Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Irongirl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Hallowe'en treats - I bought licorice treats and kept the box, so, no tempting before Hallowe'en, and, no real tempting after.

I did a NO Hallowe'en treats at all last year (and had success!) that almost spilled over to this year - it was like I didn't care about them at all - which was weird!

I ran almost 5km today.....and still felt fine! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Kristi wrote:I did it. I threw away the leftover chocolates. I just couldn't take their taunting any longer so now they are gone. Sorry LadyJ, but they would never have made it to the post office to send to you.

Not cool dude, not cool!!

(I'm impressed with your control though. I could never throw out those tasty little treats!!)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Lightning wrote:

I think you live far away, but there is the Chilly Half in Burlington at the beginning of March, or you could do the 30k Around the Bay in Hamilton at the end of March. Seriously, and I hope others will back me up, Around the Bay is a GREAT race. At 30k (provided you have trained ok), you still feel pretty good, unlike a marathon where you must go past that point and feel kind of like poop. Is traveling an option? A will be a year by then...

Andrea, Scrummy and I did the bus trip to ATB a few years ago - it was a blast! I'm hoping maybe next year (2012, not 2011) to get back for it.

I did another short weights workout again today while Z slept. No running for now...I need bigger shoes first :(

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:20 pm

LadyJ wrote:
Lightning wrote:

I think you live far away, but there is the Chilly Half in Burlington at the beginning of March, or you could do the 30k Around the Bay in Hamilton at the end of March. Seriously, and I hope others will back me up, Around the Bay is a GREAT race. At 30k (provided you have trained ok), you still feel pretty good, unlike a marathon where you must go past that point and feel kind of like poop. Is traveling an option? A will be a year by then...

Andrea, Scrummy and I did the bus trip to ATB a few years ago - it was a blast! I'm hoping maybe next year (2012, not 2011) to get back for it.

I did another short weights workout again today while Z slept. No running for now...I need bigger shoes first :(

When I first read this I thought you were saying you and scrummy did ATB and I was thinking...um yah, I was there....got it, I"m the one with the fried Mommy brain, not you.

Thanks all for the suggestions. ATB actually might be a good goal for me. I originally didn't think so for next year since I will likely be back at work (as in no time for anything) but I might be able to take an extra couple of weeks off. I feel confident that I could train for the distance.

Tori, yes, I do want to travel to San Fran in the fall for the 1/2. What do you have to do to register for this elite, super awesome race?

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:28 pm

AndyM wrote:
Tori, yes, I do want to travel to San Fran in the fall for the 1/2. What do you have to do to register for this elite, super awesome race?

In late March early April, we will register for the secret group code. You enter the race and use the group code so if one our names is pulled in the lottery the whole group gets to go. So far Carla and I are 2/2 in the lottery!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 am

Lightning wrote:All is good, feeling ready! A bit nervous of course but after a year and a half off of racing, that is to be expected. Anners, how are you feeling about your race? When will ATB training start for you? Kristi...how is the running going? Treats are the devil. :evil:

I did a good tempo run the other day, and I'm about 5-6 lbs lighter than when I did my last 10k, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I just looked up the ATB training schedule, and it's telling me to start on Dec 20. I'm going to follow it very loosely. I've never been a 5x/week type of runner, and I think I will have trouble even getting 4x/week done with V thrown into the equation. I will do my best to follow the LSD distances, though. I have some work to do on building my base until then.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 am

anners wrote:
I just looked up the ATB training schedule, and it's telling me to start on Dec 20. I'm going to follow it very loosely. I've never been a 5x/week type of runner, and I think I will have trouble even getting 4x/week done with V thrown into the equation. I will do my best to follow the LSD distances, though. I have some work to do on building my base until then.

Ann, I have a 3 day per week program that was designed for me after I had Owen. If you are interested, I can forward it to you. It was for a 1/2 marathon, but you can adjust your LSD accordingly.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Was it here we were talking about Hallowe'en costumes for cheap? I was just at Superstore (cheapest diapers), and all their Hallowe'en stuff is 75% off. I scored an adorable plush bat for $5 and a firefighter coat with helmet for $3. My mom was a firefighter, so she will be very excited if John dresses up as one eventually :)

Both costumes are big, and may not fit next year (the firefighter coat is size 7/8), but they will fit eventually! and who knows, if I have to fit the bat over a parka, it may fit next year!

