Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Tue May 25, 2010 10:31 am

If we are discussing breastfeeding....

John has pretty much stopped breastfeeding during the day. I still offer, and he will latch for about 2 seconds, then he pops off to look around, or to examine my breast and try to pinch it. :roll: He feeds in the morning and at night just fine. He's eating 3 meals of solids, and isn't wasting away by any means. So...is this normal??

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am

FishPants wrote:If we are discussing breastfeeding....

John has pretty much stopped breastfeeding during the day. I still offer, and he will latch for about 2 seconds, then he pops off to look around, or to examine my breast and try to pinch it. :roll: He feeds in the morning and at night just fine. He's eating 3 meals of solids, and isn't wasting away by any means. So...is this normal??

are you offering BM before his solids meals?

is he feeding throughout the night? It might be a matter of trying to "move" those feeds to the daytime.....one way is to give him 1 minute less/feed/night.....

Are you offering water in a sippy cup?

if he's not wasting away, then, it's "normal" - since nothing is really "normal", right?! ;) It's OKAY though.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 am

Irongirl wrote:
FishPants wrote:If we are discussing breastfeeding....

are you offering BM before his solids meals?

is he feeding throughout the night? It might be a matter of trying to "move" those feeds to the daytime.....one way is to give him 1 minute less/feed/night.....

Are you offering water in a sippy cup?

if he's not wasting away, then, it's "normal" - since nothing is really "normal", right?! ;) It's OKAY though.

1. no, solid meals are seperate.
2. One feed in the middle of the night. He feeds before sleeping, once sometime in the night (it varies ), one in the AM.
3. Yes, and he LOVES his sippy cup.

I know, normal is probably not the right word! He is very solid with lots of rolls so I figured he is doing just fine, but I never know what babies are "supposed" to do. :)

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue May 25, 2010 11:25 am

one night feed is great! :) I've heard of babies that cut out day feeds, but increase their night feeds - that would be a problem for me! ;)

Maybe try offering the boob BEFORE solids?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

Lightning wrote:For sure I get that IG. That feeling goes away after a few days of eating this way, and I still ate carbs (pasta etc) after a run, and still got other carbs through fruit and vegetables. At first, it is very very hard to adapt. I actually felt like I was getting the flu and wanted to give up. Crazy!

I am trying to eat this way while breastfeeding-baby is still gaining weight and happy, so I think it is okay for us. I am still taking in enough calories...I would never ever risk any harm to my baby.

I really hope that it didn't come across as implying that at all since that was so not my intention! I'm actually really excited to hear about your food choices while breast feeding. My hope is that breastfeeding goes much better for me this time and to hear that you are making these choices while breastfeeding successfully makes me very happy!

I just meant that for me, it was a factor that I didn't have to consider so I could cut calories without the worry of impacting anyone else. There is a very good chance that come this summer, I'll be emailing you lots of questions looking for advice and guidance!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am

Fishpants - what is normal? :wink: If only all babies would follow some set of rules and guidelines - wouldn't life be much easier??

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 am

Kristi wrote:Fishpants - what is normal? :wink: If only all babies would follow some set of rules and guidelines - wouldn't life be much easier??

I keep saying that birth should go like this: baby, manual packed nicely in plastic wrap/ziploc bag, placenta. The manual would be customized to your particular baby.

I think my manual got accidentally thrown out at the hospital.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue May 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi Kristi...so funny, that post must have come off defensive because you were not the only one who thought I was upset. NOT AT ALL...I just wanted to show the other side where someone is trying it while breastfeeding. You have actually come through to the other side of it, so I think your experience at the moment is more valuable. Ask me in three months' time!

RG, I wondered the same thing about needing carbs while breastfeeding, but I think that I am taking in plenty of carbs via fruits etc and my one starchy meal after a run (oh, did I mention I also eat three "free" meals per week where I don't pay attention to the little rules???). And I wonder-and anyone who has any sort of nutritional knowledge can please chime in-why do we all think our carbs have to come from processed foods like pasta, bagels, cereal, etc.? I think carbs are a very important part of any diet, but can one cut out bagels/pasta/cereal and be fine? What do they really offer nutritionally? IronColl, I know you know your stuff in that regard...are breads etc. really necessary?

