Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby randomgirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Hugs you guys!

I am going to get out today, but my hips are killing me after Yoga last night. I don't know how far I will get. I am contemplating just going tomorrow, instead, as I went for a bit of a walk today.

As long as I'll get a run in before my 11 hour flight on Thursday, I'll be a happy camper!

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:57 am

So, did you end up going RG or not?

I just did something that I never thought I would do, I went for a stroller+dog run (not long, just over 4k). G and I were heading out and Huds was freaking that we were leaving him, so I thought I would take him around the block (walking) and then drop him off before the run. Well, I ended up just running around the block, and since it went ok (only got my arm pulled off 2X) we went further. Now I have a sleeping baby and tired dog- woohoo! :D
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:45 am

I am SUPER impressed, PTS!!! WOW - I couldn't even imagine it!!! You are my hero!

I did end up going out yesterday. I figured that today will be busy enough without trying to squeeze in a run. Instead I'll have to squeeze in a 30 minute pilates DVD to get my back sorted out before flying tomorrow.

Will be off the boards for 3 weeks (and I just got back!), but will connect when I return. Will bring my running shoes - will be fun to run through the rice paddies ;) Will try not to sprain my ankle this time!

Will miss my hot running mamas!

RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:53 am

randomgirl wrote:I am SUPER impressed, PTS!!! WOW - I couldn't even imagine it!!! You are my hero!

I did end up going out yesterday. I figured that today will be busy enough without trying to squeeze in a run. Instead I'll have to squeeze in a 30 minute pilates DVD to get my back sorted out before flying tomorrow.

Will be off the boards for 3 weeks (and I just got back!), but will connect when I return. Will bring my running shoes - will be fun to run through the rice paddies ;) Will try not to sprain my ankle this time!

Will miss my hot running mamas!

RG

That is no fun about your back, i hope it gets better soon.

Have a great time! Take lots of pics so that the little lady can look back on her big adventure. Good luck with the flight! Oh, and I always think of your spraining ankle story when seeing a rice paddy (seriously, it gives me a giggle every time- sorry!).

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 am

wow prats!! That's amazing!!

We sometimes go on "family runs" - Ironboy pushes the stroller, and I let Sheamus pull me - it helps even out our paces. ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm

gulp... I didn't realize that anyone remembered my twisting ankle story.... I have a feeling that I will have to do some serious convincing for Y's family to let me out the door in my running shoes on this trip...!

Take care!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 pm

I haven't run since last Thursday in Naramata. Today is a regularly scheduled run day, but after the trip, I think it's more important for John to have a quiet day in his own house. We have had two rough bedtimes in a row and I would like to avoid that tonight.

My hip (SI joint) is still bugging me, but I see my chiro on Friday, thank goodness.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I hope your hip pain goes away asap - SI joint pain is awful :( And I think you are right - more important for John to get back in the swing of things. That's the thing with being a running mom, I've noticed - sometimes it just ain't gonna work. Which is why I am holding off on all long distance races for a year or two - I don't want the pressure of HAVING to go for a run, irrespective of anything else in my life. Now it is family first, and running second, IYKWIM?

Take care ladies, and safe running! Off to Japan for a few weeks and will definitely check in when I get back. No internet at PIL :( Will miss you guys, you totally give me strength to get out there when I totally don't feel like it!

:wink:
RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

Hey hot mommas, where are you?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:15 am

IronColl wrote:Hey hot mommas, where are you?

Sorry...you called? :) ;)
The Summer of Eng is over.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 am

I didn't have anything good to say about my last run, so I was keeping quiet. It was one of those runs that was so craptastic, it made me want to throw in the towel altogether. :?

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 pm

FishPants wrote:I didn't have anything good to say about my last run, so I was keeping quiet. It was one of those runs that was so craptastic, it made me want to throw in the towel altogether. :?

But what a great word!

