Acupuncture?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

hed
Percy Williams

Acupuncture?

Postby hed » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Unfortunately have found myself on the injured list. Pushed too hard and my body finally went "whoa!"

The problem originated in my glutes - not activating them properly when running, so my back and hamstring had to take up the slack. It's since been a bit of a domino effect, with upper back pain, tighter than normal hips, and some random pain in my hamstring, calves, quads etc. I've been seeing a chiropractor for a couple months now, who has given me tons of exercises (strengthening and stretching) to do at home (and I do them religiously). I also see my RMT and practice yoga.

I think I am getting better - managed to run 8.5k on the weekend with a little tightness in certain spots, and a fairly pain free recovery after. But I still have extremely tight muscles. Friends have been suggested acupuncture - I'm thinking it might help for my neck/shoulders, and lower back in particular. Anyone have experience with it and running injuries?
Harry Spring Run Off
Yonge St. 10k
Midsummer Night's 15k
Longboat 10k
Zoo Run 10k
Run for the Toad
Scotia Half

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Acupuncture?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 pm

I think you have to make the distinction between traditional acupuncture and a modern practice like IMS.

In traditional acupuncture, for example, if one part of your body hurts they'll stick the needles in a different part of your body. With IMS, they're using the needles directly on the problem muscle, and it's based on physiology rather than spirituality. Not all acupuncturists do IMS... so you'd need to ask.

I had it for my hip problems and it was like a miracle cure. I only needed two treatments to get back up and running again, and I immediately felt the difference. Some people need more treatments.

If the problem is tight/seized muscles, I definitely recommend it to loosen them up.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 pm

ultraslacker wrote:In traditional acupuncture, for example, if one part of your body hurts they'll stick the needles in a different part of your body. With IMS, they're using the needles directly on the problem muscle, and it's based on physiology rather than spirituality. Not all acupuncturists do IMS... so you'd need to ask.

This is a bit of an over-simplification and is not actually correct about acupuncture.

Many modern acupuncturists target specific tissues and points which do relate to the injury site and it has nothing to do with belief or spirituality. My physiotherapist does acupuncture (not IMS) in coordination with her other therapies (manipulative techniques, ultrasound, laser, etc.).

IMS specifically targets the needles specifically into parts of the muscles to elicit a response in the muscle.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Hed-
To answer your original question, I did have acupuncture for an injury in my foot. It was from my physiotherapist who is also a licensed acupucnturist, and she did it in coordination with her other therapies. I can't say that it really did anything on its own, though.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:In traditional acupuncture, for example, if one part of your body hurts they'll stick the needles in a different part of your body. With IMS, they're using the needles directly on the problem muscle, and it's based on physiology rather than spirituality. Not all acupuncturists do IMS... so you'd need to ask.

This is a bit of an over-simplification and is not actually correct about acupuncture.

wikipedia wrote:Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) is based on a pre-scientific paradigm of medicine that developed over several thousand years and involves concepts that have no counterpart within contemporary medicine.[14] The anatomical system divides the body's organs into "hollow" and "solid" organs, for example, the intestines are "hollow", and the heart or liver are "solid". It is believed that solid organs are related, and hollow organs are related, and that there is a balance between the two "systems" of organs which is important to health. The zang systems are associated with the solid yin organs such as the liver, while the fu systems are associated with the hollow yang organs such as the intestines.[47] Health is explained as a state of balance between the yin and yang, with disease ascribed to either of these forces being unbalanced, blocked or stagnant.

TCM is based in part on the mysticism of Daoism, with a belief that all parts of the universe are interconnected.[10] Acupuncture points are located based on a belief that the body is related to the number of rivers flowing toward an ancient Chinese kingdom (believed to be exactly 12), and the number of days in the year (believed to be exactly 365).[12] "It is because of the twelve Primary channels that people live, that disease is formed, that people are treated and disease arises." [(Spiritual Axis, chapter 12)]. Channel theory reflects the limitations in the level of scientific development at the time of its formation, and therefore reflects the philosophical idealism and metaphysics of its period. That which has continuing clinical value needs to be reexamined through practice and research to determine its true nature.[48]

In contrast to the approach of evidence-based medicine which is based on the germ theory of disease, human anatomy and human physiology, Traditional Chinese Medicine attributes disease and pathology to perturbations in the metaphysical force known as qi (a word variously translated as "energy", "breath", or "vital energy"',[49] and imbalance of yin and yang, and the Wu Xing (known as the five phases or elements, earth, water, fire, wood and metal).[50] It is believed that through birth or early childhood, a “weakness” in one of the five elements develops until it impedes the flow of qi cycling throughout the body, causing the symptoms of illness. Acupuncture is described as manipulating the qi to restore balance.[50] TCM also links the organs of the body to the stars, planets and astrological beliefs to explain the phenomena of the persistence of health and illness in the human body.[51]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupuncture

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Acupuncture?

