Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 pm

randomgirl wrote:Oh! I am newly returned to the site so I didn't realize it was news - a super shout out to Lady J then - congratulations!!!! A fall baby then???

:)
RG

Thanks guys! Sept 22 is the due date. I'm hoping to be back running within a few months...maybe in time for a 5k at Resolution Run?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:32 pm

If it means anything to anyone, there was a girl running on Echo Drive (a street running parallel to the Canal for non-Ottawa peeps) clocking everyone running, pushing a largish toddler in a running stroller uphill. Pretty impressive. Can't imagine how fast she can run without the stroller. I'm used to people passing me, but some guys ahead of me looked pretty shocked when she made them look like they were standing still. :lol:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:49 pm

TCC wrote:If it means anything to anyone, there was a girl running on Echo Drive (a street running parallel to the Canal for non-Ottawa peeps) clocking everyone running, pushing a largish toddler in a running stroller uphill. Pretty impressive. Can't imagine how fast she can run without the stroller. I'm used to people passing me, but some guys ahead of me looked pretty shocked when she made them look like they were standing still. :lol:

I'm guessing that I know who that was - a girl that trains with Zone3 once in awhile has 2 kids and is smokin fast - even with a stroller! (and lives near there)

I got out for my run yesterday, and missed Delilah's bedtime - which I hate to do, but, I needed to run. The run wasn't great, but, I'm so glad I went! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:55 pm

LadyJ wrote:
randomgirl wrote:Oh! I am newly returned to the site so I didn't realize it was news - a super shout out to Lady J then - congratulations!!!! A fall baby then???

:)
RG

Thanks guys! Sept 22 is the due date. I'm hoping to be back running within a few months...maybe in time for a 5k at Resolution Run?

I did the 5k at the Resolution Run as my "first race back" - and, it wasn't easy, but, it was good timing, I think.

It was also nice that it wasn't chip timed. ;)
i run for me.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:55 pm

LadyJ wrote:Thanks RA! I guess you missed the Facebook announcement :wink:

ha. RA is on hiatus from facebook for Lent.
i run for me.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:24 pm

I missed it too! Congrats! Another RM baby...... squeeeee!
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Irongirl wrote:

Hence the winky face :wink:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:55 pm

LadyJ wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Hence the winky face :wink:

gotcha.
i run for me.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:04 pm

TCC wrote:If it means anything to anyone, there was a girl running on Echo Drive (a street running parallel to the Canal for non-Ottawa peeps) clocking everyone running, pushing a largish toddler in a running stroller uphill. Pretty impressive. Can't imagine how fast she can run without the stroller. I'm used to people passing me, but some guys ahead of me looked pretty shocked when she made them look like they were standing still. :lol:

Someone else for the "I hate her ;) " column...

I got sent a link to a blog from a woman who completed Ironman Canada 14 months postpartum.

In. Twelve. Hours.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:29 am

IronColl wrote:

I got sent a link to a blog from a woman who completed Ironman Canada 14 months postpartum.

In. Twelve. Hours.

haha, I was totally thinking the same thing, but thought I was just being bytchy! I have a neighbour at the cottage that has had 4 kids, she looks like she has the body of a 20 year old, and she has qualified for IM Hawaii a few times. If she were not so nice, I would hate her too!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:33 am

IronColl wrote:

In. Twelve. Hours.

Another one for you :) my blogger friend in Portland

http://climberchica.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... dness.html

She did however spend every minute of her 6 months of mat leave at pilates class :)
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:36 am

Holy six pack, wonderwoman!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

k8
Johnny Miles

Postby k8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:30 am

i'm only popping my head in because when i read the title of the thread my initial thought was "hot running" as in "hot yoga" and i thought this was a new crazy regime or something!

and pts, you can always book a run date with me.! as long as we find a trail or path somewhere, i'm sick of streets already.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:31 pm

I was so proud of myself the one and only time that I passed someone running while I pushing the stroller. I don't think that she was very impressed. :)

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:37 pm

IronColl wrote:Holy six pack, wonderwoman!

indeed!! i thought this entry was cute, though -- and a propos for this thread. :lol:

http://climberchica.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... artum.html
...I slept through my Tuesday morning run. As a consequence for being a lazy ass, I then had to complete my run after work, pushing the jogging stroller.

Oh, how I hate that jogging stroller.

I remember being pregnant and looking at jogging strollers and actually getting excited about such torture devices. I imagined being cute and perky, getting fit and pushing a babbling baby at the same time.

Screw that. Have you ever weighed one of those things? Have you ever weighed my baby? She may only be in the 5th percentile, but 16 pounds is 16 pounds whichever way you look at it. And I don't see YOU pushing 16 pounds when you run, much less whatever the jogging stroller weighs.