I've been taking it easy because of my calf injury - don't want to wind up doing anything worse to it! On the bright side, I've re-discovered swimming, and discovered the joys of babysitting at the Y. If running is getting you down, can you find a Y (or similar gym), get a drop in pass for a day and book some babysitting? Sometimes a change and a break from the usual helps.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:10 pm

I have been doing my runs and I am 5km away from meeting my goal for the month!

On the flip side, I have also been back at the pool once a week. That is sucking, but I am happy to have the hot tub after.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Hammie wrote:
FishPants wrote:I didn't have anything good to say about my last run, so I was keeping quiet. It was one of those runs that was so craptastic, it made me want to throw in the towel altogether. :?

But what a great word!

I've been taking it easy because of my calf injury - don't want to wind up doing anything worse to it! On the bright side, I've re-discovered swimming, and discovered the joys of babysitting at the Y. If running is getting you down, can you find a Y (or similar gym), get a drop in pass for a day and book some babysitting? Sometimes a change and a break from the usual helps.

I don't think I invented it :)

I appreciate the suggestion, and our local facility does offer childcare, but I have a hard enough time leaving John with my husband, I don't think I could handle leaving him with strangers!

I am going to eventually book some husband-single-parenting time so that I can get into the pool. I also am going to suck it up and go for my regularly scheduled run tomorrow. I am wondering if it's the change in shoes that made my run stink so much on Sunday. I run on the track in Newtons, and I felt superfast Friday. I ran in my Asics on Sunday, and I felt like I was tripping over my feet and that I had forgotten how to run. Maybe I have adjusted to the Newtons? Or maybe Sunday was just an off day and I need to get over myself?

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 pm

FishPants wrote:I am going to eventually book some husband-single-parenting time so that I can get into the pool. I also am going to suck it up and go for my regularly scheduled run tomorrow. I am wondering if it's the change in shoes that made my run stink so much on Sunday. I run on the track in Newtons, and I felt superfast Friday. I ran in my Asics on Sunday, and I felt like I was tripping over my feet and that I had forgotten how to run. Maybe I have adjusted to the Newtons? Or maybe Sunday was just an off day and I need to get over myself?

Have your feet changed size or shape with the pregnancy? They may not be the right shoes for you anymore - or you might just be tired (you've got a great excuse :wink: )
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Hammie wrote:
FishPants wrote:I am going to eventually book some husband-single-parenting time so that I can get into the pool. I also am going to suck it up and go for my regularly scheduled run tomorrow. I am wondering if it's the change in shoes that made my run stink so much on Sunday. I run on the track in Newtons, and I felt superfast Friday. I ran in my Asics on Sunday, and I felt like I was tripping over my feet and that I had forgotten how to run. Maybe I have adjusted to the Newtons? Or maybe Sunday was just an off day and I need to get over myself?

Have your feet changed size or shape with the pregnancy? They may not be the right shoes for you anymore - or you might just be tired (you've got a great excuse :wink: )

They turned into water balloons, then shrunk again. I find the Newtons great, but am using them as indoor shoes.

Perhaps a trip to the RR or tech sop is in order!

I was tired and groggy that day, too :)

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

a craptastic run is still a run! :)

I figure that since becoming a mom, I'm more likely to have craptastic runs once in awhile - due to the length between runs, and the extra exhaustion - a bad run is still a run though! :)

Did everyone read smack's "no ATB ATB report" ?

Great read, good perspective. :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 am

Irongirl wrote:a craptastic run is still a run! :)

I figure that since becoming a mom, I'm more likely to have craptastic runs once in awhile - due to the length between runs, and the extra exhaustion - a bad run is still a run though! :)

Did everyone read smack's "no ATB ATB report" ?

Great read, good perspective. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. I think he should be an "honorary hot momma" member!

Running is just not happening this week, life is in chaos, I hope it returns to normal soon.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 am

pts wrote:Running is just not happening this week, life is in chaos, I hope it returns to normal soon.