FP-I love that you still have questions about BFing a few months in. I just got off the phone with one of my friends after a 30 minute conversation on BFing. (I is cutting down his number of feedings quite consistently; apparently babies do this????? I just didn't think it would be this early in the game. Hey, maybe it IS the carbs???? :D )

Love the open discussion we are having, would love to hear others' thoughts. Hi Auntie D! Of course you're allowed here!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 25, 2010 12:40 pm

FishPants wrote:
Kristi wrote:Fishpants - what is normal? :wink: If only all babies would follow some set of rules and guidelines - wouldn't life be much easier??

I keep saying that birth should go like this: baby, manual packed nicely in plastic wrap/ziploc bag, placenta. The manual would be customized to your particular baby.

I think my manual got accidentally thrown out at the hospital.

I'll tell Joe to be on the look-out for the manual in case they try to throw out mine too!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Lightning wrote:FP-I love that you still have questions about BFing a few months in. I just got off the phone with one of my friends after a 30 minute conversation on BFing. (I is cutting down his number of feedings quite consistently; apparently babies do this????? I just didn't think it would be this early in the game. Hey, maybe it IS the carbs???? :D )

Love the open discussion we are having, would love to hear others' thoughts. Hi Auntie D! Of course you're allowed here!

Not sure if this will make anyone feel better or worse about BF'ing, but I still have questions and I have a 16 month old who is still BF! :lol:

Lightning, if you are concerned about intake of carbs (again, I have no idea if you need them or not for BF!), what about things like quinoa or lentils or barley? A less "processed" food, but still high in carbs (and also has protein- esp quinoa). I don't eat a lot of bread/cereal carbs generally (although lately Gavin is into "kakas"- crackers- so I am!), and I eat a lot of barley and lentils.

I am trying a new recipe today for lentil/quinoa/barley salad (with veggies), since Gavin really liked a similar one I got at a gourmet store. I am making a big batch and then going to have it for lunches for a few days with G. That made me think of this thread and the protein/carb question.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue May 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Quinoa is a HUGE part of my diet, pts!! Great suggestion. That is the problem with me posting stuff while baby takes his little naps; it come across fragmented and rushed and sometimes people don't get the full story. But, I think this is the thread where people will get why that happens... :D

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm

pts wrote:
Lightning wrote:FP-I love that you still have questions about BFing a few months in. I just got off the phone with one of my friends after a 30 minute conversation on BFing. (I is cutting down his number of feedings quite consistently; apparently babies do this????? I just didn't think it would be this early in the game. Hey, maybe it IS the carbs???? :D )

Not sure if this will make anyone feel better or worse about BF'ing, but I still have questions and I have a 16 month old who is still BF! :lol:

If given the choice to, then babies/toddlers will decide when they want to be weaned. Both my kids decided for me when BF was done. Yeah, my ego took a bit of a hit because I wasn't ready to let go, but they were ready to move on.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Tue May 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Lightning wrote:
RG, I wondered the same thing about needing carbs while breastfeeding, but I think that I am taking in plenty of carbs via fruits etc and my one starchy meal after a run (oh, did I mention I also eat three "free" meals per week where I don't pay attention to the little rules???). And I wonder-and anyone who has any sort of nutritional knowledge can please chime in-why do we all think our carbs have to come from processed foods like pasta, bagels, cereal, etc.? I think carbs are a very important part of any diet, but can one cut out bagels/pasta/cereal and be fine? What do they really offer nutritionally? IronColl, I know you know your stuff in that regard...are breads etc. really necessary?

I certainly don't have 'background' in terms of nutrition, but I can tell you that I ate very similarly to you for a while about a year and a half ago. No real reason, just wanted to try it. I was tracking everything I ate and caloric intake and my carbohydrate numbers didn't suffer (in terms of grams consumed). I just shifted the grams consumed from breads and pasta to veggies and fruits. I don't find it all that necessary to do any more because I have successfully switched all of my starches to whole grain options. So I feel "OK" about consumer them in the appropriate portion size.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Lightning wrote:Hi Kristi...so funny, that post must have come off defensive because you were not the only one who thought I was upset. NOT AT ALL...I just wanted to show the other side where someone is trying it while breastfeeding. You have actually come through to the other side of it, so I think your experience at the moment is more valuable. Ask me in three months' time!

