Metatarsalgia

The grisly details and tales of the road back

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Metatarsalgia

Postby fingerboy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 am

Anyone had/have this? It's basically pain in the ball of my foot, bottom side. Seems like it could be inflammed rather than a stress fracture.

Anyone try something like thicker socks or insoles? any improvements?

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Metatarsalgia

Postby eme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am

fingerboy wrote:Anyone had/have this? It's basically pain in the ball of my foot, bottom side. Seems like it could be inflammed rather than a stress fracture.

Anyone try something like thicker socks or insoles? any improvements?

I had something like this in my big toe joint. It turned out that I needed a wee bit more support in that shoe - I had my phsyio add a bit more arch to my insole.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 am

That sorta/kinda resembles the symptoms that my funky foot have been experiencing the past several weeks ... :? think my arch collapsed a bit, according to my RMT ... been stretching and using the stick on my calf/gastrocs/soleus like a dickens and been heading back to the Club for some lower body resistance workouts, along with calf raises, etc ... that and applying KT tape on my foot before every run ... it seems to take about 2-3K to warm up, then the foot settles in .... :?

You could always get a met pad and put it in place ?? Though, best to seek the opinion of a professional first ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Andy that pad is what I was thinking of - I might get one and try it out - Shoppers? RR?

It's definitely been developing over the past few weeks - guess the mara did it in.

I found this on RWOL and it really matches the description

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7 ... -0,00.html

If the weight distribution across the foot is uneven when it hits the road (because of your foot's mechanics, a tight Achilles tendon, or calluses), the metatarsals can become irritated and inflamed, resulting in metatarsalgia, according to John Cianca, M.D., associate professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

If you develop metatarsalgia, you'll feel a burning, stabbing, or aching pain at the "head" of the bone, just beneath the toes. It usually affects the second toe, and often the third or fourth. "People complain that it feels like there's a stone in their shoe," says Dr. Cianca. It's worse when you stand, walk, or run, and better when you take a load off (especially if you're at all overweight). It's an equal-opportunity injury, affecting the flat-footed, the high-arched, and all soles in between. Symptoms can occur suddenly: after running barefoot on the beach, walking on a hard tile floor, or sprinting on pavement in worn-out shoes. But it usually builds over a few months.

I would say it does feel like I'm stepping on a stone right there. And it gets worse w running. Last night I had to quit after 7k. It was pretty light until 5k, then it started to get to me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

fingerboy wrote:Andy that pad is what I was thinking of - I might get one and try it out - Shoppers? RR?

It's definitely been developing over the past few weeks - guess the mara did it in.

I found this on RWOL and it really matches the description

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7 ... -0,00.html

If the weight distribution across the foot is uneven when it hits the road (because of your foot's mechanics, a tight Achilles tendon, or calluses), the metatarsals can become irritated and inflamed, resulting in metatarsalgia, according to John Cianca, M.D., associate professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

If you develop metatarsalgia, you'll feel a burning, stabbing, or aching pain at the "head" of the bone, just beneath the toes. It usually affects the second toe, and often the third or fourth. "People complain that it feels like there's a stone in their shoe," says Dr. Cianca. It's worse when you stand, walk, or run, and better when you take a load off (especially if you're at all overweight). It's an equal-opportunity injury, affecting the flat-footed, the high-arched, and all soles in between. Symptoms can occur suddenly: after running barefoot on the beach, walking on a hard tile floor, or sprinting on pavement in worn-out shoes. But it usually builds over a few months.

I would say it does feel like I'm stepping on a stone right there. And it gets worse w running. Last night I had to quit after 7k. It was pretty light until 5k, then it started to get to me.

Or, you could just slow down, and run like us mere mortals ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Sounds a bit like what I was experiencing off-and-on for months--the burning feeling was like there was acid on the bottom of my forefoot. I also had problems with numbness in my toes after about 20 minutes of running. Problems were fixed with new and different shoes. What a relief!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:06 pm

I had a mild case of that crop up about a month ago, and got in to see my ART guy right away. He was able to get things sorted out pretty quickly. One thing I've been doing a lot (on his recommendation) is roll a foam ball on my arch while I sit at my desk at work. Seems to help too.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 am

This went away on its own while I've been off for 4 weeks for various other things. But I have changed my shoes.

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, I think that I am having this problem too...
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Chris, I read your Boston post and saw where you foot hurts after some distance.

I've found metatarsal pads to be hugely painful after awhile. Maybe check your insoles and see if they are molded in. A flat fore foot could help.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 am

I had this 2 years ago. I took 3 full weeks off and then it took a bit of building up running grass (5 min runs, to 10 min runs etc) for about a month after. It sucked. And I could only run every couple of days because it would start hurting again if I ran 2 days in a row.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:40 am

Sounds like sesamoiditis. Many people don't realize that we have what amounts to a mini patella under the ball of our foot and it's pretty easy to irritate it.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm

I've been having similar pain on my right foot. Between the second and third toes just at the base of the toes.

I need new running shoes anyway, but even those don't seem to help much (with orthotics).

I've been resting and icing (with the exception of my weight lifting) for a week or so with very little relief.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”