Return to Running after Pleurisy & Partial Lung Collapse?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Return to Running after Pleurisy & Partial Lung Collapse?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for the update Kim. I'm glad you're getting such good care.

This is a major setback but thankfully one that you can and WILL recover from. Give your body the time it needs, but in the meantime remain strong and positive. We're all pulling for you. I know that when you are ready you'll be back running even better than before. ;)

p.s. I love that they call you, "The runner that couldn't run her marathon..."
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Jwolf wrote:Thanks for the update Kim. I'm glad you're getting such good care.

This is a major setback but thankfully one that you can and WILL recover from. Give your body the time it needs, but in the meantime remain strong and positive. We're all pulling for you. I know that when you are ready you'll be back running even better than before. ;)

p.s. I love that they call you, "The runner that couldn't run her marathon..."

Ditto all this.
Thinking of you!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Kim,

I think that Pierre Boulay in Embrun might be a good resource for you once you're able to get back to running. I will PM you his phone number...stay tuned.

Love that the nurses/docs know you're a runner. When I had my dog attack surgery I was greeted at the OR with..."awww...so you're our Boston Marathon runner"...my surgeon actually put into his post op consult report..."this nice lady can resume activity as tolerated...including her plan to run the Boston Marathon" :lol: :lol: Yep..I asked my doc for a hard copy of his report to include with other my running memorabilia :D :D

((((Kim)))
You're a tough cookie with lots of determination. You will get through this!!!!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks everyone. You are all so encouraging that it's difficult not to feel positive even though it is frustrating. It takes a village eh? Or a community like ours.

Jo-Jo - thanks so much regarding Pierre Boulay! I'm really looking forward to speaking with him. Wow! You are truly incredible Jo-Jo. Thank YOU!

:ymhug: all.
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Just saw this thread. Kim..I think you should get one of those jogging strollers and let dear hubby push you along on some of his 4 hour runs. Bonding, fresh air, close to the action, almost like doing it yourself...you know, all that stuff. And heal fast...a damaged, non-running, whining Kim is not a good thing for anyone!! :D
Hopefully, the news will keep getting better. You are a fighter but a smart one, too. I have total faith in you to push through this and get back out there when your body is ready.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Nick wrote:Just saw this thread. Kim..I think you should get one of those jogging strollers and let dear hubby push you along on some of his 4 hour runs. Bonding, fresh air, close to the action, almost like doing it yourself...you know, all that stuff. And heal fast...a damaged, non-running, whining Kim is not a good thing for anyone!! :D
Hopefully, the news will keep getting better. You are a fighter but a smart one, too. I have total faith in you to push through this and get back out there when your body is ready.

Oh my Nick! You know, I love the idea of hubby pushing me along.... that sounds brilliant! Seriously, me cheeks hurt from laughing. I much prefer laughing to whining. I'm not fond of whining so thanks for the kick in the butt - apparently, I needed it. Tehehe.... I'm still pretty bitter about missing the Wineglass marathon, but that too shall pass. Laughter.... I need more laughter.

Thank YOU. :lol:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm

MrsStrider wrote:Thanks everyone. You are all so encouraging that it's difficult not to feel positive even though it is frustrating. It takes a village eh? Or a community like ours.

You are most welcome. You are our sister. :wink: You just need to post about all the good stuff as you return to perfect health and excel through the winter. :D
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
MrsStrider wrote:Thanks everyone. You are all so encouraging that it's difficult not to feel positive even though it is frustrating. It takes a village eh? Or a community like ours.

You are most welcome. You are our sister. :wink: You just need to post about all the good stuff as you return to perfect health and excel through the winter. :D

Thanks Dave! It's terrific being so weirdly related to you. :lol: OBTW, David is totally pumped about you guys being there and support him for Sulphur. You guys rock. Give CCG a big hug too.

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Just discovered this threat. Sending you positive and healthy strong thoughts.

Like someone posted above, I had H1N1 and was sick for about six months with it. Rest your lungs, they need it!

Take good good good care of yourself.

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:45 am

Hi all,

Well, I received my results yesterday from the Oct. 31st bronchoscopy and I was quite shocked to say the least. While I still have lung pain and I picked up a nasty cough and cold, I am at least starting to get some energy back which is why the news was a bit unexpected.

Riddle: How does a very healthy, very active (runner) go from completing marathon training to being very sick for a very long time?
Answer: Go to the dentist

Yup, it's confirmed that all of this was caused by routine dental. :shock:

As part of the bronchoscopy, they take lung specimens and analyze them. I have an organism in my lung. Now here's the interesting part. It is an organism that is commonly found in the mouth, but if aspirated into the lung is very dangerous and can cause serious, long term health issues if left untreated. So, you say 'what is the treatment?' I am on penicillin 3 x per day for 6 weeks! 6 weeks! It was 6 weeks ago today that I ended up at the hospital 2 days before the wineglass marathon and 6 more weeks of antibiotics. I really wish I hadn't had my teeth cleaned. :(

I'm deeply grateful to my doctor who pushed to get me in to the respirologist quickly and to the respirologist who followed through with so many tests.

It's quite a lesson to me.... how quickly your life can change from something totally out of your control.

Anyway, thanks for all your support. I'm very frustrated over it all, but at least I have an answer and treatment.

Take care Maniacs.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:55 am

Wow! Well, maybe you have had a reflective moment out of this pain which will teach you what you need to know about your life.

