weird knee pain...

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

weird knee pain...

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

My first rule about injuries and health related items and the internet is.....if I'm going to ask for advice from the interweb - I should see a health professional. I have an appointment booked for tomorrow morning.

Since shortly before, or, maybe shortly after (?) my half marathon at Disney (January 12), my left knee (which usually has ITB issues) has been wonky.

The front feels bruised. It feels weak and sometimes like it's going to give out when I'm on stairs.

I get a stabbing pain towards the top when I go up stairs, and, I weird pain inside when I go down stairs.

thoughts?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: weird knee pain...

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Sounds a little like what Jogger Barbie had in the spring -- (I don't know how to search posts, but you might want to go back and see what she was describing).... hope it's nothing serious, and that you can get back out there real soon!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Sounds a little like what Jogger Barbie had in the spring -- (I don't know how to search posts, but you might want to go back and see what she was describing).... hope it's nothing serious, and that you can get back out there real soon!

yup. I just searched "knee" and "Jogger Barbie" and it seems to be exactly the same.

Thankfully, I haven't been running, so, it should be healing. I'm seeing an RMT tomorrow and will suggest PFS....

I am still doing crossfit - I think the squats are doing more good than harm - since they are strengthening.....
i run for me.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Maybe your stride was altered at goofy b/c of the foot pain?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

jes wrote:Maybe your stride was altered at goofy b/c of the foot pain?

you mean Donald. ;) I'm not goofy! ;)

that's a very good possibility.

Foot was fine - toe was a killer. :P
i run for me.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Irongirl wrote:

Your toe is on your foot :P

You can be Donald all you want :lol:

I can't do squats properly without a lot of focus. My knees collapse inwards (nothing drastic, but they do) when I don't pay attention to form.

What did the Doctor say?
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 pm

RMT worked on it, suggested that I do some stretching. agreed that the weather is crappy and I shouldn't run on it until Tuesday. :)

I did a lot of squats at CrossFit yesterday - my knees stay pretty far out, so, I'm not too worried about form during squats. I walked down some stairs pain free today, but, will need to keep strengthening and stretching! :)
i run for me.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Irongirl wrote:RMT worked on it, suggested that I do some stretching. agreed that the weather is crappy and I shouldn't run on it until Tuesday. :)

I did a lot of squats at CrossFit yesterday - my knees stay pretty far out, so, I'm not too worried about form during squats. I walked down some stairs pain free today, but, will need to keep strengthening and stretching! :)

That's right, you saw an RMT!

I'm glad you are feeling better today!

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
Irongirl wrote:RMT worked on it, suggested that I do some stretching. agreed that the weather is crappy and I shouldn't run on it until Tuesday. :)

I should note that I wiped out on my driveway today and fell directly on my knee - so, I can't say that I haven't bruised it now. :P
i run for me.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:

I should note that I wiped out on my driveway today and fell directly on my knee - so, I can't say that I haven't bruised it now. :P

You're kidding me?

:naughty:

Heal up buttercup!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Irongirl wrote:

whatever, you know what I meant.

toe is connected to the foot is connected to the .... knee.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 am

+1

I had something similar a good chunk of last year (though my pain was below the knee) and in the end some rest, strengthening my glutes, and lots of stretching is what I needed. It's great that you're taking care of it right away though. I pushed through all spring (it felt ok while I was running, it just hurt the rest of the time) and it took forever to get back to normal.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 am

thanks.

I'm rolling a little ball around my knee/quads today - as per my RMT's suggestion.

I got a little preview of tonight's CF workout and it include walking lunges - so, I tried one of them and yeeeouch!

I'll have to modify with squats or something. I'm wondering if I should e-mail the coach as a heads up...
i run for me.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 am

Irongirl wrote:thanks.

I'm rolling a little ball around my knee/quads today - as per my RMT's suggestion.

I got a little preview of tonight's CF workout and it include walking lunges - so, I tried one of them and yeeeouch!

I'll have to modify with squats or something. I'm wondering if I should e-mail the coach as a heads up...

Email the coach - maybe the coach will have suggestions on a modified workout.

runner40k

Postby runner40k » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 pm

I had this, I wrapped it for support while walking, massaged the area around it for bloodflow.
After a week of nursing I began light running again(but on grass, NO pavement.)
I was 99% better after a few weeks.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am

runner40k wrote:I had this, I wrapped it for support while walking, massaged the area around it for bloodflow.
After a week of nursing I began light running again(but on grass, NO pavement.)
I was 99% better after a few weeks.

did it hurt while walking?
i run for me.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 am

Any update, Irongirl?
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 am

Jogger Barbie wrote:Any update, Irongirl?

Considering that she started her Half Marathon Clinic Instructor gig this week, so I would assume that she is ok :what: :what: :think: :think: :think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 pm

not necessarily. ;)

It's okay - I still feel it.

I have a chiro/ART session on Friday.

I have considered a knee brace (the soft kind) - but, I'm going to wait and ask my chiro guy - I'm scared to get dependent on it.

It's literally just when it is required to "track" - doesn't hurt on the run, just on stairs, lunges, and little hops (if that makes sense).....
i run for me.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Irongirl wrote:It's literally just when it is required to "track" - doesn't hurt on the run, just on stairs, lunges, and little hops (if that makes sense).....

FWIW, my PFS started the same way. Although I think the progression was faster. I noticed pain going down the stairs but was fine doing everything else. A couple of days later I went for a 15 km run, and about 2 or 3 km from the end was feeling the same pain as on the stairs. And then it faded into the background when I wasn't running, but was awful when I tried to run again.

So, yeah, "not necessarily"...:(
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
Irongirl wrote:It's literally just when it is required to "track" - doesn't hurt on the run, just on stairs, lunges, and little hops (if that makes sense).....

FWIW, my PFS started the same way. Although I think the progression was faster. I noticed pain going down the stairs but was fine doing everything else. A couple of days later I went for a 15 km run, and about 2 or 3 km from the end was feeling the same pain as on the stairs. And then it faded into the background when I wasn't running, but was awful when I tried to run again.

So, yeah, "not necessarily"...:(

thanks. :P

I'm hoping my chiro/ART guy will have lots of good things to tell me tomorrow. :)
i run for me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Irongirl wrote:not necessarily. ;)

It's okay - I still feel it.

I have a chiro/ART session on Friday.

I have considered a knee brace (the soft kind) - but, I'm going to wait and ask my chiro guy - I'm scared to get dependent on it.

It's literally just when it is required to "track" - doesn't hurt on the run, just on stairs, lunges, and little hops (if that makes sense).....

Wonder what the Clinic Instructor was say/respond to a participant, in a similar situation ??? :shifty: :wink: :lol: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm hoping so on your behalf :)
Jacqueline
--------------

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I would tell someone to get it checked out and to listen to their body - which is exactly what I'm doing. :)
i run for me.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”