Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Marg
Site Admin

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Marg » Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 pm

JLA wrote:
Tori wrote:
JLA wrote:
I'm happy with my race, even if I slowed somewhat in the second half. Chip time was 1:47:54, a PPPB by just over 2 minutes. I thought I might be able to chase down the 1:45 bunny, but it wasn't meant to be today. I should count myself lucky that I had such an uneventful run, though...a friend who came to stay with us this weekend (she and her husband were both doing the half) had the following things happen during her race: She got thrown up on, she herself threw up, she stepped on a squirrel, AND she needed medical attention. Yoy!

Your friend takes the cake on bad race experiences. Was it a live squirrel? The only thing she was missing was stepping in diarrhea from the guy running with the runs in front of her! :sick:

Yep. Live squirrel. Bolted in front of her and she stepped on its tail.

I should also add that she had to discard her red-Gatorade-puke stained white running skirt mid-race - thankfully she wore shorts underneath - and then had to turn around and run back to her puke-skirt when she realized she'd left her car key in the pocket.

She was ordering double Caesars at lunch afterwards, and I don't blame her.

:shock:
You can't even make up stories like this... yowsers!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Marg wrote:
JLA wrote:
Tori wrote:
JLA wrote:
I'm happy with my race, even if I slowed somewhat in the second half. Chip time was 1:47:54, a PPPB by just over 2 minutes. I thought I might be able to chase down the 1:45 bunny, but it wasn't meant to be today. I should count myself lucky that I had such an uneventful run, though...a friend who came to stay with us this weekend (she and her husband were both doing the half) had the following things happen during her race: She got thrown up on, she herself threw up, she stepped on a squirrel, AND she needed medical attention. Yoy!

Your friend takes the cake on bad race experiences. Was it a live squirrel? The only thing she was missing was stepping in diarrhea from the guy running with the runs in front of her! :sick:

Yep. Live squirrel. Bolted in front of her and she stepped on its tail.

I should also add that she had to discard her red-Gatorade-puke stained white running skirt mid-race - thankfully she wore shorts underneath - and then had to turn around and run back to her puke-skirt when she realized she'd left her car key in the pocket.

She was ordering double Caesars at lunch afterwards, and I don't blame her.

:shock:
You can't even make up stories like this... yowsers!

No kidding! Is your friend a maniac? Can you get her to post a race report? :o

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Congrats Jess! I can't believe we missed you either - we were at Gilchrist and Wellington with the meatball gang - and my awesome signs!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun May 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Great work HRMs!!! Sorry for the lack of personal s/o's, but I followed everyone on FB and read the updates here. So pumped for all of you :)

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun May 29, 2011 9:45 pm

OMG - the puke and squirrel story? You can't make that stuff up. I hope she had a whole lot of ceasars :shock: .
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 pm

I've been watching too much UP. All I can think is "SQUIRREL!!"

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Mon May 30, 2011 10:29 am

She's not a maniac, so there's no race report forthcoming, but the white skirt can be viewed (pre-puke) in my ORW album on FB!

Jesse - I saw Team Meatball a little too late; I was on the opposite side of the road, hence the Charlotte-missing. You guys were delightfully loud, though!

So, for those who raced this weekend (including the newly PPPBed IronColl, I do believe...) - how are the legs feeling? Mine felt like lead yesterday but aren't too bad today, which comes in handy whilst hauling 27 pounds of toddler up and down the stairs.

Hammie, how was your race?? HRM inquiring minds want to know!

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Mon May 30, 2011 11:17 am

JLA wrote:

Okay, I just saw your RR...Amazing job!!!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

JLA wrote:She's not a maniac, so there's no race report forthcoming, but the white skirt can be viewed (pre-puke) in my ORW album on FB!

Jesse - I saw Team Meatball a little too late; I was on the opposite side of the road, hence the Charlotte-missing. You guys were delightfully loud, though!

So, for those who raced this weekend (including the newly PPPBed IronColl, I do believe...) - how are the legs feeling? Mine felt like lead yesterday but aren't too bad today, which comes in handy whilst hauling 27 pounds of toddler up and down the stairs.

Legs aren't feeling too terrible today! Funny though, I noticed them most at the same time as you...walking down stairs carrying the kid on one hip and a giant box of diapers in the other. Although my child is only a mini 21 lbs. :D

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 30, 2011 11:46 am

Mine are fine, but I ran so much less than you two! I ran 5k with Zack this morning and other than the heat it was fine.

We've already ran 5k and walked 6k today. I think we'll hit up Walmart after nap time, so that's another 4k. Big day around here :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon May 30, 2011 2:14 pm

I am hoping to read all the HRMs race reports tonight when (if?) the kids are in bed, so get on writing those reports ladies :D

I ran this morning, only about 3k total run/walk, but my hips are not too sore so I am happy! G was supposed to be in daycare today, but it seems that daycare days are always the days he gets fevers and has to stay home. :evil: So, no break for me today, but for my sanity I am glad I ran this AM before DH left.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 30, 2011 4:30 pm

OMG JLA what a story! Hammie is right, you can't make that up.

