Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Kristi wrote:
IronColl wrote:Hey hot mommas, where are you?

Sitting around getting fatter and fatter :( I know that I'm pregnant and it's "okay" but I miss running. I had some spotting at 6 weeks (right after my last run) which scared the bejeebers out of me! So after some bed rest, everything was good, but I haven't run since. I've been walking and this pregnancy is so much better than last time (thankfully!), but it's still hard to have the nice spring weather here now and see people running while I just get bigger. I miss running. I know that I'll run again in a few short months, but it's making me cranky right now to not be running. I just needed to vent a little bit to people who would understand :D

Congratulations Kristi! I totally missed this :( How far along are you??

I totally miss running right now with all the nice weather, but I made the right decision for me. Walking is a poor substitute though :?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 pm

LadyJ wrote:
Kristi wrote:
IronColl wrote:Hey hot mommas, where are you?

Sitting around getting fatter and fatter :( I know that I'm pregnant and it's "okay" but I miss running. I had some spotting at 6 weeks (right after my last run) which scared the bejeebers out of me! So after some bed rest, everything was good, but I haven't run since. I've been walking and this pregnancy is so much better than last time (thankfully!), but it's still hard to have the nice spring weather here now and see people running while I just get bigger. I miss running. I know that I'll run again in a few short months, but it's making me cranky right now to not be running. I just needed to vent a little bit to people who would understand :D

Congratulations Kristi! I totally missed this :( How far along are you??

I totally miss running right now with all the nice weather, but I made the right decision for me. Walking is a poor substitute though :?

28 weeks...I think? I'm due at the end of June. I miss running like crazy today! I get really cranky when I see other runners and I agree, walking is a very poor substitute!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Congrats Kristi
The Summer of Eng is over.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm cranky. I'm PMSing (which really sucks, because I'd like to be knocked up), and I really wanted to run tonight.

I'm exhausted though. The thought of getting dressed to go for a run put me in tears. Delilah was a handful and a half tonight. I think I'm just going to go to bed.

Is washing down my advil with Baileys and milk a good or bad thing?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Irongirl wrote:I'm cranky. I'm PMSing (which really sucks, because I'd like to be knocked up), and I really wanted to run tonight.

I'm exhausted though. The thought of getting dressed to go for a run put me in tears. Delilah was a handful and a half tonight. I think I'm just going to go to bed.

Is washing down my advil with Baileys and milk a good or bad thing?

I think that this is a good sign to skip tonight's run. Your shoes will still be there tomorrow. We've had some rough evenings (and nights) lately too and I understand the exhaustion and frustration that it causes.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 pm

I had Auntie help today while I ran. She ran with the stroller, and I ran without. Here's what we found:

-I am approx. 10 sec/lap faster without the stroller, which is about 40s/km.
-I am pretty consistent with my pacing. I had 3 laps in a row that were all 1:50, then 3 laps that were 2:00 (I was walking a little more on those laps)
-I think it's the shoes.

I was expecting a super craptastic run today, as I did not get much sleep last night. Someone was awake from about 1:30 until after 4 am. I don't know if it was teething, but he did not want to nurse and he did not want to sleep in the crib. He kept falling asleep on me, and would cry when I put him down in the crib. At just before 4, we gave him some tylonel, and then he slept until 730. I would not have gone for my run if Colleen was not expecting me! But it ended up being better than I expected. I also was a little dehydrated, and the 3-word-muscle that has tibia in it was crampy (right leg only). I did just over 3km in about 26 mins, including my warm up walk lap.

I remembered a snack for after :)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 am

Sorry to hear about the sleeplessness IG, Kristi and FP. :(

Sounds like a great run FP, yay for your help (I wouldn't dare stand-up IC either :lol: ).

I ran a bit this morning, mostly because I didn't want to walk Huds in the pouring rain. I'll count it, even if it was only about 2k!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 am

Oh... exciting :) Can I hijack? I'm a running mamma now. I used to be a runner most of my life until before I got pregnant. I had no desire to run when my boy was 1 year and younger. But just before he turned 2 this february I started back up out of pure necessity. If I don't get my run in I go a bit nuts. Being a single mom of a toddler... in full time University... without family around... My stress level is so high that I can feel it leaving my body with every step of my run.

As for strollers... I flat out refuse to run with my jogging stroller. Hate it. Love it for walks though. If this city had a flat area I might enjoy running with it. Unfortunately, it's difficult enough to run these hills on my own, let alone pushing that thing uphill...
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 am

Welcome to the club killerbee! :) I am in awe that you are a single mom in full-time Uni with a toddler, one of my students this past term was a single mom of a 4 yo in Uni, and I had so much respect for her, and she was an amazing student. :D

I was panning on a run this morning, and it is now SNOWING out, brrrrr. Oh well, coffee then I better get G bundled up and get out there before I lose my motivation. :roll:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:44 am

Dumbest question ever: How do those of you with toddlers shower after running with them in the stroller? G tries to get in the shower with me, but he is so hyper he tries climbing in and out and is going to hurt himself. I try to do it while he naps, but we are going out today for his nap time (car nap) so I had to do it beforehand. Any tips?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am

pts wrote:Dumbest question ever: How do those of you with toddlers shower after running with them in the stroller? G tries to get in the shower with me, but he is so hyper he tries climbing in and out and is going to hurt himself. I try to do it while he naps, but we are going out today for his nap time (car nap) so I had to do it beforehand. Any tips?