FP-I love that you still have questions about BFing a few months in. I just got off the phone with one of my friends after a 30 minute conversation on BFing. (I is cutting down his number of feedings quite consistently; apparently babies do this????? I just didn't think it would be this early in the game. Hey, maybe it IS the carbs???? :D )

Glad to hear that you aren't upset :) Now I feel better!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue May 25, 2010 6:23 pm

pts wrote:

Lightning, if you are concerned about intake of carbs (again, I have no idea if you need them or not for BF!), what about things like quinoa or lentils or barley? A less "processed" food, but still high in carbs (and also has protein- esp quinoa). I don't eat a lot of bread/cereal carbs generally (although lately Gavin is into "kakas"- crackers- so I am!), and I eat a lot of barley and lentils.

I am trying a new recipe today for lentil/quinoa/barley salad (with veggies), since Gavin really liked a similar one I got at a gourmet store. I am making a big batch and then going to have it for lunches for a few days with G. That made me think of this thread and the protein/carb question.

Can you post this recipe if it works out for you? I need to expand my non-meat repetoire of recipes and this one sounds good. We're into "gookies" in our our house, which can be cookies, crackers or sometimes toast, so there are lots of those hanging around!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue May 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Kristi wrote:
pts wrote:

Can you post this recipe if it works out for you? I need to expand my non-meat repetoire of recipes and this one sounds good. We're into "gookies" in our our house, which can be cookies, crackers or sometimes toast, so there are lots of those hanging around!

haha, gookies- hilarious!

Ok, so here is my unofficial recipe (I dont really do recipes- it works well sometimes and disasterous other times):

- bring a pot of water with vegetable bouillion cube (low sodium if you can) to a boil, add in the quinoa (I used red- longer cooking time but "prettier" in the mix) and barley, reduce to low and simmer while cooking. Then add in lentils with about 10 minutes left (they take less time), I eye-balled enough to soak up the rest of the broth. With a few minutes left, throw in some beans of your choice with a few minutes left (I used a new little red bean today, I forget what it is called, but looks like a small kdney bean with a mild flavour). Then, chop up some veggies very small (I did green peppers, tomatoes, and zuchs), and some fresh herbs and toss in the finished mixture. I was going to put a very light vinegrette on it but all we have in the new house is balsamic, and that is too much for this, so right now mine is sitting naked. Gavin enjoyed it though.

Oh, and also highly recommend (or at least Gavin does) an Egyptian lentils and rice meal- although we sub out about 1/2 the rice for quinoa and barley- see this recipe for example (mine is different but I am too lazy to type it all out).

http://myownsweetthyme.blogspot.com/2008/03/kusherie-egyptian-rice-and-lentils.html

The best part is that it tastes like a ton of carbs, but it is all really healthy stuff (with the rice amount lowered) and you can make sticky rice/lentil balls with the leftovers (which Gavin lovesssss!). I can eat it without heating the next day even (useful since we don't have a microwave).

Ok, now someone else share, I need ideas too (veggie meals!).

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed May 26, 2010 7:36 am

IronColl wrote:
pts wrote:

If given the choice to, then babies/toddlers will decide when they want to be weaned. Both my kids decided for me when BF was done. Yeah, my ego took a bit of a hit because I wasn't ready to let go, but they were ready to move on.

Aww, I feel for you- that must have been hard. I *think* I am ready for him to wean anytime, but I don't think he is ready (we tried the "no boobie" the other day when he was really really demanding, and got a tantrum until i caved). Right now he is trying my patience with wanting to nurse all the time.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed May 26, 2010 5:28 pm

pts wrote:Lightning- have you thought of smoothies? I just got a 1-serving smoothing maker (kinda like a magic bullet, but not)- and I make at least one a day and it satisfies me. YOu can sneak in your protein (full-fat yogurt for vegetarian me, or avocado) and some veggies even (spinach "disappears" in a fruit smoothie). Just a thought since it is super quick, although not great for a sleeping baby (great for a toddler though, Gavin loves to VRRRRRMMMMM along with it).

