Frustrating few weeks...

The grisly details and tales of the road back

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Frustrating few weeks...

Postby ngcaper » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:49 pm

As the subject says it's been frustrating. I haven't been posting, just mumbling to myself. A few weeks back I had a bad last few km with Strider on a 47k run with a shin splint and ITBS. I fortunately had an appointment with the solefit guys 2 days later. I'm apparently a slight pronator tolerance is 6-10% I'm 11%, and only in my right side. This makes sense as it's always my right side that's hurt. On solefits advice I scheduled a sports massage the very next day, damn that hurts.

My schedule after that was take 4 days off, little running that weekend as well, a couple of 10k, and the next week a run a week of 15-20k from Mon-Thurs. Take Fri-Mon off and plan on a big run of 48k last Tuesday. I hit the 23k mark and just had a bad feeling so I turned around (out and back), near 30k the shin splint was unbearable again. I short cutted and walked 10k back to the car, it was freakin hot that day for walking.

So since last Tuesday the 20th I have not ran a step...I drank lots of beer, ate too much food, stretched/rolled/iced/moist heat and verbally abused my shin. Its feeling better, I can now touch/bend/rotate my ankle without it hurting, but not feeling strong. With my first 50mile race a week from Saturday I'm getting anxious and nervous. Not really sure what to do besides rest and continue what I'm doing, but not running for nearly 3wks before a 50miler...it doesn't sound wise to me.

This is more a soul bearing exercise, unless you have a miracle cure. So my goal times are expanding out daily...it'll be a just finish by the time I arrive.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Nicholas
Site Admin

Re: Frustrating few weeks...

Postby Nicholas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Thought it had been quiet around here.....Are you sure it is shin splints? I think if it were compartment syndrome, you would feel it way earlier in the run but maybe not. Also, you'd be getting pins & needles which does not seem to be the case. Maybe you just need to be more patient in building back the mileage. Have you been doing any strengthening of the muscles in the area? This would be like hooking a Theraband or old bicycle tube around a tree, post or furniture leg and the other end around the top of your foot as you sit on the floor. You then pull back the top of the foot against the band's resistance.
If you have shin splint and ITB issues, then this might be more complicated but you still need to find the root cause of what is going on. Those last few K of your long run with Strider may have just been the tipping point for whatever the root cause is. If you are pronating more on your right side, can they correct that with an orthotic or maybe some specific strengthening exercises?
Just some thoughts.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for the great comments Nick. Patience is tough with 10day to go, but I hear ya...
Your comment about compartment syndrome got me thinking, first I didn't know what compartment syndrome was so I had to look it up, and I never have had shin splints in the past, only those two runs, so I started to think what was different. I was wearing a new pair of calf sleeves on both of those runs, and I'd say the sorest area was where the calf sleeve met my ankle. I had an older pair I found too tight, so bought large, perhaps I'm not meant for calf sleeves...or I'm just hopeful it's that and not a "real" problem. Either way I'll skip them next time.

I have been using the Theraband, mostly for hip strength as it helps the ITBS, I've not used it for ankle/anterior shin strengthening which will now be a new use. I hadn't thought of an old bike tube...I find the Therabands are not the strongest material but I bet a bike tube would be.

I did get an over the counter orthodic from Solefit, the Orange Superfeet. I'm trying my best to get used to it, but can't say I'm loving it by no means. I was also recommended to use a mild stability shoe, so I'm picking up a pair of the NB Leadville this week. Onward and upward, even if it's slow.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:20 pm

ngcaper wrote:Your comment about compartment syndrome got me thinking, first I didn't know what compartment syndrome was so I had to look it up, and I never have had shin splints in the past, only those two runs, so I started to think what was different. I was wearing a new pair of calf sleeves on both of those runs, and I'd say the sorest area was where the calf sleeve met my ankle. I had an older pair I found too tight, so bought large, perhaps I'm not meant for calf sleeves...or I'm just hopeful it's that and not a "real" problem. Either way I'll skip them next time.

I'm not (yet) an ultra runner, but Nick might have a point. Not sure why everyone jumps on the "calf sleeve" compression bandwagon, but going without might help. Though you may not notice a difference in just one run.

The other thing is that 47K is a REALLY REALLY LONG RUN! Keep that in perspective! I don't think it's possible to run that far (and do all the mileage ultra-runners have to do) and not be in some kind of pain most of the time.