I'll jump in.

I either (1) bring the kidlet into the shower with me, they usually need one anyway, or (2) shower in our ensuite which has a shower enclosure (no climbing).

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 am

turd ferguson wrote:
pts wrote:Dumbest question ever: How do those of you with toddlers shower after running with them in the stroller? G tries to get in the shower with me, but he is so hyper he tries climbing in and out and is going to hurt himself. I try to do it while he naps, but we are going out today for his nap time (car nap) so I had to do it beforehand. Any tips?

I'll jump in.

I either (1) bring the kidlet into the shower with me, they usually need one anyway, or (2) shower in our ensuite which has a shower enclosure (no climbing).

Ok, at first I read the "I'll jump in" and a totally different thought ran through my head :oops: :lol:

I can't wait for our shower enclosure- in the new house- I never thought of that option but that is a great idea :)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 am

pts wrote:Ok, at first I read the "I'll jump in" and a totally different thought ran through my head :oops: :lol:

I can't wait for our shower enclosure- in the new house- I never thought of that option but that is a great idea :)

The other great thing about our enclosure is that its just clear glass. As long as I can see the kids and they can see me, everything is ok. Its when I'm behind the opaque curtain in they other bathroom they want to climb in.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 am

pts wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

I'll jump in.

Ok, at first I read the "I'll jump in" and a totally different thought ran through my head :oops: :lol:

I give Owen a job to do for me. He is the towel boy and has to hold my towl while I shower. He takes it very seriously and will hand me my towel when I am finished showering. Other than that sometimes he showers with me but usually we have a bathroom full of trucks and he keeps himself busy. I had to be very stern with him about trying to climb in too and it seemed to do the trick.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

To the shower question!

I'm one of those mom's whose kid will not do nice and obedient things like hold a towel :P He is more likely to unlock the child lock on the bathroom cabinet and start opening medicine bottles and pouring them in the toilet... or give himself a swirlie (one of his favourite pass times..

So, if you have a vibrant and *lively* child like mine, here is what I do:

I take him in the shower with me. These don't end up being full showers, but a few tricks I have learned are:

1) He takes in one or two toys that are water proof. He hates bath toys so this ends up being a ninja turle or some blocks.

2) I let him wash himself with some soap. He really likes taking charge so giving him a face cloth and a bar of soap makes him satisfied for about 30 seconds.

3) when he starts to squirm I pick him up and hold him to rinse us off.

So for my shower part, I very quickly soap down while he is briefly occupied with the soap and toys. This works enough to get the sweat off. And even if your LO will not occupy him/herself with toys or soap or facecloth, if you simply get in there with them in your arms you can still use the shower to rinse the sweat off you and take a real shower later when they are asleep. :)

Also, does your toddler like tv? I can get my 2yo to sit still for almost a full 3 minutes with Diego. If your bathroom is close to your living room you might try showering with the bathroom door wide open...

Good luck! I know how frustrating life can be with a rambunctious toddler.
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

pts wrote:Welcome to the club killerbee! :) I am in awe that you are a single mom in full-time Uni with a toddler, one of my students this past term was a single mom of a 4 yo in Uni, and I had so much respect for her, and she was an amazing student. :D

I was panning on a run this morning, and it is now SNOWING out, brrrrr. Oh well, coffee then I better get G bundled up and get out there before I lose my motivation. :roll:

Snow? wow. I walked to the pool in my shorts, sandals and tank top today!
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 pm

A hot running momma's thread without a single pic... pffft. Lame.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:55 pm

:roll:

During a race with Delilah (ugh - hate the running stroller!) ;)

Back at work - Delilah stopped in to see me after a run! :)

wow. she's so much bigger now!
i run for me.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Much better. :D

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:18 pm

We play a lot of peek a boo while I'm in the shower, which keeps Timmy amused. Hiding behind the curtain makes him laugh so he'll go from one end of the tub to the other and pull back the curtain. Otherwise I can sometimes sit him down with a couple of books (he has an obsession with cookbooks currently) and he'll go through those. If all else fails, I do what others have suggested and just take him in with me. So we're good with the shower - it's the hair drying that I have trouble with. I haven't come up with a good solution for that yet!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:22 pm

showering?

drying hair?

I do the first either early morning, or, at night when she's asleep.....

I don't dry my hair! :)
i run for me.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 pm

After a run, or a trip to the gym, sometimes a shower is necessary. I don't always dry my hair, but I tried when I was on mat leave to do it. To me, it was the same as wearing "real" clothes instead of comfy stuff all the time - not necessary, but made me feel less frumpy!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm

Kristi wrote:After a run, or a trip to the gym, sometimes a shower is necessary. I don't always dry my hair, but I tried when I was on mat leave to do it. To me, it was the same as wearing "real" clothes instead of comfy stuff all the time - not necessary, but made me feel less frumpy!

Oh, I totally understand why people do it - I didn't dry my hair before I had a kid.....

As for the shower, meh, maybe I just don't work hard enough! ;)
i run for me.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:00 pm

I never dry my hair. Naturally curly hair + blow dryer = FRIZZ. I just let it dry naturally.

This was from last week, as I was stretching.

Wait...I hope you aren't looking for pictures of the hot mom?? I am not quite there yet :P

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:34 pm

cute pics!

Here's me and my little devil :D
Jack's 2nd birthday Image

2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Return to “The Scenic Route”