I am really happy with my race. I put about 1:05 worth of songs on a playlist hoping to beat that. My 10.5km last week was done at a 6:37/km pace and it was very hard to get through. I ended up running a lot faster and stronger than I anticipated and with a portapottie stop finished in 1:01:36. The last km was very tough as my right leg felt like it was asleep. I'm still a bit sore in the leg and abdomen from breathing so hard.
I was impressed that I was able to push myself for the whole race and dig really deep in the last half.

Here's the medal:
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Mon May 30, 2011 5:25 pm

You were awesome yesterday and looking fantastic!

Congratulations on not sucking!
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon May 30, 2011 6:57 pm

I think that is an excellent way to display a medal :)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Awe, nothing sweeter than a sleeping babe.

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon May 30, 2011 8:31 pm

IronColl, that is FANTASTIC!!!!!!! What a great comeback; I hope that gives you confidence to go after your marathon goals in training and for your race. We are all behind you.

The mommies who raced this weekend are SO inspiring! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

ps. AndyM, I can totally relate to your lack of racing..shall we call it...oomph? Training was ok for me but I never had that pizazz required to race quickly. Not sure why. I never have tried to beat other people in races-never care about that, but I always brought my A game because I wanted to out-race my old times. I find it difficult to try hard (I know...sounds terrible) now when I am so far off of my old racing self. Very bad attitude that I must fix.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 30, 2011 10:56 pm

That is the sweetest picture ever. And congrats on a stellar race, IC!

I'm actually surprised - my left foot is on FIRE because of PF, but the rest of me isn't that sore. A little achy in the quads, but nothing to stop me from getting around. I feel sort of cheated - how could something hurt so much in the last 7k without permanently damaging me?! :lol: Glad to hear all of the other HRMs are recovering well!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 am

Lightning wrote:IronColl, that is FANTASTIC!!!!!!! What a great comeback; I hope that gives you confidence to go after your marathon goals in training and for your race. We are all behind you.

The mommies who raced this weekend are SO inspiring! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

ps. AndyM, I can totally relate to your lack of racing..shall we call it...oomph? Training was ok for me but I never had that pizazz required to race quickly. Not sure why. I never have tried to beat other people in races-never care about that, but I always brought my A game because I wanted to out-race my old times. I find it difficult to try hard (I know...sounds terrible) now when I am so far off of my old racing self. Very bad attitude that I must fix.

If you figure out how can you please share your secret? That is how I feel exactly. The marathon is is such a mental game and I feel like I lost that part of the game on Sunday. My plan, so far, is to race some 10k's and 1/2's in hopes to bring down my times and build my confidence...while not spending insane amounts of time running. :)

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Lightning wrote:Jes, saw your hubby at the Mississauga race expo. He reminded me that Z is 7 months!!! Where does the time go? And when did I get so old that I now say that all of the time? (kids are a walking reminder of how quickly time passes, I guess) My guy just stared and stared at Joe...it was awkward for all involved.

FYI - i got to meet zack at the ottawa MnG and he just stared at me, so we are even stevens! :lol: he's adorable!!!!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Look at that medal model, sooo adorable!

Still no hip pain (and day 2 is usually the worst), YAY! I am excited to run again now, maybe thursday!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 am

sinus infection, on antibiotics, and hopefully will resume running in a couple of days. Doctor told me to get plenty of rest and I almost burst out laughing (toddler not sleeping lately). le sigh.

Love the pic, IC :)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Had my 6 week check today, where we discussed my surgery to remove my cyst. It will be scheduled in a few months, when Damon is older and eating some solids, and since it should be day surgery, I won't need to pump so much. Then, after I filled out the paperwork, the receptionist said "she had a cancellation for this Friday, how does that work for you?" Um, not at all, but thanks.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm so impressed by everyone's races this weekend - you should all be proud. I'm so inspired by all of you!!

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:02 am

I have a question for those of you who take your babies for walks in wraps or front carriers. Do you do anything special to protect them from the sun? When J is in the stroller I am pretty careful about using the shade to keep direct sunlight off of him. When I am wearing him I make sure he is wearing a sun hat, but that still leaves his arms and legs exposed - I try to walk in shady areas, but am not sure what to do on nice sunny days when it is too warm for long sleeves. :?

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 am

Andes wrote:I have a question for those of you who take your babies for walks in wraps or front carriers. Do you do anything special to protect them from the sun? When J is in the stroller I am pretty careful about using the shade to keep direct sunlight off of him. When I am wearing him I make sure he is wearing a sun hat, but that still leaves his arms and legs exposed - I try to walk in shady areas, but am not sure what to do on nice sunny days when it is too warm for long sleeves. :?

umbrella?

Return to “The Scenic Route”