At this point, racing your event will be more about pain tolerance than anything else. Are you OK with just "completing" the race, or does your performance matter to you? Do you have hopes/plans of doing another ultra in the future? The answers to those questions will affect how you approach it, as well as what you do between now and race day.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Sad to read what is going on with you -- no great advice to share unfortunately -- when I have suffered from shin splints it was because I had switched from trail surface to road surface within the same run, and not changed the shoes..... it was my first trail run, did 15 km or so, and then went straight to road for another 20 km+ -- then a big OWIE that evening -- had to take a week off running, and let everything heal!!

Also, I have NEVER used calf sleeves, and as you know, I have run fairly long runs! :D

Adjust your goals, be prepared to do some walking, and enjoy race day -- you will likely not be the only one walking -- I walked most of the last 40 km of my 100 miler, and still had a BLAST!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm

La wrote: I don't think it's possible to run that far (and do all the mileage ultra-runners have to do) and not be in some kind of pain most of the time.

true dat. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:35 pm

It definitely sounds like the calf sleeves are doing more harm than good. You shouldn't feel constriction around the ankle like that.

Not an ultra runner either,but I have found that compression calf sleeves don't help and just make things worse. They seem to prevent my calves from relaxing normally and cause more issues with tightness. I think it's better to let the muscles and tendons and everything else to adjust and adapt as naturally as possible-- but you can't force it.

Good luck with getting the miles done.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words of advice and encouragement. I'm going from it'll be OK to frustrated on an hourly basis...but c'est la vie if this is all I can complain about I have things pretty good.

I am going without the sleeves, I actually took them completely off my list of "to pack" items today so I don't get tempted. The scary part is after the 47k everything else felt fine...not an ache or pain the next day only the shin splint. It kinda freaked me out as I was expecting to be much more sore...I know after the 50k at Sulphur I was.

To answer LA's question...do I have a time goal? I do, actually I have a few of them for different scenarios of hot/cold/rainy or just not a good day, but ultimately I'd like to come in under a certain time, anything else is gravy. Will I quit if I don't get it, nope not a chance, I told my wife unless a bone is protruding don't let me stop after the 2nd lap (3X 26.77km laps), and thankfully unlike orleansrunner all on trails.

I believe I'm going with Jwolf on the calf sleeves...its something I want to work, they do feel good when on, but I can't say I get any benefit, and perhaps its detrimental to my health. So the the back of the drawer they go.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:08 pm

ngcaper wrote:I did get an over the counter orthodic from Solefit, the Orange Superfeet. I'm trying my best to get used to it, but can't say I'm loving it by no means.

How long was your first run with the over the counter orthodic? Just like a designed orthodic you don't just put it in and run 30k. You have to let your body adjust to the new positioning over a week or three. I would expect the potential to be sore, if you went out with a new orthodic and ran a lot of distance, to be pretty high.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:19 pm

ngcaper wrote:I believe I'm going with Jwolf on the calf sleeves...its something I want to work, they do feel good when on, but I can't say I get any benefit, and perhaps its detrimental to my health. So the the back of the drawer they go.

Save them for post-run recovery! They'll feel really good after a long run or race.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 pm

La wrote:
ngcaper wrote:I believe I'm going with Jwolf on the calf sleeves...its something I want to work, they do feel good when on, but I can't say I get any benefit, and perhaps its detrimental to my health. So the the back of the drawer they go.

Save them for post-run recovery! They'll feel really good after a long run or race.

That is what I had heard but admit I have never used them....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Nick wrote:
La wrote:

That is what I had heard but admit I have never used them....

They're especially great if you have to travel soon after your race, whether by plane or long drive.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Great advice, I will be now condemning them to the recovery bin, along with muscle milk and ice baths and what I can only say are disgusting tasting bar, cliff protein bars. :0

Actually per flight or long drive compression socks, although typically not sports focused ones, are very good and highly suggested. I used my sports focused as I don't have any others (sugoi) on any flight longer than 1.5hr as the pressure change (in a flight it's as though you're at 8000' elevation) and sitting still for so long pools blood in your calves, the socks help promote blood flow....so I'm told.

drghfx asked how long was my first run with the superfeet. I did 2 10ks then jumped to the 4 days of 20k then onto the 40k I walked out of, but I can't honestly say I wore them each run. I did get the advice from solefit (who btw were excellent..actually way better than I hoped)to wear them daily for maybe 2wks due to expected soreness...I'm just impatient I guess.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:19 pm

How about a race report since you finished the 50-miler and did a pretty good job with it????
Nicholas

Events in 2018

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 am

Nick wrote:How about a race report since you finished the 50-miler and did a pretty good job with it????

Glad to see this. I was wondering how it went. Hope to see a race report too.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:52 am

Just had a little vacation in the way preventing me from posting. Thanks for thinking of me and asking. Back to work today and wrote out a long blathering RR which I just posted at: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47619

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”