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi everyone, I'm an aspiring hot running momma (due in March) and find all of you very inspiring! I have stopped running until after the pregnancy, but am filling the gap with walking and the elliptical. Does anyone have tips on good pregnancy fitness clothes? I have been wearing some of my larger workout clothes, but that is not going to last much longer. I am wondering if it is better just to buy larger stuff or if there are options anyone recommends for maternity clothes that work well and are comfortable? If you can share what has worked for you, I would appreciate it!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Andes wrote:Hi everyone, I'm an aspiring hot running momma (due in March) and find all of you very inspiring! I have stopped running until after the pregnancy, but am filling the gap with walking and the elliptical. Does anyone have tips on good pregnancy fitness clothes? I have been wearing some of my larger workout clothes, but that is not going to last much longer. I am wondering if it is better just to buy larger stuff or if there are options anyone recommends for maternity clothes that work well and are comfortable? If you can share what has worked for you, I would appreciate it!

Welcome Andes! :D Georgetown eh? You are not too far from me (Elora) and I am due (with #2) in late March/early April.

I found that Lulu pants (or cheaper versions of them) stretched with me throughout pregnancy- of course they didn't fit once I got back to normal after pregnancy, but I am using them again this time around. In terms of bras, I was lucky that my sports bras fit throughout my first pregnancy and I didn't really have to go out and get new stuff. I found race shirts that were already large worked well for tops, or when I got really big my husband's technical shirts were taken over by me (as did his winter jacket, his favorite sweatshirt among other things- haha!).
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 pm

No advice on maternity waorkout clothes, but I wanted to say welcome to Andes :)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:05 pm

pts wrote: I found race shirts that were already large worked well for tops, or when I got really big my husband's technical shirts were taken over by me (as did his winter jacket, his favorite sweatshirt among other things- haha!).

That's what I did too! Finally, a use for too-large race shirts!! Joe is just getting some of his clothes back now :)

Welcome Andes!!

Thanks to AndyM, I have some shoes to tide me over :) My toes didn't hurt today during my walk :dance:

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Welcome Andes! I wore cheap yoga pants (costco) and big cotton shirts to exercise in while I was pregnant. Those size large Run for the Cure t-shirts came in handy :lol: I didn't really need tech clothing, since I wasn't working very hard...mostly just walking the dog and then on the treadmill when it got icy out. I also had a March baby :D I couldn't even wear DH's clothes, because we are the same size when I am not pregnant :?

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Welcome Andes!

I have an awesome pair of maternity running shorts (tights) - and a maternity running/workout tank top. Now that it's colder out, I'm putting my long tights over the shorts (below the belly) and a long sleeve shirt over the tank top - it's tight, but, it works!

Oh, and I have an NCM volunteer vest that is HUGE that works well also!
i run for me.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Welcome Andes! March babies are uper awesome!! I have one too.

I am going to go against the norm here on my comments on the maternity workout clothes. I did just buy larger versions of what I would normally wear and I looked for styles that were longer for tops. Bottoms are a bit more of a pain though. I found by the end I needed to have them sit below my belly. By getting some larger I found I still really liked my workout gear, was not uncomfortable and they were also great for the first few months post partum when I was not back into my small, tight fitting tops. I bought a few higher end things like lulu and RR stuff but also got some things at costco. I find their stuff pretty decent for the price.

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 pm

ah yes - the long tops - I bought an RR top that was long and had a drawstring - it's been awesome and would be great for the gym!

here's the shirt at 21 weeks:

....and now at 30 weeks!
i run for me.

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:55 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! :) I am having the same experience with finally having a use for race shirts which is nice. Bottoms are the biggest pain since I find that the type of tights/capris that I normally buy are stretchy enough to fit but compress too much to be comfortable. It sounds like my best bet is to head to the RR (or perhaps brave Lulu - I find that store intimidating!). Thankfully I do have a pair of my husband's pants that work out quite nicely, so maybe I'll just get him some new clothes instead so I can keep them!

