What now?

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:08 am

CinC wrote:good job Sammy! Glad for you!

Another suggestion - and you can do with it as you wish - when I did my first ever LTR, this is the way we built up - which would feel like you're going backwards first, but it's another way to build:

wk 1 - 5:1 x 4
wk 2 - 6:1 x 4
wk 3 - 7:1 x 4
and keep building until you get to the 10:1x4....

it might be longer than you're wanting, but it's another way to increase you running with still keeping your 10:1's (which I still do all the time!)

keep at er girl.

What a great idea! I'll remember it for when I need it.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 am

Samantha wrote:
CinC wrote:good job Sammy! Glad for you!

Another suggestion - and you can do with it as you wish - when I did my first ever LTR, this is the way we built up - which would feel like you're going backwards first, but it's another way to build:

wk 1 - 5:1 x 4
wk 2 - 6:1 x 4
wk 3 - 7:1 x 4
and keep building until you get to the 10:1x4....

it might be longer than you're wanting, but it's another way to increase you running with still keeping your 10:1's (which I still do all the time!)

keep at er girl.

hmm I kind of like this suggestion (which I know is similiar to what people suggested but I like the structure of this one and I like staying at 10:1). 5 minutes will feel like a breeze! And at the end of that I'd be at a 5 K (yeah I know) - or erm.... close to it. :oops:

I don't really think it's going backwards. I'm still running 20 mins - just in different chunks.

Thanks Carla! I really like this one. I think I like that each set is the same amount of time. Don't ask me why. :D

no prob - it's just another way of breaking up the time - and when i've taken 'breaks' from running, this is how I would build myself back into it....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 am

Samantha wrote:Thanks everyone.

Some points:

-no desire to "race" - ever.
-happy with keeping 10:1's - not caring if I run 30 mins straight or whatever.
-I will probably increase my distance as it happens but not really planning to run - say - a 5K by a certain date. Obviously as I keep adding intervals that will increase.

I'm thinking the best for me right now is to add another interval to the end consisting of less than 10 mins and see how it goes. And keep uping the time as I go along.

I'm going to wait a bit tho. I'm handling my groove of 5 am runs pretty well/and the length of time etc etc and don't want to mess the equilibrium too much right now. And the fear of fatigue is always at the back of my mind. :roll:

Carla's suggestion with the objective to be going through an entire program of TV using a combo of run / walk :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 am

So coincidentally I was reading an issue of Canadian Running magazine (an older issue that I hadn't gotten around to yet) and there was an article written by John Stanton about what to do when you've finished the LTR and need to add more time to your runs.

:lol:

I'll post the details later in case anyone wants them.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 am

Samantha wrote:I'll post the details later in case anyone wants them.

Yes please!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Return to “The Scenic Route”