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:56 pm

That Wiki article describes acupuncture as it is used in Traditional Chinese medicine.

Here's a good link that I found that describes how acupuncture is used clinically today:

http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/acup ... views.html

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:15 pm

IMS isn't acupuncture. If IMS is close to anything, I would say it is closer to TP release therapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_point#Treatment

(see dry-needling... although it is a shame that IMS practitioners insist on talking about 'muscle shortening')

and because it is a pet topic of mine, the research around acupuncture (medical or otherwise) is underwhelming.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:26 pm

all I meant was that "acupuncture" can mean a whole lot of different things, depending on the practitioner. IMS uses acupuncture needles and is performed by an acupuncturist but is an entirely different thing from traditional acupuncture.

It helps to know what the different things are and what you want BEFORE you go in... I didn't.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:03 pm

ultraslacker wrote:It helps to know what the different things are and what you want BEFORE you go in... I didn't.

Did someone actually tell you that what you were going to have was acupuncture?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:It helps to know what the different things are and what you want BEFORE you go in... I didn't.

Did someone actually tell you that what you were going to have was acupuncture?

I said to my physio, "should I try acupuncture?" and he said, "yes, that's a good idea," so I booked an appointment with the acupuncturist in the same clinic. I think at one point during the treatment the acupuncturist made a distinction between what she was doing and traditional acupuncture, but she practices both anyway. She never actually called it acupuncture or IMS or anything else. She just did it, and I figured out the rest by reading online.

(not that that matters to the OP)

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I had IMS from my physio last year when my adductors (another flimsy useless muscle) took the brunt of the force from running, secondary to tight hip capsules. I never actually had to stop running but it took 2 treatments and manual therapy to get my hips functioning with a normal range of motion. Once the hips were good to go, I never had adductor issues again. To this day, I have to keep working them with lots of stretches and yoga but have been injury free since then (knock wood).

IMS or acupuncture: I think it comes down to having a health care professional that you can trust who will use the most appropriate course of treatment for your condition, taking into account your biomechanical and muscular inefficiencies/weaknesses. Most of the athletes that I know have had lots of success with IMS.
Carm

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 am

if you are interested in a review of the effectiveness, this article pointing to a systematic review of systematic reviews (which in itself says something about the effectiveness) was recently published on the Science Based Medicine Blog

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=11765

Acupuncture: Does it alleviate pain and are there serious risks? A review of reviews
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

hed
Percy Williams

Postby hed » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks for the input - and the extra information :P

I ended up making an appointment for yesterday. It was ok; not sure I really felt any different except really drained. Although, I suppose you'd need to have multiple sessions. I think I'd like to find someone who is also trained in sports injuries, though.
Harry Spring Run Off
Yonge St. 10k
Midsummer Night's 15k
Longboat 10k
Zoo Run 10k
Run for the Toad
Scotia Half

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm

I had some form of acupuncture last year - IMS or whatever. It worked wonders. It was from my naturoapath.

I had Morton's Neuroma and she put the needles all along the lower leg and foot. Had to get a lot of treatments because I was in some seriously bad shape, but it was the only thing that seemed to work - physio, stretching and rest just didn't cut it.

My only recommendation is to ensure you trust the person doing the treatment and there is conversation back and forth about what is/isn't working. The person should also be certified. There are unfortunately a few people in the town I work who do things like acupuncture, but are not certified in any way - likely learned out of a book.

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 pm

I have had Eastern and Western acupuncture and IMS. There was quite a difference between the three in my experience. For me, IMS was the most intense and it had the best results, then followed by Western Acupuncture (which she calls medical acupuncture). Eastern, or Chinese acupuncture focuses more on energy flow, ying and yang and more non-traditional ideas.

That's the way I understand it and that's my experience with the three.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”