Sport Doc ITBS or Menicus

The grisly details and tales of the road back

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Sport Doc ITBS or Menicus

Postby ngcaper » Thu May 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Well I seen the sports doc today...it was a maybe this maybe that type of visit. He had two diagnosis, either the ITBS that I'd self diagnosed a while back or a torn menicus due to popping/cracking when bending my knee a certain way. I'm more skeptical of the torn menicus as it's done that for 10yrs now. I also haven't had any swelling, nor does it get worse after its inflamed, it actually gets better when I walk. I've been assigned physio to strengthen the abductors and stretch the IT Band which frankly was what I was doing and keep stopping...so I'm probably 100% to blame myself.

Interesting diagnosis though...one needs surgery (not going to happen) the other stretching :)
Anyone here get advice to strengthen abductors before and what exercise worked best? I'll probably go back to this http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Re: Sport Doc ITBS or Menicus

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu May 30, 2013 3:24 pm

For me, doing squats properly (breaking parallel and making sure not to collapse my knees) have made a big difference.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:For me, doing squats properly (breaking parallel and making sure not to collapse my knees) have made a big difference.

Do you do this weight bearing, aka free weights, or started without?

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm

I had a nasty case (my 1st and hopefully last) of ITBS last summer. It sidelined me for 2 months and seemed, at the time, to come out of nowhere. The pain on the outside of my knee was initially so severe, I was convinced I had torn my miniscus. Thankfully, a visit to my family doc quickly ruled out that possibility. He moved my knee around and somehow knew the meniscus was fine - phew.

My rehab was fairly straight-forward. I went for some ART sessions which helped a bit; did lots of icing and just gave my leg the rest it needed. That meant no running, but lots of power walking, until it was healed. It took nearly 8 weeks for me to be able to run 3 continuous miles but once it was fully healed, I was fine.

I also did lots of hip/glute work: single leg dead-lifts w/ a kettle-bell, holding the bridge pose, butt-lifts (for lack of a better word) while lying on my back/squeezing glutes, very controlled side and backwards leg swings w/ a resistance band while squeezing glutes and "air" squats (body weight squats). I remember my chiro saying the clam shell wasn't an effective exercise but I can't remember why!

A ITBS study was published in the Globe and Mail (I think by Alex Hutchison) around the time of my injury. It suggested that ITBS isn't caused by a tight IT band but by weak hip and glute muscles. It concluded that stetching and rolling wouldn't offer much help but strengthening the weak links (hips/glutes) would.

Hope this helps!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu May 30, 2013 7:23 pm

ngcaper wrote:
DonnaRigs wrote:For me, doing squats properly (breaking parallel and making sure not to collapse my knees) have made a big difference.

Do you do this weight bearing, aka free weights, or started without?

Started body weight, then moved into barbells with back, front squat and deadlift. I had a trainer watch my form since I am VERY concerned regarding injuring myself.

Seems to have worked, certainly keeps my knees from collapsing inward, even when tired.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 am

So far so good...I've only ran 3X since Sulphur and have focused on strengthening the hip flexors, and ridding the shin splint. My first run last week a 10k on Tuesday wasn't bad, but legs felt tight. I did another 10k the next day and the shin splint started again, and but the knee felt OK, but just OK.

Took Thur-Sat off, and ran yesterday off Old Quary trail into Lime Kiln for just under 22k round trip and all felt fine. My hips and butt were tight from all the resistance training the past 2 weeks, but no knee, or shin pain.

Could it be the shin splint/ITBS flare up was only a result of me sitting/standing/sitting/sitting for so long leading up to the race? If so it starting at 41k seems a little strange, you'd think it would start earlier.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:24 am

It is definitely linked to weak glute (specifically med and min at the top of your butt) as opposed to ITBand issues. Everything listed exercise wise has been spot on, I would add a couple of more glute activated items to that as well. http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMedius.html

Glute press back (can be done weighted-cable machine, or body weight) watch form, keeping your body upright and think about squeezing that upper butt area when you are pressing back. http://www.fitlink.com/exercise?type=bo ... lute+press

Clamshells - do these with your back against the wall, it helps to keep your hips "stacked". Add a resistance band tied above your knees once the regular ones get easy.

Hip Bridges - focus on the squeeze, or as I tell my clients "hang on to that dime for dear life"

Single Leg squats/pistol squats/ANY SQUATS! - again, focus on keeping those knees from wobbling and keep them from extending past your toes. As you get comfortable, add weight, go deeper.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Geez you folks are helpful...great list Minitee and boy I appreciate the help. I have been lucky in that my flareups are usually short term. When I read of others having months between injury and recovery I've been LUCKY!!!

One other que we have a Bosu Ball in the gym at work would this help as well or am I just adding more to the mix than necessary?

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”