Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Just wanted to say that I saw IG out running this evening, and she looked GREAT....!

You HRM's are awesome!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Irongirl wrote:i'm good for the 12th or the 18th (19th is father's day)

it would just be dex and i if it's in the afternoon though - Delilah naps from 12;30-3ish :D

I forgot about Father's day....shhhh don't tell Joe!

Let's take that one off the table.

Sun June 12
AndyM
IG

Sat June 18
AndyM
IG
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Adding in a morning option...

Sun June 12
AndyM
IG

Sat Jun 18, 9-12

Sat June 18, 1-4
AndyM
IG[/quote]

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Adding in a morning option...

Sun June 12
AndyM
IG+Dexter

Sat Jun 18, 9-12
IG+Delilah+Dexter

Sat June 18, 1-4
AndyM
IG+Dexter
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 26, 2011 6:04 am

Cute M&G pics!

I ran on the weekend, and didn't feel overly sore the next day! :)

I was going to run last night, I had my stuff out and everything. But... I put G down for the night, and fell asleep with him in his bed. By the time I got up, all I wanted to do was go to bed myself. :oops: Tonight is date night (babysitter for G and we are going out with M) and tommorow I am going to my ILs, so I am not sure when I will get a run in? I may try to go tommorow AM before DH starts work.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu May 26, 2011 6:41 am

pts wrote:Cute M&G pics!

I ran on the weekend, and didn't feel overly sore the next day! :)

I was going to run last night, I had my stuff out and everything. But... I put G down for the night, and fell asleep with him in his bed. By the time I got up, all I wanted to do was go to bed myself. :oops: Tonight is date night (babysitter for G and we are going out with M) and tommorow I am going to my ILs, so I am not sure when I will get a run in? I may try to go tommorow AM before DH starts work.

that sounds a lot like my 'come-back' to running - I had so many intentions, but, the days just kept getting away from me. From about 2-3.5 months PP, I think i ran 2-3 times a week. Then, i kinda just stopped for almost a month!

i'm back at it now - and what will keep me going this time is the clinic......i really have trouble getting out the door without that commitment.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 am

I think I just found a "squash" mommies group to go to on fridays. I used to play squash, and I met a mom who goes on friday mornings, and as long as there are 3 moms then 2 play and one watches the kids, and then they switch around. She asked me to play, no commitment, just week to week you say if you are going or not. A great way to get exercise and to meet local moms! :D

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 am

Oh, and I just wanted to add something of an observation. A mom I met today has two kids, and the young one is 4 weeks, the older one is just turning 2. She was talking about how "easy" it is, how her older one is great, etc etc, and I was feeling like a bad mommy since it is NOT easy for me, and G is not always great with M. But, then I watched them play, and G was all over the place, exploring new things, climbing, talking to EVERYONE etc. Her child was very quiet and she said he takes a long time to warm up to people and is very calm. At the end of the day, I love my little hyper guy, and he would not be the same if he were different. Of course, I would be totally OK if M was of the calm variety too :lol:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 pm

pts wrote:I think I just found a "squash" mommies group to go to on fridays. I used to play squash, and I met a mom who goes on friday mornings, and as long as there are 3 moms then 2 play and one watches the kids, and then they switch around. She asked me to play, no commitment, just week to week you say if you are going or not. A great way to get exercise and to meet local moms! :D

That's great pts! Sounds like fun!!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Some pictures from yesterday:
(Mommies, let me know if you'd like the originals - there are more on my FB)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu May 26, 2011 2:58 pm

pts wrote:Oh, and I just wanted to add something of an observation. A mom I met today has two kids, and the young one is 4 weeks, the older one is just turning 2. She was talking about how "easy" it is, how her older one is great, etc etc, and I was feeling like a bad mommy since it is NOT easy for me, and G is not always great with M. But, then I watched them play, and G was all over the place, exploring new things, climbing, talking to EVERYONE etc. Her child was very quiet and she said he takes a long time to warm up to people and is very calm. At the end of the day, I love my little hyper guy, and he would not be the same if he were different. Of course, I would be totally OK if M was of the calm variety too :lol:

It's not easy for me, either! John is horrible with Damon, and has been sick, so he has been whiny and clingy. He also is probably a 0.025 on the listening scale (from 0-10, 10 being "always listens"), and is often very high energy.

