Runners Knee - How Did Recover?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Runners Knee - How Did Recover?

Postby richie-rich » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Seems I have developed runners knee over the past month. Just wondering how you guys were able to recover? What helped? Anyone able to keep running while treating this or is total rest the only way? Not quite sure what to do

I ran an easy 6k for the first time in over a week. I could feel the tightness in the back of the kneecap after about 5 minutes. It wasn't what I would call painful, but i could feel it. I stretched (hamstrings, groin, hip flexors, calf), did some core work (planks and other exercise ball stuff) and iced the knee after the run.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Runners Knee - How Did Recover?

Postby Irongirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 pm

can you define "runners knee"?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Irongirl wrote:can you define "runners knee"?

chondromalacia: inflammation of the cartilage under the kneecap

I had a mild version of this in the summer of 2012. I found that I could run on it so long as it wasn't too often (i.e., seldom on consecutive days), too far (it usually was fine for the first half hour or so), or too fast (i.e., easy pace but no speedwork). In other words, I could run but not "train". Trails were better than hard surfaces. After a few months, it went away. A friend of mine has a more serious case of this and has had some success with a velcro strap wrapped fairly tightly around the bottom of the kneecap. This approximates a bigger knee brace that he had previously used for the condition.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:26 pm

ian wrote:
Irongirl wrote:can you define "runners knee"?

chondromalacia: inflammation of the cartilage under the kneecap

I had a mild version of this in the summer of 2012. I found that I could run on it so long as it wasn't too often (i.e., seldom on consecutive days), too far (it usually was fine for the first half hour or so), or too fast (i.e., easy pace but no speedwork). In other words, I could run but not "train". Trails were better than hard surfaces. After a few months, it went away. A friend of mine has a more serious case of this and has had some success with a velcro strap wrapped fairly tightly around the bottom of the kneecap. This approximates a bigger knee brace that he had previously used for the condition.

ah, also known as pattelofemoral syndrome! :)

I have that right now as well. I can also run through it.....but, likewise, I wouldn't want to do hills/speed work.

stairs are also trouble.

rest/ice/strengthening my quads/hamstrings is helping.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:56 pm

iced the knee again for about 15 minutes this morning. will stretch again this afternoon. but surprisingly the knee feels good today after the short run yesterday. don't really feel it when going down stairs whereas last week i really noticed it on the stairs. will try another short run tomorrow and see.

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm

I've struggled with the same knee issue for about a year. Some athletic therapy visits and a small brace called the Patellavator have helped a lot.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”