14 pm

I had serious shin splint issues when I got to about week 7/8 of training for me first 10K. Shoes were definately the problem for me. I rested, had some active release therapy, iced (lots) and bought new shoes. They healed up fine.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Thu May 21, 2009 6:53 am

OK, I'm convinced - time for some new shoes! I did intend to get new ones after getting the half out of the way, so now I have a good reason to make sure it happens.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”