Which smoothie maker do you have?

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed May 26, 2010 5:36 pm

John nursed fine this afternoon....at home in his house with his breastfeeding pillow.

I think a lot of it is if we aren't home there is just SO MUCH to look at that he gets distracted :)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 am

anners wrote:
pts wrote:Lightning- have you thought of smoothies? I just got a 1-serving smoothing maker (kinda like a magic bullet, but not)- and I make at least one a day and it satisfies me. YOu can sneak in your protein (full-fat yogurt for vegetarian me, or avocado) and some veggies even (spinach "disappears" in a fruit smoothie). Just a thought since it is super quick, although not great for a sleeping baby (great for a toddler though, Gavin loves to VRRRRRMMMMM along with it).

Which smoothie maker do you have?

The Hamilton Beach Personal Blender- only about 18.00 in the US (Target), and works really well! It goes through whole frozen strawberries even (my old one didnt).

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon May 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks pts!

I haven't run for a few days due to lower back pain. It hurt to bend over, which of course I have to do 100x a day to pick up V. I saw my chiro today and he says it's just tightness in the muscles, which is a relief...I really thought I hurt my back. So, I may try to run tonight (he said I could keep at it).

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:24 am

anners wrote:Thanks pts!

I haven't run for a few days due to lower back pain. It hurt to bend over, which of course I have to do 100x a day to pick up V. I saw my chiro today and he says it's just tightness in the muscles, which is a relief...I really thought I hurt my back. So, I may try to run tonight (he said I could keep at it).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

-Ron Burgandy

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:55 am

Lightening,

You probably are getting enough carbs! One of my friends eats very similarly to you - she tries to eat like they ate 20,000 (pre-farming) years ago or something - so no refined grains at all (in fact, almost no grains). Helps her keep trim, and she hasn't had any bf-ing problems.

I don't generally have a problem eating low carb - but breakfast is tough - what do you eat for breakfast?

As for the bf-ing stuff, I can't really comment, but I know that Miss M (10 months old now) from about 8 months old had NO interest in milk - she drinks 4 0z, 3 times a day. This was totally not enough, so I asked my doctor and my dr asked me what I was feeding her during the meals. She then told me that it sounded Like Miss M was getting a well balanced diet, and that she was healthy so not to worry. It's kind of like Miss M is self weaning - she only wants her am and before bed bottle, and will take one before her afternoon nap if I give it to her in her crib and take away all other stimulation (I know, she'll get cavities!)

So maybe cutting down on milk is normal at this stage?

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:58 am

P.S.

Has anyone heard of anything called PGX daily? Any success, or?

RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 pm

randomgirl wrote:Lightening,

You probably are getting enough carbs! One of my friends eats very similarly to you - she tries to eat like they ate 20,000 (pre-farming) years ago or something - so no refined grains at all (in fact, almost no grains). Helps her keep trim, and she hasn't had any bf-ing problems.

I don't generally have a problem eating low carb - but breakfast is tough - what do you eat for breakfast?

As for the bf-ing stuff, I can't really comment, but I know that Miss M (10 months old now) from about 8 months old had NO interest in milk - she drinks 4 0z, 3 times a day. This was totally not enough, so I asked my doctor and my dr asked me what I was feeding her during the meals. She then told me that it sounded Like Miss M was getting a well balanced diet, and that she was healthy so not to worry. It's kind of like Miss M is self weaning - she only wants her am and before bed bottle, and will take one before her afternoon nap if I give it to her in her crib and take away all other stimulation (I know, she'll get cavities!)

So maybe cutting down on milk is normal at this stage?

RG

Thanks RG for your thoughts! I generally eat an omlette with a bunch of veggies thrown in for breakfast. Honestly, from time to time, I will have oatmeal for breakfast cause, like you say, breakfast is tough. Very interesting about Miss M. LOVE that you threw in the cavity thing in there before someone could jump on it; really, is it THAT bad to have a bottle in the crib? We are not at that stage yet but we were just discussing this!

-Ron Burgandy

Return to “The Scenic Route”