Yes, of course, I'm always looking for meaning in my little life! :lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:56 am

That is insane Kim!

Yes, life can change for something that is out of your control and it sucks when it happens. :-(

I'm happy to read you're starting to feel better and I hope your health keeps improving now that you're getting the penicillin.

Hugs
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 am

Wow... I'm so scared to go for my cleaning at the end of the month now. :shock:
The upside is that at least you've finally nailed down exactly what is going on and are on the road to recovery.
Big hugs to you Kimmy xoxo
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:35 am

Marg wrote:Wow... I'm so scared to go for my cleaning at the end of the month now. :shock:
The upside is that at least you've finally nailed down exactly what is going on and are on the road to recovery.

Yeah me too!! I guess this is not very common?

What a bad luck! But it's so good that they found it and that you're not on the road to recovery!

All the best,
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 am

Dr. S wrote:
Marg wrote:Wow... I'm so scared to go for my cleaning at the end of the month now. :shock:

Yeah me too!! I guess this is not very common?

What a bad luck! But it's so good that they found it and that you're not on the road to recovery!

All the best,

Thanks Kelodie, Marg & Dr. S!

Yes, while it's scary, it is also very uncommon and for me a couple of factors that summed up to very bad luck. When I called the dentist and spoke to the hygienist, it all came back to me.

In July, I had an onlay (similar to a crown) on a molar. When I went in for my cleaning on Aug. 23rd, my allergies were really bad. They had made a note on the file that I was mouth breathing throughout. I had also told the hygienist that the onlay had a bumpy ridge that kept my tongue annoyed. :lol: So, the hygienist tried to smooth it out. I remember that she was not suctioning very well and my mouth kept filling up with water and I choked on it. It was likely at that point that I aspirated the bacterial organism in my lung. Get this, it was 5 weeks later that went went to the hospital, but I was gradually getting sick. I remember that I started to not feel well and attributed it to marathon training and started taking ColdFX. During the Army Run 1/2 training run, I struggled to breathe throughout and had a terrible pain in my lung starting around 10k which remained for days. Weird stuff.

Anyway, in general I wouldn't be too worried about going to the dentist - just be very careful with mouth breathing and ensure that they are suctioning really well. While, I have year round allergies,I think for me, I will avoid going to the dentist in August/Sept as those are the worst months for my allergies. Once bitten.....

Thank you ALL!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:58 am

:shock:
Wow...glad that the mystery has been solved but what a fluke!
Ro-Ro has severe allergies...and is scheduled for some major dental stuff in 2012....I think I'll let him know that he might consider not going in the height of allergy season...

And yes...I have dug out Pierre Boulay's phone number...now to get it together to send it to you :roll: :lol:

He may be helpful down the road as you get back to training.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 am

Do you take something for your allergies Kim? If you don't, it may be a good idea to take something a few days before your appointment so that you can breathe through your nose?

I still can't believe your bad luck. I just cant!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Wow! What a crazy fluke. Thankfully you now know what happened and it can be treated. Hope you are back to new in a few more weeks!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Glad to hear the mystery has been solved. Mind you, it was all in your head...so to speak. The big question is: does that help you get back to running any sooner???
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:34 pm

She is starting the return to running tomorrow.

5min walk + 10min(1min run/1min walk) + 5 min walk

After that we will she if she can handle day 2 ;) Can't keep a good woman down.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Kim, I was thinking about you while I was at the dentist on Thursday, wondering HOW can something like this happen?? I'm glad to hear that the "mystery" of how you got it has been solved - though as Nick said, that doesn't really do much to help your training :? - but also that it was a series of events that led up to it, not "just" having your teeth cleaned. But it's also a good reminder that if things don't feel right (as you described in the Army 1/2 training run) that we should get them checked out and not attribute all pain/illness to "marathon training."

Wishing you a speedy (and successful) return to running!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:14 pm

A few proactive doctors and dentists try to prevent something like this (and related illnesses) by prescribing antibiotics ahead of time to dental procedures with patients that might be more susceptible to infections. My mother, father and I all have to take antibiotics prior to any dental procedure because of a few chronic illness we have. Common problems that require a little extra care are some heart arrhythmias, lung ailments, immune dysfunctions, problems under anaesthetic, taking medications that make people more susceptible to infections might want to look into talking to your doctor/dentist about risks of infection vs taking preventative antibiotics.

My advice is to take it easy the first month back running. I thought I was going to pass out my first 'easy' runs after recovering from my last bout of pneumonia. If anyone is going to seriously kick some ass after this, I KNOW Mrs. Strider will though.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Trail Child wrote:A few proactive doctors and dentists try to prevent something like this (and related illnesses) by prescribing antibiotics ahead of time to dental procedures with patients that might be more susceptible to infections. My mother, father and I all have to take antibiotics prior to any dental procedure because of a few chronic illness we have. Common problems that require a little extra care are some heart arrhythmias, lung ailments, immune dysfunctions, problems under anaesthetic, taking medications that make people more susceptible to infections might want to look into talking to your doctor/dentist about risks of infection vs taking preventative antibiotics.

I've heard this before. How far in advance of the procedure would you take them?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Wow Kim! That's just crazy! But I'm glad you've gotten to the bottom of the mystery!

I hope your first run back goes well! Don't over do it!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Good luck on your first run tomorrow - easy does it! As someone who is coming back from almost a year of not running...it does come back!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”