So, yeah, I hate it. But it's better than not running at all and it wasn't raining, so I did it anyway. Hazel and I did 6 miles and by the end of it, I was confident my hips would never move in any normal direction again, not without a great amount of pain at least. Hazel was asleep. Her hips felt fine, I am sure.

On Wednesday morning, when the alarm went off at 5am, I was actually excited to go to Pilates. I secretly hoped that Reformer Pilates would make my hips functional again. I NEEDED Pilates to make my hips functional again, because man, did they hurt.

ladyj -- congrats to you and joe!!! :D

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:17 pm

ha, yup, that's exactly how I felt, and I how I feel now about the running stroller.

try telling that to a pregnant lady though. ;)
i run for me.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:36 am

Irongirl wrote:ha, yup, that's exactly how I felt, and I how I feel now about the running stroller.

Ditto. I had these visions of going for 2 hour long runs (since I would have SO MUCH spare time when on mat leave- haha). Now, all I can do is laugh at that thought. :lol:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:38 am

pts wrote:
Irongirl wrote:ha, yup, that's exactly how I felt, and I how I feel now about the running stroller.

Ditto. I had these visions of going for 2 hour long runs (since I would have SO MUCH spare time when on mat leave- haha). Now, all I can do is laugh at that thought. :lol:

ah, the spare time dream. :)

Our running stroller gets great usage - walking about 400m every day back and forth to the sitter's! :)

It's a great stroller - I just don't like running with it!

Back to "running mama's" - I had an awesome 10km run this weekend with the RR - NO HIP PAIN!! :) I'm really starting to think that my hip issues are related to me getting back out running too soon after having Delilah.
i run for me.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 am

pts wrote:

Double ditto! I thought I would train for my marathon pushing the stroller. :lol: An hour is my max and I don't get that far.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am

Tori wrote:
pts wrote:

Double ditto! I thought I would train for my marathon pushing the stroller. :lol: An hour is my max and I don't get that far.

I would really like to know where all my "spare time" I was going to have on mat leave went. I was going to get so much done around the house...

Mom-Me points and laughs at Pregnant-Me.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 pm

My experience...

The first year is an adjustment with feedings, sleeping (haha), diapers, being at home, etc, so time management is difficult and unpredicatable. I found when I was at home with Jake time did just slip away, especially the first 6 months. After that when a routine was established I was able to do a lot more. I can't recall doing a lot of cooking, but I did start marathon training.

Now that I juggle two kids and activites, as well as working about 10 hours a week and doing distance learning, I feel like I can get a lot done in a day. I only do maybe 10% of suppertime cooking, but I do lunch and snacks. There are still days where I don't get as much done as I need to, but that's life.

It also helps that Jake and Cait are playing together so I can get some stuff done (and have some relax internet time). I'm not trying to be a know it all. Like I said, I went through the "where did all the time go" as well.

An hour pushing a stroller is a long time! But like blogger said, that run can be better than no run. Sometimes.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:47 pm

My run was thwarted by the rain :( Just as we arrived at the path it started to pour, and I had no rain stuff for G :( That is my second pet peeve with stroller running, how you are so weather dependent (or preparation dependant if you still run in bad weather, you need all the stuff!)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 pm

HAHAHA free time!!! I too had that dream.... and meanwhile it is all I can do to keep it together here at home, LOL!

I too HATE the weather thing - pre mom days, I had dreams of pushing a sleeping baby in the jogging stroller with the plastic cover on it - after all, all the babies looked so happy in th pictures! Truth be told, Maia is TERRIFIED of the noise of the rain hitting the plastic and SHRIEKS if the cover comes anywhere near her, lol!

Siiiigh~!

A
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Today's run is being cancelled in favour of a rest day. I have a teething girl who is not sleeping well. If she weren't 23lb I would swear that it is December 2008. I hate having to take the rest day especially since I want to make my 100km goal, but today is more about getting by and doing the work that I couldn't do last night or this morning.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

IronColl wrote:Today's run is being cancelled in favour of a rest day. I have a teething girl who is not sleeping well. If she weren't 23lb I would swear that it is December 2008. I hate having to take the rest day especially since I want to make my 100km goal, but today is more about getting by and doing the work that I couldn't do last night or this morning.

Aww, hang in there, teething SUCKS! :(

I also am taking a work day in favour of a running day (with my running friend too, so I miss a social day). I had a bit of a freak out last night about being so far behind in my dissertation, and lately G has not gone to bed until about 8pm, so I am not getting the evening hours to work on it anymore. So, a run was just going to add to the stress, not relieve it.

Return to “The Scenic Route”