I am lucky in that Damon is a fairly straightforward baby, but there is nothing about having two kids that is easy. I am finding on days when I only have Damon, THAT is "easy".

right now, I am looking forward to having no houseguests so we can finally get Damon into his own room. He is a noisy sleeper. He's snoring right now, and he sounds like a pug.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 pm

I think everyone has the days that are easy, the days that are "easy" and the ones that just suck, but everyone's version of easy is different. She may also be convincing herself that things are easy. And if they sincerely are, then good for her! Don't judge yourself based on her.

What works for me is planning ahead and if we have to be out the door at a certain time, the more I can have done the day before (snacks, full diaper bag, etc) the better for us. I have yet to be on time for Jake's pre-K (or maybe I was once) but all of us getting out the door fed and dressed is a victory over here. But the more prepared I am the easier things are.

And on the topic of running, I made 4 runs last week and will do 3 this week, one being a race on Sunday. I am so worn out from teaching the extra classes I picked up to make up for the ones I subbed out when Cait was sick. Justin is napping now, older ones are having quiet time, so it's an easy decision what I'm doing next.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu May 26, 2011 7:49 pm

jes wrote:

This picture looks like he's telling her a secret to cheer her up.
I love it.
Beautiful babies (all of them!)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 pm

pts wrote:Oh, and I just wanted to add something of an observation. A mom I met today has two kids, and the young one is 4 weeks, the older one is just turning 2. She was talking about how "easy" it is, how her older one is great, etc etc, and I was feeling like a bad mommy since it is NOT easy for me, and G is not always great with M. But, then I watched them play, and G was all over the place, exploring new things, climbing, talking to EVERYONE etc. Her child was very quiet and she said he takes a long time to warm up to people and is very calm. At the end of the day, I love my little hyper guy, and he would not be the same if he were different. Of course, I would be totally OK if M was of the calm variety too :lol:

This is probably going to sound snarky but I say she is lying. My kids are great and I have easy days but overall kids are not easy. Even when they are being easy I'm wondering about pre-schools, french immersion and a million other things about their future. I'm not a worry wart but saying it's easy is denial.

A friend of mine has a blog about her parenting and life and one day she had a post the was an eye opener. Normally all her posts are very positive, life is wonderful etc. Then one day she made a post where she talked about someone commenting on how her blog is so positive and makes it look so easy having twins. My friend proceeded to write that it's not easy at all she just chooses to only share the good parts because those are the parts she wants to remember. Her blog is her scrapbook and when she goes back through it she wants to read happy memories. Since then she has had the odd difficult day post but over all the blog is still very positive. So on a less snarky note maybe this Mom is just so focused on maintaining the happy image? Maybe she could really use someone confiding to her that it's not easy for them so she can admit it for herself?
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 pm

farmgirlinthecity wrote:A friend of mine has a blog about her parenting and life and one day she had a post the was an eye opener. Normally all her posts are very positive, life is wonderful etc. Then one day she made a post where she talked about someone commenting on how her blog is so positive and makes it look so easy having twins. My friend proceeded to write that it's not easy at all she just chooses to only share the good parts because those are the parts she wants to remember. Her blog is her scrapbook and when she goes back through it she wants to read happy memories. Since then she has had the odd difficult day post but over all the blog is still very positive. So on a less snarky note maybe this Mom is just so focused on maintaining the happy image? Maybe she could really use someone confiding to her that it's not easy for them so she can admit it for herself?