It's funny, I stopped running recently (would have loved to keep going but for various reasons I decided it was better to take a hiatus) and I haven't really minded it since the weather has been so nice and I have been getting out for walks on the trails. Now that winter is coming I am starting to really miss it - I love running in the snow but am really not a fan of going for walks in the cold. As I said earlier, I am finding the rest of you very inspiring as it helps me think ahead to getting back out there in the spring.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am

AndyM wrote:Welcome Andes! March babies are uper awesome!! I have one too.

I am going to go against the norm here on my comments on the maternity workout clothes. I did just buy larger versions of what I would normally wear and I looked for styles that were longer for tops. Bottoms are a bit more of a pain though. I found by the end I needed to have them sit below my belly. By getting some larger I found I still really liked my workout gear, was not uncomfortable and they were also great for the first few months post partum when I was not back into my small, tight fitting tops. I bought a few higher end things like lulu and RR stuff but also got some things at costco. I find their stuff pretty decent for the price.

I wasn't running so I couldn't really justify spending money on new workout clothes. I just work a mat tank top to yoga with larger shorts. But I did buy a few bathing suits as I got larger since I swam up to 38 weeks.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:06 am

Welcome Andes!

The lulu cool racerback tank has been a mainstay for me. I am wearing them through a second pregnancy and they went back to regular size after the first, so I have gotten a lot of use out of them. They are even worn as a regular top since I am so warm. Not a bad $39 investment. I have a couple racerback bras from MEC that I wear underneath that still give enough support for me.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:34 am

Welcome Andes!!! I do not mind working out in cotton...I run a LOT in cotton tees and tanks, so I bought some bigger cheap tank tops from Old Navy to work out and run in. (though I only ran up to 20 weeks)
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 am

What have people used for maternity sports bras? I'm not running, but for my "power" walking and any at home work out, I want to have a sports bra, as opposed to a regular one. I've been sqeeeezing into my regular basic racer back ones for the past few months, but it is becoming very uncomfortable! I know I have to get something new, but sports bras are so $$!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:25 am

I bought a bounce breaker at full price and washed it after every workout. I scored a tata tamer this time at half price and it has the adjustable straps. Both are a full support bra.
If you are wanting to keep exercising, then get a good bra, even if it is the only one. Yeah, it is a lot of $$, but you will get the use out of it.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:35 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:What have people used for maternity sports bras? I'm not running, but for my "power" walking and any at home work out, I want to have a sports bra, as opposed to a regular one. I've been sqeeeezing into my regular basic racer back ones for the past few months, but it is becoming very uncomfortable! I know I have to get something new, but sports bras are so $$!

I got away with wearing my old sports bras during and after preg but something you might consider is that you will probably be wearing a bigger size for quite a while post partum especially if you are nursing. It might make spending the $ a bit more bearable to know that it will likely not just be for a 4 month timeframe that you need it.

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 am

I double-bra'd it during pregnancy and breastfeeding. There was still some bounce though, so I would take IronColl's advice and splurge on a new more expensive bra.

I am very very very low maintainence when it comes to workout clothes. Case-in-point: I ran with lots of older men while running at the RR. They one day had an intervention while I was instructing a clinic where they told me to "use my discount, damn it, and buy some new running clothes!" I didn't listen. Really they were probably trying to tell me my clothes were stinky or something.

I like running in cotton tanks and free race t-shirts. I honestly do NOT care what I look like while running. Hey, now I forget why I went off on this tangent...oh ya, wanted to tell you, Andes, that I hear you on the Lulu comment. I go there twice per year when I am buying a gift certificate for a couple of my friend's birthdays, and once my whole class got together and gave me a huge giftcard for there. But that is it...I feel weird in there! So I stick to my old stinky clothes. :D
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:What have people used for maternity sports bras? I'm not running, but for my "power" walking and any at home work out, I want to have a sports bra, as opposed to a regular one. I've been sqeeeezing into my regular basic racer back ones for the past few months, but it is becoming very uncomfortable! I know I have to get something new, but sports bras are so $$!

I have one or two that I could lend you - I wore one last night for the last time - it was definitely too tight to wear again! (I also have two little books that I want to pass off to you!)

I was a 36-38B pre-Delilah.....I did go back to that about a year after having her, but, when I got myself measured for a nursing bra (and then used that to buy a sports bra), I was a 40DD. I have a great post-partum running bra that I'll transition into now.....
i run for me.

Return to “The Scenic Route”