Those weeks happen. It will get better.
The Summer of Eng is over.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:47 pm

Can shoes REALLY make that much of a difference? I had a fabulous run today, on the track with the stroller and my Newtons. My goal was 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, I only needed a lap or so more to get to 3K. I got to 3K, and John fell asleep, so I did another lap, and then felt so good I did another lap, and then I only needed 2 more laps to get to 4K, so I did those...final distance, around 4.1K.

I ended the run still feeling like I could do more, but John was due for a feed, and I wanted to get some stretching in. He ended up not eating anyway because there was too much to look at in the changeroom (lots of other babies and kids). I was getting tired towards the end, but more of the "I have run 4K" tired, not the "Oh my god kill me please so I don't have to run anymore" tired.

I find it odd that my track runs pushing the stroller are going so well, but my outside runs without the stroller suck. Maybe the stroller slows me down to the right pace? The shoes are changing it? I don't get it...

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:09 am

IronColl wrote:Hey hot mommas, where are you?

Sitting around getting fatter and fatter :( I know that I'm pregnant and it's "okay" but I miss running. I had some spotting at 6 weeks (right after my last run) which scared the bejeebers out of me! So after some bed rest, everything was good, but I haven't run since. I've been walking and this pregnancy is so much better than last time (thankfully!), but it's still hard to have the nice spring weather here now and see people running while I just get bigger. I miss running. I know that I'll run again in a few short months, but it's making me cranky right now to not be running. I just needed to vent a little bit to people who would understand :D

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:20 am

IronColl wrote:I have been doing my runs and I am 5km away from meeting my goal for the month!

On the flip side, I have also been back at the pool once a week. That is sucking, but I am happy to have the hot tub after.

WOHOOO about meeting the 100k.

Kristi- :( You were totally inspirational after last pregnancy with your running, so it is ok to be grumpy now since I am sure you will be back to kicking butt after babe #2 (and if you are not, then that is OK too).

Nice weather and I am dying to run, I promise myself I will forget this stupid dissertation for at least 1 hour this weekend and go for a run! :)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:48 am

Kristi, I understand exactly how you feel. Running is my stress relief and it was so frustrating to feel stressed and then not be able to relieve it. Hang in there!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:08 pm

FishPants wrote:Can shoes REALLY make that much of a difference? I had a fabulous run today, on the track with the stroller and my Newtons. My goal was 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, I only needed a lap or so more to get to 3K. I got to 3K, and John fell asleep, so I did another lap, and then felt so good I did another lap, and then I only needed 2 more laps to get to 4K, so I did those...final distance, around 4.1K.

I ended the run still feeling like I could do more, but John was due for a feed, and I wanted to get some stretching in. He ended up not eating anyway because there was too much to look at in the changeroom (lots of other babies and kids). I was getting tired towards the end, but more of the "I have run 4K" tired, not the "Oh my god kill me please so I don't have to run anymore" tired.

I find it odd that my track runs pushing the stroller are going so well, but my outside runs without the stroller suck. Maybe the stroller slows me down to the right pace? The shoes are changing it? I don't get it...

Next Wednesday meet me at the track at 10am and I will run with the stroller and you can run in your Newtons indoors without it.

My thought is pusing the stroller causes you to stay on your toes more with a bit of a forward lean. See if you can mimic that indoors without the stroller.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Ran/walked outside with the stroller. I had to laugh when I got home: time on my Garmin was 22:22 and I went 2.22km. I guess it is very easy to calculate my average pace today!

I don't know how much it counts, since I stopped at Save On and the bank halfway through the run and turned the timer off.

First half of the run was meh. Second half went really nicely, even though the stroller was heavier with my bag of groceries. Wore my trail shoes. It is gorgeous here today: I ran in a tank and capris, and the capris were almost too warm. I have to admit I did feel a little like a yummy mummy in my lulu outfit and bouncy ponytail. :oops:

Return to “The Scenic Route”