Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby killerbeetle » Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 am

Interesting! My feet stayed the same size. Although... I used to love Adidas shoes and hate Nike and Asics, and now I love everything BUT Adidas. My best fitting shoes now are Asics and Nike... Even the runners I had pre pregnancy were strange feeling. They were too roomy and wide post pregnancy.
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri May 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Way to go on the running, Lightning!

I'm wearing the same shoes as before and haven't noticed any issues.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sat May 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support. I conclude it is my extra weight, which I am working (sorta) on. I find it tough to even eat anything during the day with how busy this mommy thing is, never mind healthy food. That being said, the one week I took time to plan and chop things up ahead of time, I did well. So I know that it will take extra care and thought. It is not impossible.

Kristi, the recovery has gone super! I tried running after 4.5 weeks with my family doctor's blessing, but it felt way weirder than I thought it should. So I officially resumed it at around 7 weeks, and it has been better. I am following a beginnner's program from the last issue of Runners World.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sat May 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Lightning- yay! I am glad you are back at it. :)

I felt like a runner today :) I went out in the pouring rain for a very short run- about 3k I think?- with Hudson. It reminded me of those training runs when you run because you have to despite the terrible weather, and in the end you love the run. I wish I could have gone longer but Huds was being lazy (it was his 3rd long walk of the day) and i was getting cold in the rain.

:)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sat May 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Lightning wrote:Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support. I conclude it is my extra weight, which I am working (sorta) on. I find it tough to even eat anything during the day with how busy this mommy thing is, never mind healthy food. That being said, the one week I took time to plan and chop things up ahead of time, I did well. So I know that it will take extra care and thought. It is not impossible.

Kristi, the recovery has gone super! I tried running after 4.5 weeks with my family doctor's blessing, but it felt way weirder than I thought it should. So I officially resumed it at around 7 weeks, and it has been better. I am following a beginnner's program from the last issue of Runners World.

The food thing is hard to sort out. I discovered the beauty of meal planning while I was on mat leave and I saved a LOT of money and my eating was way better. I ate a lot of cereal in the first few months at all hours of the day.

I'm so happy that the recovery has gone well for you. 4.5 weeks was when I started as well at the very beginning of the LTR program. It was slow, but it worked. Sometime in the next few weeks I'm likely going to have another csection, so it starts again for me. Fingers crossed that the recovery on round 2 is just as good for me.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun May 23, 2010 8:16 pm

pts - love those kinds of runs! don't they make you feel hardcore? :)

Kristi, good luck! :D How exciting that you will have a newborn again soon!

I must have a really good baby...I haven't had a lot of trouble with meal planning. Well, in the beginning, my in-laws brought over a lot of food, but some of it was stuff that I wouldn't eat. So, I still had to cook other stuff. Usually, I can put V in her swing and she is happy long enough for me to make dinner. Of course, then she will fuss when it's time to eat... :lol:

I managed 2x10 and 1's last run. I find that it takes a couple of days for me to recover from the runs though, so I can't manage running more than 2-3 times a week :?

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon May 24, 2010 12:31 pm

While I was trying to qualify for Boston last year, I didn't eat things like pasta, bread, cereal, etc. I felt so great eating that way that I am trying that again which requires much thought and preparation. So it isn't that Isaiah isn't great....he really is amazing...but I fail to plan sometimes ahead of time which I have to do eating this way. I know it will come again!

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Lightning wrote:While I was trying to qualify for Boston last year, I didn't eat things like pasta, bread, cereal, etc. I felt so great eating that way that I am trying that again which requires much thought and preparation. So it isn't that Isaiah isn't great....he really is amazing...but I fail to plan sometimes ahead of time which I have to do eating this way. I know it will come again!

What did you eat then?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon May 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Yes, Ironcoll, I was thinking I should have added more to explain. So every meal (5-6 meals per day) I ate protein (chicken, fish, sometimes red meat, protein shake), vegetables(tons of spinach and other veggies), fruit and some sort of fat (avacado). After a run I would have some sort of startchy carb, so it was not totally pasta/bagel-free. I guess I was just trying to eat as little prepared food as possible-eating clean maybe you would call it? I was never hungry, but it also took more planning because I included veggies with every meal. Since I don't LOVE veggies, I seem to "forget" to include them, even once in a day! Terrible!!!
Hope that makes sense.

