How to know when you're done.

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Beerslinger
Bill Crothers

How to know when you're done.

Postby Beerslinger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:19 pm

How do you know when you're done running and your body just won't do it anymore? I hurt my knee back at the bluenose/cabot trail in 2008, waited a year and a half to heal before I started running again. Started off slow, only got into it for just over 3 weeks, doing 10 runs, and now I'm having knee pain all over the place. I havn't ran in a week and then it seemed to come out of the blue. It's on the top of my knee, side of my knee, in my thigh, in my calf. Just seems to be popping all over the place, not one specific area, and I'm really starting to ask myself, is this it? I still have the heart to keep running, and the desire, but I'm afraid that my body is just saying no.
Too tired to get out training? Two words - Floppy Manboobs.

2008 - bmo Vancouver 1/2: 2:28:17 PB!!

Please support me in the ride to conquer cancer

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Re: How to know when you're done.

Postby drghfx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Have a doctor look at it. It may be something structural or it may just be an overuse injury from starting to ramp up the running again.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:30 pm

What medical/professional opinion have you gotten about this?

As for giving up, I would think there should be a way to get back to it, but very gradually. After so much time off, you have to essentially treat yourself like a beginner again (following something like a coach-to-5K program or LTR program). You don't say how quickly you tried to progress in three weeks, but is it possible you've tried to do too much too soon?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Beerslinger
Bill Crothers

Postby Beerslinger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Started off with 3k X 3 a week with 5/1's and was up to 3k/3k/5k at the end of almost 4 weeks, not 3 weeks like I said before.

Beerslinger
Bill Crothers

Postby Beerslinger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Should have mentioned that the pain comes when i'm sitting/lying down. I don't get much of anything when I'm up and walking around.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Beerslinger wrote:Should have mentioned that the pain comes when i'm sitting/lying down. I don't get much of anything when I'm up and walking around.

Is your little guy jumping on your legs when you feel the pain?
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Beerslinger wrote:Should have mentioned that the pain comes when i'm sitting/lying down. I don't get much of anything when I'm up and walking around.

My coach/physio said that if the pain lessens or goes away as you run (i.e., warm up), it's likely muscular in nature (as opposed to ligament, tendon, or cartilage).

Honestly, the only way to know for sure is to have it checked by a professional.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:05 pm

IMHO, I would think you just need an accurate diagnosis of the root cause of the problem so you can work on fixing it and getting back on the road! As suggested, you probably need to find a sports doc, physio or RMT to get you started down the right road. Don't give up yet!!!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”