This is a nice thought. I always say that Damon is such a good baby. He is very straightforward. That doesn't mean that the days are not challenging!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
jes wrote:

I love it.

or the baby version of "it gets better"

what the heck am i doing in this thread?
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 am

Suess- :lol:

farmgirl- good thought and maybe that is the case. A friend told me (on a particularly bad day for me) "You spend your pregnancy worrying that you will never love another person as much as you love your first child, and then spend the first few months of your new baby's life trying to remind yourself that you love your first child" :lol:

FP- Hang in there, sick toddlers are the worst. I hope the flu bug goes by quickly, and John will adjust soon. G is so much better even this week as compared to last (week 5 was the worst for us).

On a running-related note- I managed to combine date night with what I am calling my "run". I tested treadmills last night, and ran 5 intervals of 1.5 min. My hip was killing me though, and I don't really know what to do about it. My whole side that I carry M on (in a sling) is sore. I think I need to switch to my more structured carrier.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 am

seuss wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:
jes wrote:

I love it.

That's what I was thinking too!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 am

seuss wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:
jes wrote:

I love it.

what the heck am i doing in this thread?

I love this picture - it totally looks like Z is trying to cheer C up with a few words of encouragement! (not sure if this is before or after he poked her in the eye...)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 27, 2011 8:56 am

And now for my exciting news....I RAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the "all clear" at my 6 week appointment yesterday, and nothing - not even pouring rain - could stop me from getting out there this morning! C gifted us with a great night of sleep (I love that my idea of a great night is three blocks of 2.5 hours of sleep, plus one extra wake-up!), and when she got up at 7:30, we went into the living room, she ate and I pumped, I got us both changed, and then handed her back to D and headed out!

I took it nice and easy - about 20 minutes, at about 7 min/km pace with one minute-ish walking break in the middle. I felt great! In fact, the only thing that bothered me was my lack of a second bra - now I know for next time!

This was also my first time away from Charlotte for more than running into a store while she was parked in the car with D right outside. I came home, and they were making coffee with her in the carrier. D slipped her out onto a blanket on the bathroom floor so I could shower while he headed off to work. She even stayed sleeping there long enough for me to get dressed. Success on all fronts!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:And now for my exciting news....I RAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the "all clear" at my 6 week appointment yesterday, and nothing - not even pouring rain - could stop me from getting out there this morning! C gifted us with a great night of sleep (I love that my idea of a great night is three blocks of 2.5 hours of sleep, plus one extra wake-up!), and when she got up at 7:30, we went into the living room, she ate and I pumped, I got us both changed, and then handed her back to D and headed out!

I took it nice and easy - about 20 minutes, at about 7 min/km pace with one minute-ish walking break in the middle. I felt great! In fact, the only thing that bothered me was my lack of a second bra - now I know for next time!

This was also my first time away from Charlotte for more than running into a store while she was parked in the car with D right outside. I came home, and they were making coffee with her in the carrier. D slipped her out onto a blanket on the bathroom floor so I could shower while he headed off to work. She even stayed sleeping there long enough for me to get dressed. Success on all fronts!

wooohooooo! :dance:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri May 27, 2011 9:31 am

Yay scrummy!!

Do you have a ta-ta tamer? I found mine worked even when I was at my fullest, and I only needed the one bra.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri May 27, 2011 10:22 am

Yay for getting out to run, Scrummy!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri May 27, 2011 11:15 am

Great job, scrummy! :D I had to upgrade my bra post-John (my regular bra in a larger size) but I only needed one :)

Horrible night here. John screamed for about 3 hours. He finally went back to sleep around 6 when I said "Mommy needs to sleep. I don't care if you stay awake, but no more crying! You need to be quiet!"

Trying to get us all organized to be out of the house by 11 as I have an appt at 1130. I had booked it on a day Dan was off so I would only have to wrangle one kid, but rescheduled when we all had the flu.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 am

That's amazing jess!!! I'm so happy for you :D

And it's so funny how our ideas of a great night's sleep have changed eh?

Return to “The Scenic Route”