-Ron Burgandy

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon May 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Lightning wrote:Yes, Ironcoll, I was thinking I should have added more to explain. So every meal (5-6 meals per day) I ate protein (chicken, fish, sometimes red meat, protein shake), vegetables(tons of spinach and other veggies), fruit and some sort of fat (avacado). After a run I would have some sort of startchy carb, so it was not totally pasta/bagel-free. I guess I was just trying to eat as little prepared food as possible-eating clean maybe you would call it? I was never hungry, but it also took more planning because I included veggies with every meal. Since I don't LOVE veggies, I seem to "forget" to include them, even once in a day! Terrible!!!
Hope that makes sense.

Wow...I have carbs at every meal and I snack on carbs. That must be part of my problem :lol:

Good for you!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon May 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Lightning wrote:Yes, Ironcoll, I was thinking I should have added more to explain. So every meal (5-6 meals per day) I ate protein (chicken, fish, sometimes red meat, protein shake), vegetables(tons of spinach and other veggies), fruit and some sort of fat (avacado). After a run I would have some sort of startchy carb, so it was not totally pasta/bagel-free. I guess I was just trying to eat as little prepared food as possible-eating clean maybe you would call it? I was never hungry, but it also took more planning because I included veggies with every meal. Since I don't LOVE veggies, I seem to "forget" to include them, even once in a day! Terrible!!!
Hope that makes sense.

This is what I tried to do while I was losing weight as well. LOTS of veggies and protein - very little carbs. I was amazed that my running was actually better eating like this than it was when I ate a lot of carbs. I found the planning to be important, otherwise I would just end up eating the same veggies everyday and it doesn't take long to get tired of veggies that way! Of course, as soon as I got pregnant again, I stopped eating as well and thus have welcomed back all that weight :)

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon May 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Kristi wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

This is what I tried to do while I was losing weight as well. LOTS of veggies and protein - very little carbs. I was amazed that my running was actually better eating like this than it was when I ate a lot of carbs. I found the planning to be important, otherwise I would just end up eating the same veggies everyday and it doesn't take long to get tired of veggies that way! Of course, as soon as I got pregnant again, I stopped eating as well and thus have welcomed back all that weight :)

I have to tell you I am soooooooooooo happy to read that this worked for you too. I was always afraid to share my plan with runners as the common thought is that you need all those carbs to run. I am not saying that you can't do that and be successful (many people on this forum are) but for me, it worked. Really, really cool Kristi. Will you be resuming this after baby #2 if possible? Hope you're feeling great.

-Ron Burgandy

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Lightning- have you thought of smoothies? I just got a 1-serving smoothing maker (kinda like a magic bullet, but not)- and I make at least one a day and it satisfies me. YOu can sneak in your protein (full-fat yogurt for vegetarian me, or avocado) and some veggies even (spinach "disappears" in a fruit smoothie). Just a thought since it is super quick, although not great for a sleeping baby (great for a toddler though, Gavin loves to VRRRRRMMMMM along with it).

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Lightning wrote:
Kristi wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

I have to tell you I am soooooooooooo happy to read that this worked for you too. I was always afraid to share my plan with runners as the common thought is that you need all those carbs to run. I am not saying that you can't do that and be successful (many people on this forum are) but for me, it worked. Really, really cool Kristi. Will you be resuming this after baby #2 if possible? Hope you're feeling great.

Thank you for clarifying. I am always interested in what other people do to achieve their goals.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon May 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Lightning wrote:
Kristi wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

The carb thing certainly worked for me for the first marathon, but I wanted to lose the baby weight plus more while training for the most recent one and it really did work for me. As soon as baby #2 comes, I will be resuming this. I think that it will be harder this time since Timmy usually just eats what we eat and I don't plan to restrict his diet so I just have to work harder to balance it. I'm so excited to be running again. I get really cranky when I see other runners because I'm jealous! The challenge will be waiting long enough to fully heal before straping on the running shoes again.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon May 24, 2010 8:08 pm

anners wrote:pts - love those kinds of runs! don't they make you feel hardcore? :)

Kristi, good luck! :D How exciting that you will have a newborn again soon!

I must have a really good baby...I haven't had a lot of trouble with meal planning. Well, in the beginning, my in-laws brought over a lot of food, but some of it was stuff that I wouldn't eat. So, I still had to cook other stuff. Usually, I can put V in her swing and she is happy long enough for me to make dinner. Of course, then she will fuss when it's time to eat... :lol:

I managed 2x10 and 1's last run. I find that it takes a couple of days for me to recover from the runs though, so I can't manage running more than 2-3 times a week :?

I go back and forth between excitment and sheer terror. It's a fine line!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon May 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Now you ladies have me thinking that I should try to cut down carbs :think: Nothing extreme, I mean, but surely I can substitute a couple of my carb servings a day with fruit or yogurt or something.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 am

Hmmm. I usually do eat low carb - but maybe I can go lower? Especially with the Gestational Diabetes thing.... Hmmm I usually have cereal in the am, and then a wrap at lunch and maybe 2 tbsps of rice at dinner. What do you eat that "sticks" with you, iykwim?

UGH, Haven't run this week. It was just chaotic - miss M stopped sleeping because of teething pain, so I was sooo groggy that it just wasn't safe to run - at least not pushing a stroller on the sidewalk. Usually, I'd force myself and do a run in the trails, but alas, there was a bear loose in there last week. So, we had a lazy week. Good thing I'm not training for anything!

:)
A
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 25, 2010 7:02 am

Just for those interested in the lower carb idea - I think that it's probably important for me to note that I was no longer breastfeeding at the time that I made the switch. So I could restrict my calories a bit more than someone who was breastfeeding full time.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue May 25, 2010 7:07 am

Kristi wrote:Just for those interested in the lower carb idea - I think that it's probably important for me to note that I was no longer breastfeeding at the time that I made the switch. So I could restrict my calories a bit more than someone who was breastfeeding full time.

Great clarification, Kristi! :)

I get what RG is saying about "feeling full" though - it usually feels like I "need" my carbs to feel full.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 am

For sure I get that IG. That feeling goes away after a few days of eating this way, and I still ate carbs (pasta etc) after a run, and still got other carbs through fruit and vegetables. At first, it is very very hard to adapt. I actually felt like I was getting the flu and wanted to give up. Crazy!

I am trying to eat this way while breastfeeding-baby is still gaining weight and happy, so I think it is okay for us. I am still taking in enough calories...I would never ever risk any harm to my baby.

-Ron Burgandy

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am

That's a good point with the BF-ing. I remember reading somewhere that carbs are important for breast milk production. I don't know for sure though, nor do I know how many carbs one needs (like would a daily serving of fruit, etc count?)

What about legumes and beans on this low carb diet - they are technically high in carbs, aren't they? Are they a no no, even though hey are high in protein?

;)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 am

Last edited by CinC on Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 am

(peeking my head in as someone who needs to lose poundage, not as a hot running new momma... maybe i can be a hot running new auntie? :P)

Lightning wrote:For sure I get that IG. That feeling goes away after a few days of eating this way, and I still ate carbs (pasta etc) after a run, and still got other carbs through fruit and vegetables. At first, it is very very hard to adapt. I actually felt like I was getting the flu and wanted to give up. Crazy!

it's also occurred to me, as i contemplate trying this approach, that only eating starches after a workout might be very different for someone like you who runs quite regularly compared to someone like moi who is, shall we say, a tad less dedicated. :oops: however, maybe i would run more if it earned me some (whole wheat) spaghetti! :think: :wink:

Lightning wrote:I am trying to eat this way while breastfeeding-baby is still gaining weight and happy, so I think it is okay for us. I am still taking in enough calories...I would never ever risk any harm to my baby.

it took me a while to sift through the research for milk supply in cows versus humans :lol:, but i can't find any research to suggest that this would be harmful. as long as you don't decrease your calorie intake (as someone who often looks at the nutritional info for salads on restaurant menus, i know that it's VERY easy to get enough calories without eating starches :roll:), continue to eat plenty of nutrient-rich fruits and veggies, and stay well-hydrated, you and baby should be a-ok!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 am

hot running aunties are totally welcome.

for bf-ing moms, maybe postlook at kellymom.com- a great bf-ing resource. or, if you want me to post a question on the forum (rather than you registering), i don't mind doing that.

Return to “The Scenic Route”